Moody Carbineer History

Stobart

Visit site
I have owned a Carbineer 46 for a few years and have met only two other owners in that time. I would love to know more about their building history. I know they were built over about 10 years roughly 15 of the 44' and 15 of the 46' (mine, Narooma was launched in 1979), but I would like to know how they developed in that time, how different owners had different specifications and really anything else about their development standard equipment etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'd also love to hear from any other owners past and present!

Wandering Star

Visit site
Apropos of nothing, there's a very neglected Moody Carbineer ashore at Bucklers Hard. Possibly called Martie? She's been there for at least 20 years, I liked her and tried to find who owned her with a view to purchasing her her cheaply but unfortunately drew a blank. That was 10 years ago and she's still there looking even more forlorn! Presumably the owner is still paying her storage charges but the Harbourmaster at that time (Mike Grindley I think) wouldn't divulge anything to me.

Hope you find the info and contacts you're seeking.

alant

Visit site
Apropos of nothing, there's a very neglected Moody Carbineer ashore at Bucklers Hard. Possibly called Martie? She's been there for at least 20 years, I liked her and tried to find who owned her with a view to purchasing her her cheaply but unfortunately drew a blank. That was 10 years ago and she's still there looking even more forlorn! Presumably the owner is still paying her storage charges but the Harbourmaster at that time (Mike Grindley I think) wouldn't divulge anything to me.

Hope you find the info and contacts you're seeking.

The owner has died & didn't want it sold to another owner. His estate pay the charges (according to those who know at BH).

Cantata

Visit site
I have owned a Carbineer 46 for a few years and have met only two other owners in that time. I would love to know more about their building history. I know they were built over about 10 years roughly 15 of the 44' and 15 of the 46' (mine, Narooma was launched in 1979), but I would like to know how they developed in that time, how different owners had different specifications and really anything else about their development standard equipment etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'd also love to hear from any other owners past and present!
I'd suggest you join the MOA www.moodyowners.net, you should be able to do all that. Only 20 quid a year and good value.

Blueboatman

Visit site
The perfect owner surely? Pays , doesn't moan, doesn't come near it and doesn't move..

Presumably either the estate will dry up or the offspring of the possible offspring will venture a review of the situation if so inclined?

Maybe its a mausoleum.

Or a taunt to those who survived him, ha!

Anyway, "the owner is always ( dead) right", no?

An immaculate example near me showed off the powerful graceful design and beautiful teak joinery work to perfection. Quite a posh yacht, lovely

Last edited:

Wandering Star

Visit site
The owner has died & didn't want it sold to another owner. His estate pay the charges (according to those who know at BH).
Thanks for that Alan, i wasn't aware. No longer interested in the boat but it had always been a mystery to me. A potentially beautiful boat with lovely lines just standing and deteriorating year on year.

D

Deleted member 36384

I wonder! In the late 1980s I taught this bloke from the IOM to sail over two years. He was quiet unassuming, anorak, flat cap, small hold-all. He would turn up by taxi having flown to Glasgow from the IOM and off we would go for a week, this happened a few times a year over the two years. The only odd thing about his style was he smoked big, expensive cigars and was a diabetic. Anyway, he told me he was getting a new Moody Carbineer built and he was going to sail around the world, then he told me his story. When Liverpool docks were ruined and the land was not worth much he bought bits of it up. Later he started selling it off and made a small fortune, moved to the IOM and lived out his life financially secure. He also owned a wee Westerly in the IOM too, had a girl friend and lived with his Mum, whom he talked about a lot, Mum this, Mum that. In the early 1990s, or ’89, I can’t recall I got a phone call from his Mum. He had died in Gibraltar on his boat; diabetic coma then died in the aft cabin. I believe the boat was eventually collected by Moody and brought back to the UK, I am certain about this, becuase my boss made enquires about the collecting the boat. He was a stubborn guy, not your flash rich bloke of the 1980s and I could well imagine him having an opinion that he worked hard for his cash and it’s all his; maybe it is his boat that is on the hard. Timing is about right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seajet

Visit site
Thanks for that contact. I'll get in touch with him

Presumably not the bloke mentioned in the above post, unless you're a dab hand with a Ouija board ?!

Seems an awfully selfish attitude not allowing the boat to move on, she could be doing something useful taking underpriveleged folk sailing or something, if selling is too distasteful...

Tranona

Visit site
Presumably not the bloke mentioned in the above post, unless you're a dab hand with a Ouija board ?!

Seems an awfully selfish attitude not allowing the boat to move on, she could be doing something useful taking underpriveleged folk sailing or something, if selling is too distasteful...

The boat in question is neither suitable for that use, nor is it in a condition that could ever be usable (economically) again. It might have been 20 years ago when it was abandoned, but it is now just a decaying hulk. The owner (or his widow in this case) is entitled to do whatever they want with their property, even if others don't approve.

Sybarite

Visit site

There is an immaculately kept one based in Deauville, old harbour. All possible extras including two radars.

Stobart

Visit site
Thanks for that. Yes I have seen it and indeed been in touch with the Association (of which I am a member) but everything is rather 'thin'! I was hoping that someone would reply who either built them or owned an early one. Thanks again for your help.

sylvana

Visit site
Carbineer 46

Hi there I own a Moody Carbineer 46, build number 5760 which was also launched in 1979. She is currently called Brigitte Ann and we have owned her for a year. I have boxes of paperwork including original drawings, electrical specs etc and am happy to share these. My yacht was originally built for Noel MacKinnon, the owner of Drambuie and was then named Whistling Maid. She has been extensively restored with all new systems and too much work to list here. She has cruised extensively including USA, Bahamas, Brazil, most of the Carribean and Europe, alas not by me! I don't think that much was standard but that each was built to order. I am still researching but found that mine was originally specified with electric furling main and genoa from Hood and all B&G instruments. She is the perfect yacht for us and I cannot envisage selling her. I would like to have covers made to cover the windows and deck saloon teak and would like to hear your opinion of these as I believe Narooma has these fitted. I too would be interested to compare notes on some aspects of these yachts and learn more about my own. Kind regards.