Moody 37/376 buying advice and alternatives?

Kelpie

Visit site
Playing a long game here and considering what the next boat, in a few years time, might look like. Usage would be a few years of bluewater cruising with a young family.
Really like the look of the various Moodys, especially the 37 and 376. Moderate draft, acceptable performance. Two heads, decent cockpit locker space, passage cabin/workshop, excellent aft cabin. The way prices are going I would expect to get a good example in budget when the time comes.

I'm well aware of the folly of getting attached to a particular make/model so wondering what others to put on the shortlist. And also any particular issues with the Moody that I should be aware of?

Tranona

Visit site
Some owners on here such as graham376 and andrewB who will no doubt respond.

They were first on my list 15 years ago when I started my project to have a boat in the Med. as you say they tick a lot of boxes - but so do similar size Westerlys of the period and slightly newer Bavaria Ocean 38s. If I were looking now, the Bavaria would be my choice (they are different from the normal cruiser types). So, i have looked at a number of 37/376 and chartered one in the med to try it out. As it happened that experience was good because it convinced me that it was not a good buy for what I wanted so I bought a new Bavaria instead.
Pros are the accommodation, although the forecabin is cramped because of the space taken up by the large aft cabin and two loos. The centre cockpit is good if you like that, but it is a negative for me in the Med as the boat is really too small so the cockpit space suffers and access off the stern is poor. Aft cockpit is better for Med living, but down below living is more spacious.

Reasonably well built, but mild steel keel bolts mean bilges often look a mess although not a structural problem. Mild steel fuel tank eventually rots and is a pig to access. Ask owners about the joys of replacing toilet plumbing! Mast compression pads rot, but most will be fixed by now. Usual leaks for boats of that age that can lead to rot in bulkheads and cosmetic damage to varnish work that if neglected is time consuming to renovate.

Most of them will have had active lives - that is why people buy them so many are now well past it as you will see from the asking prices, which vary from £25-50k. Both optimistic, the lower because of the condition and expected refit costs and the upper because there is such a wide choice at that price point, many of which are arguably better buys.

Kelpie

Visit site
Wouldn't you be better off with an aft cockpit boat in the med?

I'm not specifically thinking about the Med- not that I'd rule it out, but tbh I'm far more interested the possibilities over the other side of the pond.

The Bav Ocean looks nice but currently quite far out of budget and too deep draft anyway.

I know there are heaps of late 80s/early 90s Ben/Jen types going about, and they look like a lot of fun to sail, but again it's the aft cockpit (=no proper aft cabin) and deep draft that puts me off. Obviously a good choice for the Med, but if I'm going to go to the hassle of moving on from the current boat I'd be looking for something with serious long term liveaboard potential- and as far as I can see that means centre cockpit.

GrahamM376

Visit site
We bought our 376 in 2003. so £20k spent on equipment and upgrades over the years including new engine. Could have bought a new Benny, Bav etc for the same money at the time but still prefer the 376.

The chain locker drains into the bilge so not surprisingly the keel stud nuts get rusty unless looked after, AFAIK, there has never been a keel fixing failure and the studs look like new when drawn. A few boats have had mast compression support problems but easy to fix. Also, a few various Moody models have had a problem with chain plate failure caused by lack of maintenance in renewing the sealing where they pass through the deck. Cabin side linings are foam backed but ceiling are easily removed ply panels, unlike Westerly.

Ours is the scheel keel version (4'6") and, sailing in company with the 1' deeper keeled version from Northern Portugal to Camaret, there was no noticeable difference in performance. Steers like it's on rails and the inboard pilot has copes well even when gusting F9. The centre cockpit with all lines led aft is very comfortable in rough conditions narrow enough to brace across but big enough to entertain with wheel off. IIRC we had 10 in cockpit for drinks before leaving.

Aft cabin is brilliant and has en-suite heads, as does forecabin. With forward opening fore hatch and saloon hatch and rearward opening aft cabin hatch, plenty of airflow when hot - 40 + sometimes. Would swap for a Santorin but not much else:)

Bobc

Visit site
I'm not specifically thinking about the Med- not that I'd rule it out, but tbh I'm far more interested the possibilities over the other side of the pond.

