Missolonghi?

TRUNDLETRUC

Visit site
We will be travelling down the Gulf of Corinth in the next month. Hopefully someone on here will know the present situation in Missolonghi?
Can we anchor in the middle of the harbour? Can we use the Marina? Can we use the Quay? or is it best to stay away and go to Patras?
Is there any secret to getting a berth at Navpaktos or do people recommend anchoring outside?
Thanks for any help.

JFowler

Visit site
Can’t help with Messolonghi, but I understand Patras Marina was badly damaged by winter storms & is not accepting visitors until further notice. At the very least I suggest you contact them before making plans.

John

Irish Rover

Visit site
I checked Messolonghi a couple of months ago. There’s loads of room to go alongside in the port but no services. We had planned to overnight in Patras but we made better time than expected and made it to Galaxidi instead which has plenty opportunities for anchoring if you can’t get on the quay.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
From I have talk to lately who know what they talking about, there still no change with the marina , you can still go on the quay some time the PP will ask you to report in other times you wont be bothered ,
anchoring in the bay depend if there a ship coming in if you get moved or not.
is a shame how just one Greek man if you can call him that, have messed it up for so many

Hardmy

Visit site
Based on my visits in June and October 2017.

Missalonghi marina was closed. The guy taking the harbour fees (when you stay on the quay) spoke about a former owner of the marina making all sorts of problems. A couple of yachts were anchoring in the bay and nobody did try to remove them.

Navpaktos is one of my favourite harbour in the area. There are always a couple of yachts anchoring in front of it, but when we arrived we never found anybody inside. Space is bit scarce, and maneuvering inside isn't recommended in windy conditions.

When you enter keep keep in mind, that on your port side there is some silting:
s9m8vYUS0HD_OOiing2orNhB5lbepwbDcuz2Uyk6-9TCaqs8N7CIbnyy0wvP0xAUjmlv0R28gJt_u3ydeWXBdbBSQR37lQHpe8RrcqC5w5DeqgiQqmN4TN2aChJpZB9uE6FSQs3qh-FK_udvcnNhzqR-6xaFVXKOgi6i7JZCuwZh4M-lMpQfsHgWUo_zS-yNEzGIr5jCPX83WUxIrvOrLm1dO9Qn-Ar-pvpTq7-7t0mXy7l96e7D3JOaYBmU_RRtxTve2ooAmOBcH9PsufStAd8zfQQv_HV14FC7Tdk4CYL3hMttv0pDpadwGgrcUZ3aZzGv0bpXtHgnhPXsk73Ixcu6TL8Ubqm2GoJE_fQcxLmba5bmTz05eF-c0GuvM67oM1bLQZLAar-FRMG_opYbjU2iwGDi09HYI0sGzu11PkUrJm8X4hJhGDJDucqxkNxw4zjwb5A3mPRnufjJEJxk5TykFsY_hGojxtzvXTT9wH5COGrTu9cH6Jaz8rVphMR0M-CtKrz9gd7lcoC4SrkgVkBuoiKQ--sADkgyngC3Kr3rXdh8Eim5sCE8aNTs4a9mCYfsJQCLWn2hYq2fBV8HHrCNwsP3I-m1=w588-h441-no

There are basically two spots for passing boats. The quay where we are (on the left) is a bit rough and two meters high, but deep enough. I don't know how deep it is at the cat's spot, but the quay is much lower. I dropped my anchor nearly between both towers so did the cat when they arrived. The third potential spot on our left (you see the mast) is used by locals, lots of buoys and criss crossing lines so I wouldn't try to go there.
jMhi1Wjfo3iDnnKiwHjNtVTYEsf32Hv_n_cwRAe1tyAz5rnY_7wAK5RRY0Kngn9cSXRPsvA6XfY77e9nLYaXzpf2KStNSDcuBIMRrZzBTJxPpnZK_tYo0a0T649e015EBMrRyktFnyAKTmZsIxU0tw8zs8o8dvw8sR5J5rzl9R5a_aNSvvpFbRqECO6sefSdRB2RdAe28wDHIh00fLiOVuZclWXcqic1mOVJd2kSsqOsOPQWdV6R8J6tgIBeKyTI_RHRbMuB1zLwNWMLhxpYX1xpUauLFsG586pKvXevBp-_ITfVv2eaDgiR9jAF4pNsSVaw2FPHfUITYtT1FT7bLDt-CqY3FYzixepxDcaTPzfVGLRuAa8264FikQjqJFTEWgkq8QaKOzMUTCaNsWGu3VBnLn9jfrEiIGpmuiUXKKPP7uyfyhlt0UfRqzSnkYDQCKYxDBRPaXy17hN9IhRqn9p5xbky4si3WLMZxARPBQNv-lXNsoI8EGBjMGJ81S7umeQT39xcM7aOHcSSoghW7IuCUK7RSTdFilxuJeLwvL2CqKTKqBzjTs-dvuCjQVrGCsiCtbwaC3fPULxMYuEHgJfRe9JP5aRO=w1680-h824-no

