Modest, Sea-Kindly, Affordable .... is there anything wrong with a Moody 27?

OGITD

Visit site
As you might guess .... I don't have a Boat at the mo ... :(

The only consolation is that our 'Summer' has been one of the worst in a very long time. :ambivalence:

The Solicitors initial estimate as to closure (money for Boat) passed some twelve weeks ago .... but he has just sent a letter saying "any time now". :)

And there are 'loads' (quite a few) Moody 27's on the market at 10 - 15k less than the price of a Moody 28 or a Westerly Tempest ... which would allow me some 'funds' for upgrades, replacements, additions and modifications .... so ... is there anything wrong with a 27?

As our 'Seajet' would say ..... almost anything's going to be better than what I had previously :nonchalance: (thrown out of the back of a Hercules ... HA!) :eek: :rolleyes:

Kelpie

Visit site
I know of a decent 31 (aft cockpit, tiller steered) for sale in Broadford, mate about to put it on the market.

southseaian

Visit site
Nothing wrong with the design. Moody is a popular name in older British boat as are Westerly.
But watch out for osmosis as both brands have suffered a lot from this over the years. They were built to a price using manual methods and outdated resins in the UK.

maby

Visit site
Nothing wrong with the design. Moody is a popular name in older British boat as are Westerly.
But watch out for osmosis as both brands have suffered a lot from this over the years. They were built to a price using manual methods and outdated resins in the UK.

Now you surprise me! I have no first hand experience of Moodies, but they are always held up as examples of the better end of boat building! We did look speculatively at a new one a couple of years ago when we were researching the market - nice boat, but very expensive for what it offered.

OGITD

Visit site
I really do like the 28 .... but for the price-'hike' of a slightly better design down below ..... so .... can the 28 justify this? ... as there are lots of 27's .... & the difference in price would allow me to replace the engine, standing rigging, sails and buy a good size chart plotter ... well ... almost ..... :p

ionbard

Visit site
It's a little bigger, but we're selling a Moody 33 (mk2); very good condition - already re-engined and fairly recently replaced rigging. Based on Clyde, PM me if you want any more info. Great sea boat - and we'll be sad to give her up, had lots of fun trips around the W Coast.

DannyB

Visit site
The very first boat I ever sailed on was a Moody 27, more years ago than I care to remember. Spent a weekend on her and got me hooked on sailing.

PeteCooper

Visit site
I have sailed extensively on a Moody 27 and can honestly say I didn't like it. Under sail she was slow compared with my own boat, and took a lot more water on board. In performance terms I know that the OP is looking for bilge keel so I suspect that that would be even slower than the fin I sailed. I have also seen quite a few 27s with osmosis.

southseaian

Visit site
Now you surprise me! I have no first hand experience of Moodies, but they are always held up as examples of the better end of boat building! We did look speculatively at a new one a couple of years ago when we were researching the market - nice boat, but very expensive for what it offered.
Moody was originally a better quality timber boat builder based on the Hamble. The well respected name was used for marketing boats built elsewhere.

I believe that age of Moody (Moody 27) was built by Marine Products of Plymouth who also build the Sigma range of cruiser/racers. Many Moody designs are by Angus Primrose whilst David Thomas designed the Sigmas. Marine Products also built motor boats including ( I think) the Princess range.
The Sigmas sail very well, particularly the 33 and 38, Moodys tend to be more accommodation based with pretty average sailing abilities.

Before Moody marketing stopped trading they did sell some very expensive 'upmarket' 50 foot plus type yachts. Not sure who actually built these.
I believe the trade name Moody was sold to a foreign buyer around the time the marina was bought by Premier Marinas.

You won't go far wrong with a Moody. Good all round designs but only average sailing abilities.
So long as you buy a sound boat they make good investments (as far any boat ever does) as they are a respected design.

libertyman

Visit site
The first boat I owned was a Moody 27 which I bought in 1993. Had 3 lovely years with her before the kids out grew the forecabin and we upgraded. She was a lovely, comfortable, robust, family cruiser. Not a racer but neither was she "slow" - performance was perfectly adequate for her design brief. I had the bilge keel version and never felt at any great disadvantage. At the end of the day it all depends on what you want. If you have racing ambitions then the Moody would probably disappoint but if you are looking for an easily handled cruiser the the Moody may well fit the bill. Osmosis has been mentioned and my own boat did need treatment for this but then I think this was pretty common across many (most?) production boats of that era. Something to be surveyed for perhaps?