The Bav Ocean looks nice but currently quite far out of budget and too deep draft anyway.

I know there are heaps of late 80s/early 90s Ben/Jen types going about, and they look like a lot of fun to sail, but again it's the aft cockpit (=no proper aft cabin) and deep draft that puts me off. Obviously a good choice for the Med, but if I'm going to go to the hassle of moving on from the current boat I'd be looking for something with serious long term liveaboard potential- and as far as I can see that means centre cockpit.

If you're going to the Caribbean, most of your time will be spent in the cockpit under a bimini, so get something with a cockpit that's big enough to relax in. Living on a boat over there is very different from over here, and you'll find that a nice comfy boat for the UK could well be a seatbox over there.

Get a boat that ventilates well at anchor when facing into the breeze (centre cockpit boats don't tend to be great at this). Also, something with room for a bimini and some solar panels. The draft is not an issue out there, so don't let that cloud your judgement. Something with a sugar scoop and swim ladder is a big bonus, as is the ability to have davits on the back. Avoid teak decks and dark coloured hulls.

Personally, in your shoes, I would go and buy an ex-charter yacht out there. You get a lot more for your money.

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
Like GrahamM376, I've had a Moody 376 for several years, my fifth yacht, and have to say, very pleased with our choice, not considering changing.

It is a strong, well-ballasted yacht which means it is very stable, comfortable and forgiving to sail, well-balanced, a decent turn of speed, though it will not quite keep up with a modern lightweight cruiser. Once I'd renewed all the sealant around deck-fittings there are no leaks and I've never heard of problems with the rudder or keel which are attached a good deal better than on some modern yachts. I use it for Med cruising, but its strength and stability would make for a good blue-water cruiser, though it is not well enough insulated for cold-water cruising.

As most examples are now 25-30 years old you must of course expect rather more maintenance than a recent yacht. I've not had a problem with the fuel tank, but I've heard of other cases. It would indeed be very tiresome to replace. However, everything else is no less straightforward than normal.

The comfortable aft cabin is the big plus of a centre cockpit design, specially good in these Moodies, though the master bunk is perhaps just a little short for tall guys. (The 37 is better here, as it does not lose cabin length to the swim platform).

Last edited:

Pasarell

Visit site
You mention "with a young family" and that may be important. With a centre cockpit you have a pretty safe play space away from the water. Other than that it's very much down to personal preference. There are some remarkable bargains available in the Med for all types of boat. I bought a Moody 44 last year for living aboard with ayoung family and it is perfect for us in almost all ways except, occasionally, noise from quays at night when moored stern to. Living space below is excellent but cockpit space a bit limited. In the summer it's the wrong way round. Now it's the right way round! We wanted the 44 for space below but a family have just arrived in our marina with a recently bought 376 and. They have 2 girls and seem quite happy with the space available on a 376.
There are other centre cockpit boats available, Westerly's are probably best comparison, but if you are interested in the Moody go onto the association website and become a guest member. Loads of information available including from current owners about the quirks of a particular model. https://moodyowners.org/

Kelpie

Visit site
I've asked to join the MOA as a guest, will be interesting get some more in depth info.
I've followed a few discussions about aft vs centre cockpit, and whilst I do get the advantages of aft cockpit for a boat sailed by a couple in the Med, my feeling at the moment is more in favour of centre cockpit. With young kids aboard I like the extra protection and the benefits of a proper aft cabin.

From a bit of Googling I've come across the Westerly Corsair and Ocean Ranger as possible alternatives, as well as the Colvic Countess. Any others?

GrahamM376

Visit site
I've followed a few discussions about aft vs centre cockpit, and whilst I do get the advantages of aft cockpit for a boat sailed by a couple in the Med, my feeling at the moment is more in favour of centre cockpit.