In the past, there was additional space for visiting yachts in front of the western tower, but is too shallow there. I wanted to help a yacht to moor on this spot, but they went aground.
Go7QTk2IOZ8A1RVwXW3m2ihHayPwehaIaw0Hg6HjgDIE-KjavskGUnQclOXi_q9lrAjNE45b80hbAHaH5I4wspzZDZTY5so_IgW3H20QWAw_K6FgvS5XTVLcY54e41wpfU-koZRn6_s7Cz2QJfGWRr2dvgZAodWyXdMpQrmBmNy5w7LwYbrBhLMskCAlvb1YMPUm73Nm116b_qNMEQ0iW_qCHIdw0wsIu7rRioIUF8-OBpJvhkB4-lhGWHnufHGDnBUYNyj81UK_oMNAE4O5tJWgrt0hc34bO1IJahC80AB6Fr-0D9o3l8n5t8eADTMcOD5CdzYUl6J9949_CwSYAyMCFUsIhaw-q_UaFgSWO2i_RKN6pE-VjRtXtg-lMVRenn_4bfoT0RNjGYQ4jxhegSkybhoFcxa6AMlZaI2OwwkTZSxe83V-ofw-lLKw66K_xB_Y8t0rVq_NmIaHnYOtkHoYav6hht8pXj-NtkfzV-uE0IawUVPZbVs163DFnyMbtkroKP74OveTi6ZQYVptI6w7FtxRrYXlHMkYP_jJMJovK4rTfKlMTtJX3xO92LaC5DGg17MLg8hZejU0BGHhIjIxAC5LpsZn=w1259-h944-no

But all-in a gem of a place, and all provisions can be made in town.
QnqDdppiN4ZhhlTB75bofGX6zLrbxQCl694i_cXDxPRoCmSxTlyaMZ1LwIs36w5kmvdTNo46wPOjt8a4JDQucg0H0GDxOjfM8TZLY1moMg3oZ1tEzzHOnnTSwp5YUp-IUhhbUqGREbE0aShh7uzM_6lha80xH50V2S6Y_AzHdeWicZn3IRHO7E2Lb-HC4qDTsz_AB1yKi4nmGXOyu_IQvFCRGBeqb5-OZWC3KHg7Fz9PLnJAVb0uSC1dlFNmXjTG8KOaokA1rmx-lggFq5rkC1V2m7lX_yvI1FTMv2U7OQ-PidqsWTvNUlNUKjXbSCL7lPZV00PpXma60tOcZiuI2GoXQVnQwbQnGepjvAJeLAqZ7GM8XSKZyU5A7-_o9kEfLm99N7ju9t0q5vnx6JJ0VCAJZWBCqGt2NRXDPdtyAkvjJpBdzeEEuV8mOwxgeDnJliHFA2XnfnR-7SUn0jdL3wskUaPiFsNYpwGZj9n4CPTxCNnmdkXH8wZv6N_56QqSaxjc--BAoidMF5-qA4DFCqpBhVwFqo8b5v-d1r_rPbx5RAtke9_fV_sGAREhKzUzfpi6f9td9rWX6FEf5S8RjiIbEYxPDLiB=w1259-h944-no

oFSnxq2_U-MrWmf5lehRVuH4eby6Ww9--YDDK-kTubpdVt0L58yS3fz2tGnd7yoB_Etttk_vBq0g2hc6KT4s3aRxyJ9liqlsNUuWy0uEyDYyas0YgXOTc-VOoJhG8EUTAuCqzD5oA0vHYIn5XGvOdzMl-9wWyGGWBzus1oW4BKjNrNb3ABNhsuYhLN3Cn07ruHmBUpehFoi44_E86rzP2-_EksSzI_Fg15EqXT0RWKiqJ-0FdiM_qsA0M-Gu8ciAmAevHoZn4bJGe0wEbeJJl5Wq31QQ_DceTFTjIiXHnzIfNT07W7BvQylUv_CDmoSinzUfqpTx-vmHvUN2jpPn2CzOyKWQp49U4Rj4IEYUXEY6jhi9RLGnWv5YdiFgwCn5WgGjprwAcDruQLo_4XqAxrOkVFJxuWKvhEqvngUyddqJXuGDcn_kBFFaNu76txnxRRQN17yz4-y3HWZdXiA-lriomepLZByi06ari6zPspi38rbBbxs4NiRfavIP7z55YgsZ1OuraxARXqqDF9dbZuL9HVkExPXI5VPcCXB_2fCgPZXe93L5SzJdfR4AkX-gFBTR_3t33vn2k-I4jba_hTgMPJpD6Vg8PQ=w849-h945-no

