Mike Peyton painting

Pavalijo

Visit site
I’m assuming this is the former YM cartoonist.
It’s a nice piece and I would be bidding if it weren’t in Essex with a £50 shipping charge ?

See HERE

Frogmogman

Visit site
I've bought two paintings from a Reeman Dansie auction in the past (though for rather more than the guide price of this one).

Even if it reaches the top of the auctioneer's estimate at £50, even with @50 shipping, it's hardly an extravagance if you like it.

TBH, much though I love Mike Peyton's cartoons, I find this painting a bit dreary.

Visit site
Take your pick from ...

"Sailing is awful, but at least we're not working."

"Women don't understand sailing"

"What can possibly go wrong"

I think that covers them all.

Ever wonder why we do it ?

There are times when I wish I'd never read Maurice Griffiths.

I'll see you later: I made a promise out there - I'm going to church.

Bloke hanging on the bobstay Fred, wants to know the name of your insurance,

I've noticed it after every boat show - a certain discontent with their lot.

Best thing I ever did was to sell the boat and become a social member.

Have you ever stopped to analyse what we're doing ?

jamie N

Visit site
The boat's a wooden Folkboat I think, and that set me to seriously think about buying it, but for the fact that it's not MY wooden Folkboat.
I'd imagine that most of us have at least one of his books which will always give a wry smile, no matter how many times it's looked at.

Poignard

Visit site
Take your pick from ...

"Sailing is awful, but at least we're not working."

"Women don't understand sailing"

"What can possibly go wrong"

I think that covers them all.
I remember one of Mike Peyton's cartoons showing a small yacht out in foul weather and the Skipper is saying to his crew, who looks as if he is not enjoying himself,
"I can't understand what people see in golf."

Orion Jim

Visit site
The boat's a wooden Folkboat I think, and that set me to seriously think about buying it, but for the fact that it's not MY wooden Folkboat.
I'd imagine that most of us have at least one of his books which will always give a wry smile, no matter how many times it's looked at.
Looks like a Vertue 25 to me....

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I often thought that Mike had been watching my calamitous antics when drawing his cartoons. I'm sure others had the same thoughts.
He was a talented bloke.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You forgot, "Stop calling it a holiday".
Subcategory of "Women don't understand sailing".

Thanks for the other suggestions. Obviously I need to refine my categories. Next iteration: "Sailing is awful but better than the alternatives" and "Skipper has just had, or is about to have, a rude awakening." Plus of course "Women don't understand sailing".

I like the cartoons (except for the sexism) and have a couple of books of them, but they are very much repeats of some basic themes.

Visit site
Subcategory of "Women don't understand sailing".

Thanks for the other suggestions. Obviously I need to refine my categories. Next iteration: "Sailing is awful but better than the alternatives" and "Skipper has just had, or is about to have, a rude awakening." Plus of course "Women don't understand sailing".

I like the cartoons (except for the sexism) and have a couple of books of them, but they are very much repeats of some basic themes.
Enjoyable for both humour and artistry.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I remember one of his cartoons, depicting a boat sailing in ghastly conditions, captioned with something along the lines of "apparently, this is quality time"

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I have acted out several of his cartoon situations. In one, a yacht is entering between pier heads and the crew asks. "do you know what courtesy flag we need yet?"
I was crewing a yacht into Borkum, the ownerhad put up a Dutch flag.
"Are you sure that is the right flag Skipper?"

Frogmogman

Visit site
I have acted out several of his cartoon situations. In one, a yacht is entering between pier heads and the crew asks. "do you know what courtesy flag we need yet?"
I was crewing a yacht into Borkum, the ownerhad put up a Dutch flag.
"Are you sure that is the right flag Skipper?"
I remember that cartoon !! A classic.