What advantage? We've had 2 aft and 2 centre cockpit and find the centre cockpit an advantage and, being nearer the centre of pitch a more comfortable ride so crew rarely feels sick which she often did with aft cockpit,

Tranona

Visit site
I've asked to join the MOA as a guest, will be interesting get some more in depth info.
I've followed a few discussions about aft vs centre cockpit, and whilst I do get the advantages of aft cockpit for a boat sailed by a couple in the Med, my feeling at the moment is more in favour of centre cockpit. With young kids aboard I like the extra protection and the benefits of a proper aft cabin.

From a bit of Googling I've come across the Westerly Corsair and Ocean Ranger as possible alternatives, as well as the Colvic Countess. Any others?

The aft/centre cockpit debate has been well aired here over the years. The choice in some ways depends on your definition of liveaboard. For some the boat is a house substitute so lots of space down below, well partitioned up and with lots of storage space is the priority - particularly if you have children. This is where the older centre cockpit scores, but the loss is in the above decks lounging and working space - although as a sailing boat on long passages the centre cockpit works well. As I discovered however, when you get to hot climates where most of the time is spent at anchor or moored up the shortcomings become obvious. Cramped cockpit, claustrophobic down below, difficulty of fixing a bimini with good access onto deck, poor access for swimming etc. This is all particularly true if you have more people/children on board who are active.

Much of this is a function of size and the 37 to my mind just tries to pack too much in. Fine in northern climates where the end of a sail means going down below into a warm cosy cottage style room, but less good when most of the time is spent on deck and down below is just for sleeping and storage. Much of these constraints fall away as size increases so a 42' usually gives a better balance. If you look at aft cockpit modern style boats of similar size you find a different balance. You lose the spacious aft cabin (and usually only one loo) but gain in deck and cockpit space, although the aft cabins are perfectly adequate for sleeping in.

We found our Bav 37 much, much better than the Moody in the Med for all the reasons that are regularly discussed. Ours was twin aft cabins, and when there were just 2 of us we converted one to storage. Interestingly the family that bought it from us had previously lived in the med on an older centre cockpit Moody before they had children and specifically wanted an aft cockpit this time and the twin aft cabins gave the two children a cabin each. They have now taken the boat back to the Med.

The problem is you can only have one boat. In your position with a limited budget and a desire as I understand it to go transatlantic with children in a travelling "home" I would tend towards a centre cockpit and accept the downsides when at anchor etc. If however the aim was to spend most of the time relaxing in the sun rather than voyaging, I would go the other way, particularly if only two people. Rather than getting too worked up about the choice of style of boat, I would be more concerned about condition and equipment to avoid as much as possible fixing the boat on the go. I know you can't avoid some of that, but leaving knowing that some of the boat is nearing the end of its life is not a good start. Achieving that with a 30-40 year old boat of this size and complexity is a challenge, particularly if you are starting with one at the bottom end of the price range.

You have identified the main alternatives, but you might add the Oyster 39 and various Contest models to the list. It is a rather restricted market because such boats were only popular for a fairly short period and built in smallish numbers. There are, however, usually several of the popular Moody and Westerly possibilities on the market at any one time.

Paddy Fields

Visit site
You have identified the main alternatives, but you might add the Oyster 39 and various Contest models to the list. It is a rather restricted market because such boats were only popular for a fairly short period and built in smallish numbers. There are, however, usually several of the popular Moody and Westerly possibilities on the market at any one time.

According to the Oyster web site, only 43 of the Oyster 39 design were ever made. How often do they come up for sales?

Kelpie

Visit site
According to the Oyster web site, only 43 of the Oyster 39 design were ever made. How often do they come up for sales?

only one or two on the market at the moment,and a bit of a step up in price from a Moody, but I like the layout so worth keeping an eye out in the future.