G6GoSzSWaO960UqqLsfdTwz7qDaph7JJ4EHCd2q6LsM0F2PIgudQscjYHrLK9TpQRxKANR-StgnkKtsX04Yv0aEW3d4Xodk15_L5hYNlrr2RpAxObIFVOx-cXSICg3lRA5NVwh7y5XlICdNxTVu7LGiXmaw_riY4-ir0Q6WeRTo1BlBrd9wEtMMGf0pz0wkVjaLBdBBJN7EDk1qu_x8BTilW0aJCGGc4JZaZRgDBR_aWlF7QtgjdwsWr3ZLitRx5ZcYIUowvi6fc2Omz-geWXKOolTNvkdwhlopfhyenqoKXsPHqtckHC1gzjQxPbZ2FukIf2csic12lX3q2thhRbgRWd3FZKd9PE9HzcqIoeXa9k7URdnmnc2cXHAdObS0Ve61Aw2cDsgUYnVVmsUaWCwr9OMdcxqg8MepeNuMuGbCemfX_UT3qqSfccPMgBUkwvD-N_mTup7jnQvYM-lrL7xnAuhhwmHnfnF8FWvYwHyWQV4csBEfNnfHepwzJ7lL1JxtjtZFNGKlaCQqx2ZI-nVvVgoqRju6QIBgtHjG9X7gSxFjvHevIb7fsUiWVXx0QUPxHNKaYU06YeKKTRPJhPmoVgAH5OsvN=w1680-h456-no

JanZ

Visit site
We were in Messolonghi four days ago. The marina is a desolate and sad shadow of its former self. We were turned away by a marine who said that Yanni was watching absolutely everything and if we were to moor both ourselves and the marina would be fined by the PP. Lots of town quay space, and several yachts including ourselves anchored overnight with no difficulty at all. Saw seven(!) turtles in the lagoon! Navpaktos-as above, first quay on port side inside entrance unusable due to buildup of shingle

Last edited:

Capital_R

Visit site
That's a shame.

Anybody know if messolonghi is now for sale?

It was a good spot, and nice facilities when I was last there. Just a bit far from an airport...!

But the new tunnel between there and Anti-Rion would make Patras so much more accessable.

My family lives in Patras, so know that the Old Harbour is now set up for superyachts, with power alongside. Don't overlook that, it's vastly superior to the marina to the north. But a shed nearby fell down in winter.. putting the Town square and precincts on Absoestos alert...

Loxon

Visit site
Can confirm that neither Missolonghi nor Patras marinas are accepting visitors.

Messilongi town quay has space for several yachts, but no facilities other than some nice cafes and restaurants. Plenty of well protected anchoring though.

In Patras the marina advised us to radio Patra Traffic on VHF 13 who directed us to the commercial harbour berth 9. There are some berths with water and electricity, but it's port like and near a main road. Cost apparently 50 euros for berth + 10 for water electricity. (12m ish yacht)

Real pitty, the area is really lacking at the moment.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Can confirm that neither Missolonghi nor Patras marinas are accepting visitors.

Messilongi town quay has space for several yachts, but no facilities other than some nice cafes and restaurants. Plenty of well protected anchoring though.

In Patras the marina advised us to radio Patra Traffic on VHF 13 who directed us to the commercial harbour berth 9. There are some berths with water and electricity, but it's port like and near a main road. Cost apparently 50 euros for berth + 10 for water electricity. (12m ish yacht)

Real pitty, the area is really lacking at the moment.

Messilonghi until jo get his permit there isn't going to be any change and that may be a long time coming , the harbour you need to be very careful with the gypsy , lock everything up .

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I was in there three weeks ago ,They let us unofficially to use the laundry ,the person up stairs stated it would be next year before opening,there was also talk about extending the marina into an area beyond the cafe.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Bob that was most likely Mata , the truth is know one know how long or when the Marina will get their permit , what is it now ? Three years now , it started with next month , then a few month then next year .
I just hope Jo get it sorted and the Marina open up again not only for Jo sake but also for the town , but I think some one needs to remove Yannis before things will go back to normal .

