missing yacht found capsized off Lochinver

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Famous Russian sailor 'feared dead off coast' after disappearing

This says he went missing in the North Sea from the 21st though - I'm not sure how that tallies with where this boat was found? Entirely possible they don't know their North Atlantic from their North Sea I guess.

Says last heard of in North Sea on the 21st Dec. That wouldn't necessarily be inconsistent with getting to Lochinver by this week, but it is inconsistent with the suggestion that this sunken boat left Ullapool on 13th December (reported in NormanS's post #4).

Nice looking boat in the Mirror's Russian story pics.

dunedin

Visit site
Says last heard of in North Sea on the 21st Dec. That wouldn't necessarily be inconsistent with getting to Lochinver by this week, but it is inconsistent with the suggestion that this sunken boat left Ullapool on 13th December (reported in NormanS's post #4).

Try the BBC News site - Man missing in Loch Inver yacht wreckage is Russian sailor

Seem confident about the boat and having departed Ullapool

Supertramp

Visit site

It's a Colin Archer design although that is no guarantee of how well built it was. A design well suited to heavy weather and coastal sailing, if not marina berthing.

Very sad

Mark-1

Visit site
One interesting factor:

A Russian Naval reservist, and former submariner, trolling around that area unsupervised must raise some eyebrows.....

I initially chuckled but after a small amount of reflection it's not exactly tin foil hat levels of paranoia to think he was cruising an area where submarines are based and exercise with an eye to provide photos and notes of movements up the chain.

Last edited:

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
A sailor is missing, assumed dead, not really a thread for joking about on.

Perhaps keep the speculation to the usual analysis of what could have gone wrong.

The sailor previously lost the rigging in the North Atlantic, shipped a lot of water, almost was lost at sea. He managed to self rescue and sail to Ullapool.

After returning to Russia, he raised funds to fix the boat and go to sea again. He appears to be a tough bloke with resolve. The sea thought otherwise.

No doubt there will be an investigation.