Rafiki

Visit site

I have the Corsair, yes it seemed to be a direct competitor to the M376. Corsair available in three versions; Corsair, 1, 2 and Oceanranger. The interior layouts and quality of the woodwork improving with each version. The Oceanranger was the same hull but extended by the addition of a small sugarscoop stern, which makes it easier to get into and off the boat from a dinghy but can add a bit of slapping noise from wavelets when in harbour. I have the Corsair 2, and must say that the cosmetically looks more "modern". In all cases these are old boats therefore seek one out with a newish engine as replacing the old engine professionally will cost circa £10k. Similiarly instrumentation may well be old, and then there is the old bogy man of Osmosis ! You may well find that these oldish boats cost less than you think; maybe £25k to £35k depending on what has been replaced.

Gelfie

Visit site
Have you considered a Southerly 115. Center cockpit, large aft cabin and variable draught for anchoring or drying out for easy maintenance. We spend 3 months away each year and they are excellent for cruising and not bad in heavy weather.

siwhi

Visit site
We opted for a Moody 44 for a liveaboard boat with 2 kids. The children have a cabin each forward, with their heads, and we have the large aft cabin. The port side aft walk-through cabin serves as storage and the arrangement works well. Very happy overall with the set up down below, as we have a large space with en suite heads and plenty of storage for all the kit we need.

One thing I especially like is being able to see out the stern (transom) from the aft berth (our bed). We can keep a check on our movement at anchor, the dinghy, etc, and also the sea state when sailing. I would place looking out from my berth high on my priority list next time around. I would think a 37 might be a touch small for all the things you'll need and the kids stuff too.

As regards cockpit and deck space, well, with a sugar scoop stern it's not such a disadvantage moving around the boat, or getting in the dinghy etc, but getting out of the cockpit when the bimini is up is harder, especially when sailing hard as you have to be a little careful not to become entangled on something. The cockpit space itself is an ideal size for 4, but tight for more than this. Overall so far we're pretty happy it works for us, especially when sailing. The mainsheet is away from the kids and they are cocooned a bit somewhere safe(r), and we can deal with almost everything from hoist to reefing from the cockpit.

Most of the families we've met so far have been Dutch, Scandinavian or German (there seem to be fewer Brits doing this, but maybe they do the ARC), and centre cockpit HR's, Najad's etc, are quite a common choice. Partly no doubt as they offer the right level of compromise (age, price, layout features, etc) that people are looking for. The French (also many families) tend to go for French boats, eg, Beneteau Oceanis usually with standard aft cockpit layouts. Older Contests seem to be a little coffin like with fewer windows.

As regards a Moody versus say a more modern design - again pretty happy overall with a very solid boat, having made it to the Caribbean with very few issues - inevitably some, but they are OEM items. A newer boat might give some features we would want (eg bowsprit for gennakers, etc, electric winches, but you can't have it all)! Bigger / more windows and less steep companionway steps would be better, but the overall use of space is ideal. To my surprise we have been very satisfied with our speed given we use only old white sails in a fairly conservative manner: eg 5 days Gib - Canaries, 5 days Canaries - Cape Verde and 13 days Cape Verde - Barbados.

Happy Hunting!

Edit: I would check the length of the cockpit seats are long enough to sleep on with centre cockpits! Also the aft space on many liveaboards with kids is taken up with 'garage' stuff - in our case a liferaft, boadyboards, SUP, fishing rods, hose, solar frame, outboards, wind genny, etc, all of which are kept well out of the cockpit (though others may prefer to have those to hand in the cockpit).

Last edited:

Paddy Fields

Visit site
Have you considered a Southerly 115. Center cockpit, large aft cabin and variable draught for anchoring or drying out for easy maintenance. We spend 3 months away each year and they are excellent for cruising and not bad in heavy weather.

What is a good resource on the engineering of those swining keels? I’d like to understand them and what if anything can go wrong with them.

ashtead

Visit site
The post from siwhi illustrates why for longer distances a 44cc makes a great choice if within budget and of course at this length some of the failings highlighted by others in the 376 eg short bow cabin tend to be resolved. If you can face an older vessel and additional running costs etc then the choices offered by other makes in cc versions at this length offer a whole range of possibilities and the lines of such cc versions often seem more attractive You might however feel 44 is a daunting length for your chosen cruising area but as ever all down to your plans and funding but might be worth a look at benefits offered in terms of extra storage.