Hydrozoan

Visit site
... I believe that age of Moody (Moody 27) was built by Marine Products of Plymouth who also build the Sigma range of cruiser/racers. Many Moody designs are by Angus Primrose whilst David Thomas designed the Sigmas. Marine Products also built motor boats including ( I think) the Princess range. ...

Marine Projects, later Princess Yachts International, I think.

Cantata

Visit site
Moody was originally a better quality timber boat builder based on the Hamble. The well respected name was used for marketing boats built elsewhere.

I believe that age of Moody (Moody 27) was built by Marine Products of Plymouth who also build the Sigma range of cruiser/racers. Many Moody designs are by Angus Primrose whilst David Thomas designed the Sigmas. Marine Products also built motor boats including ( I think) the Princess range.
- Marine Projects built Moodys at Plymouth from about 1973. Earlier designs were mostly by Angus Primrose, then after his death they were all (I think) by Bill Dixon. The 27 was built from 1981 to 1985, 162 of them.
The Sigmas sail very well, particularly the 33 and 38, Moodys tend to be more accommodation based with pretty average sailing abilities. -Moodys might not be racing boats but almost without exception they sail very well.

Before Moody marketing stopped trading they did sell some very expensive 'upmarket' 50 foot plus type yachts. Not sure who actually built these.
I believe the trade name Moody was sold to a foreign buyer around the time the marina was bought by Premier Marinas. - Hanse licensed the name and still produce several Bill Dixon designs as Moodys.

You won't go far wrong with a Moody. Good all round designs but only average sailing abilities. - Vastly understating their sailing qualities IMHO!
So long as you buy a sound boat they make good investments (as far any boat ever does) as they are a respected design.

A few clarifications in bold above. And all this talk of osmosis surprises me. Not unheard of in the much older boats but still pretty rare.

Last edited:

OGITD

Visit site
Thanks for all the info & replies .... I now think the M27 is still a viable option .... on the basis of:
1, You are not part of the Racing Squadron.
2, You commission a good survey ... with an emphasis on osmosis.
3, And you're happy sailing in a British, well respected, comfortable, small cruiser.

Cantata

Visit site
If you do get a Moody, be sure to join the Owners' Association. If you do your own boat maintenance, the membership is a bargain because the support and help you'll get from the MOA tech forum is fantastic.

Reactions: pjv

Seajet

Visit site
I know a few chums who had Moody 27's; nothing drastically wrong with them, apart from being pretty slow for a 27 - all the ex-27 owners I can think of now have Moody 31's which seem altogether more capable boats.

Bearing in mind the age, a re-engined example seems a good bet if funds allow.

Last edited:

James_Calvert

Visit site
We test sailed a Moody 27 demo boat. The old salt who took us out on behalf of Moodys was keen to demonstrate how you could keep your passage speed up with judicious use of the engine.

I noted it for the future but did wonder why he made a point of it, we were too inexperienced to realise that it might have
seemed a bit slow for the (light) wind at the time, never thought of that until reading this thread. And for the record at the low revs used, the boat motorsailed along very nicely and quietly!

Last edited:

Grumpybear

Visit site
We went looking for a Moody 27 in 2001, absolutely determined to have only a proper British boat. We saw two or three, and were depressed by the gloominess and mustiness down below in each one. Then the broker persuaded us to look at a Jeanneau Sundream 28, and we suddenly realised that God had created Frenchmen for a purpose (though She had sensibly brought in Tony Castro to design it for them). Faster, more weatherly, more fun to sail, just as much stronger than we when it came to rough weather (a Channel crossing from Trebeurden to Plymouth in a NW5 which became an unforecast 7 six hours out comes to mind), and so much more pleasant to live in.

Fourteen years on, surviving 27s have probably been refurbished down below, so you may very well find one in better nick than we could. Best of luck with whatever eventually takes your fancy.

southseaian

Visit site
The likes of Moody and Westerly were still sticking padded vinyl everywhere long after the French (and Jeremy Rogers Contessas) were using smooth moulded head linings. Beware of sagging headlining with damp and decomposing form.