Caladh

Visit site
Bob that was most likely Mata , the truth is know one know how long or when the Marina will get their permit , what is it now ? Three years now , it started with next month , then a few month then next year .
I just hope Jo get it sorted and the Marina open up again not only for Jo sake but also for the town , but I think some one needs to remove Yannis before things will go back to normal .

mmmm….when you say "remove Yannis" what exactly do you mean ? !!

charles_reed

Visit site
mmmm….when you say "remove Yannis" what exactly do you mean ? !!

In fact, Yiannis was prosecuted for his alleged embezzlement and, @ the first hearing, threatened with imprisonment.
He appealed against it and it was reduced to a fine, which I believe he is still fighting.

The Dutch management has perhaps behaved ineptly, under the impression that the rule of law in Greece is similar to the Netherlands.
What one must realise is that obtaining the land and the ability to build the first phase of the marina was very much down to Yianni's family local influence, I can understand Yianni's chagrin at being shovelled out (after all he was just exercising an unofficial "right" enjoyed by owners of Greek private businesses).
This is a battle with no current or future potential winners, down to inter-EU misunderstanding about local custom and law.
The person for whom I feel the most sympathy is Jo Mennen - he'd been in business (civil engineering) with Yianni before bringing him into the marina project. Their last (and successful) project was the Rethymno harbour and marina.

Mata (a very feisty and independent girl) was responsible for blowing the whistle on Yainni, and they've cordially hated each other ever since the beginning. The original plans for the marina projected an extension to the S of current last pontoon. There always has been a local prejudice against the marina.

I was there for the first two winters it was open and have called in most seasons - information from local town sources is usually reliable, people love to gossip. The local PP were pissed off with Yiannis, giving them extra work and aggravation, local businesses equally incensed with his wrecking tactics - when I call round next month I'll probably pick up more info.

I'm afraid that getting the licence appears to more and more resemble the fabulous crock of gold at the foot of the rainbow.
Unless, there's a change in the local political scene....

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
In fact, Yiannis was prosecuted for his alleged embezzlement and, @ the first hearing, threatened with imprisonment.
He appealed against it and it was reduced to a fine, which I believe he is still fighting.

The Dutch management has perhaps behaved ineptly, under the impression that the rule of law in Greece is similar to the Netherlands.
What one must realise is that obtaining the land and the ability to build the first phase of the marina was very much down to Yianni's family local influence, I can understand Yianni's chagrin at being shovelled out (after all he was just exercising an unofficial "right" enjoyed by owners of Greek private businesses).
This is a battle with no current or future potential winners, down to inter-EU misunderstanding about local custom and law.
The person for whom I feel the most sympathy is Jo Mennen - he'd been in business (civil engineering) with Yianni before bringing him into the marina project. Their last (and successful) project was the Rethymno harbour and marina.

Mata (a very feisty and independent girl) was responsible for blowing the whistle on Yainni, and they've cordially hated each other ever since the beginning. The original plans for the marina projected an extension to the S of current last pontoon. There always has been a local prejudice against the marina.

I was there for the first two winters it was open and have called in most seasons - information from local town sources is usually reliable, people love to gossip. The local PP were pissed off with Yiannis, giving them extra work and aggravation, local businesses equally incensed with his wrecking tactics - when I call round next month I'll probably pick up more info.

I'm afraid that getting the licence appears to more and more resemble the fabulous crock of gold at the foot of the rainbow.
Unless, there's a change in the local political scene....

Charles your posting sums it up . And like you I also Sympathy with Jo ,
One of the year we was there was the year Yannis picked Mata still sitting on her chair and throwing her and chair along the office floor ended up with her being taken to hospital, all because she refused to let him have the chair she sit on .
I do hope one day Jo managed to get the Marina up and running again .
I swore I would never return while Yannis is anywhere near the Marina .

RichardS

N/A
Visit site

I had to go to Athens to provide advice to a Greek subsidiary during a protracted commercial legal case. By that stage the case had been running for a couple of years and, although I'm now retired, the last I heard was the case was still ongoing ..... 20 years later!

Anyway, during that visit we lost the hearing at what would be the District Court. When our legal team returned to the office I asked them why we lost when our case looked solid to me. Our lawyer replied that the other side had ensured that the Brother-in-Law of the plaintiff was the Judge.

I thought this was a joke and started laughing but everyone looked at me quizzically. I asked what was the matter and our Greek MD explained that they were being serious ... it really was his Brother-in-Law. I asked whether anyone had pointed out the obvious conflict of interest but it was explained to me that such things were perfectly normal in the Greek system which was why an appeal was always inevitable. :ambivalence:

Richard