Messolonghi Marina

Cheesed Off

Visit site
"A new marina in the heart of Greece"

A few people have asked about this place, so I'll post up truths about the place. I'll never come back and I'll tell anybody who asks not to come here. The so called management are not interested in anything or dealing with complaints.

Showers; we have two between 20+ boats, cleaned once a day around 07.30 before people use them.
Are they clean? Not really.
Is there hot water? Only if the sun is shining as they refuse to leave the heater on, so once a couple of people have had a shower you have to wait an hour or two to get a hot one.

Toilets; again we only have two, and again only cleaned once a day. Need I say more! The toilets are drained into a rainwater soak-away so when it rains they back fill and black water is bubbling out of the tank onto the ground around the shower/toilet block.

Although we knew they would be building on site we were promised they keep it clean. At this time taxis refuse to come onto the premises, bikes are constantly mending punctures as the place is a tip.

Boats are lifted by crane and chocked badly at all angles. His staff are incapable of working on boats - one boat has been cleaned off using an angle grinder - so well they have gone through the gel-coat into the GRP lay-up. Would you bring your boat here?

Add to this when you complain about the lack of hot water you get shouted at by the management for using the facilities.

They wanted a live-aboard community, they have got one this year - but it would appear they just want a marina full of empty boats and nobody here. If they do then they are going the wrong way about it.

Marks out of 10 It doesn't even rate a score!:mad:

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
Thank you for your honest appraisal of this Marina/yard

I have found that cleanliness if not high on these yards agenda. If you want good and very clean marina berths I think you will need to go to Turkey.

cheers bobt

gruntle

brightlingsea, but planning the next trip
Visit site
I quite agree with the comments about the shortcomings of the place, and think that none of the issues requires a great deal of action to put right.:cool: I think the main problem is the management hasn't yet been able to make the transition from being a civil engineering based company to one which is (or should be) customer service oriented. They have to learn that they can't shout at paying customers in the way they do to their employees, and if their customers have legitimate complaints, they really should try to act on them instead of the continual fobbing off that seems to be all they can do.

Now we've got rid of all that nasty beer from the clubhouse things should improve though!:rolleyes:

Messolonghi Marina

www.messolonghimarina.com
Messolonghi Marina comment

Frankly speaking it is not my style to comment in this way, specially not when somebody is writing anonymously, or others that don’t live or even haven’t visited the marina, speak about honesty. But now its time we put things in the right perspective.

At the moment we host about 100 boats in the marina. Over 50 boats are on the hard and about 20 boats are live-aboards. These figures are far more then we had anticipated.
On one hand this is very positive, but on the other hand it also puts great pressure on the organisation, specially because the marina is still under construction.
We try to handle problems as good as we can.

Beginning of December we have set a meeting in the “Marina clubhouse” for all the people that live in the marina, to address all issues. The main problems were the toilets and the showers. At the moment we only have two of both. We agreed on the fact that, when the new toilet building and the main sewage line are finished, these problems will be history.

Concerning the incapable staff. From the beginning we work with a professional crane company. Over 50 boats are lifted and put on our heavy duty cradles. No structural damage has occurred and although we have had some very strong winds, all the boats are save in the water and on the land.

As I can read on the various websites, most live-aboards enjoy there stay in the marina and the friendly atmosphere of Messolonghi and its people.

Yiannes and I are open for all suggestions and remarks, and within our means we will handle them. Our goal is to build a modern and hospitable marina. Together with our clients we can make it happen. We invite everybody to visit the marina or our website to see the works in progress.

Jo Mennen
info@messolonghimarina.com
www.messolonghimarina.com

Appleyard

Visit site
Its nice to know everything is coming up smelling of roses. at Messolongi:eek:

cheers bobt

C'mon the guy has at least had the sense to come on the forum & try to address some of the issues.
I have not been in Mess. since this marina was built but agree that it is well situated for such a facility..goodness knows there is plenty of demand.
I gather that the place is still under construction & as such there will inevitably be some conflict between the contractors,management & clients.
He states that there are far more boats than they expected for this first winter,with 20 liveaboards,this could explain there only being 2 bogs & showers..
. Did anyone go and have a look at the place before wintering there?
If so,what did they find? A fully serviced Marina ,up & running with all the bells & whistles,or a construction site?
Anyone who has spent any time in Greece should know that things move slowly at best,and often never get finished.
The problem with many liveaboards is that they have too much time on their hands . I'm just jealous.
He says "Our goal is to build a modern & hospitable marina" Let them get on with it & see what its like when finished. There is an old saying "Dafties & weans shouldn't see a job half finished"

Last edited:

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
C'mon the guy has at least had the sense to come on the forum & try to address some of the issues.
I have not been in Mess. since this marina was built but agree that it is well situated for such a facility..goodness knows there is plenty of demand.
I gather that the place is still under construction & as such there will inevitably be some conflict between the contractors,management & clients.
He states that there are far more boats than they expected for this first winter,with 20 liveaboards,this could explain there only being 2 bogs & showers..
. Did anyone go and have a look at the place before wintering there?
If so,what did they find? A fully serviced Marina ,up & running with all the bells & whistles,or a construction site?
Anyone who has spent any time in Greece should know that things move slowly at best,and often never get finished.
The problem with many liveaboards is that they have too much time on their hands . I'm just jealous.

He could have said sorry, but we do not have the facilities for twenty this year and turned people away, if he had wanted
I called in the middle of last summer there was not a cat in hell chance that it would be ready
So if I was going to be reasonable, its the people who chose to stay there`s`fault ,There are plenty of good spots to winter in the 1onion, Not a building site.

cheers bobt

ps When you have seen as many half finished marinas in Greece as i have
Women and children should never see a job half done is about right

Last edited:

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
"A new marina in the heart of Greece" . . . . I'll never come back and I'll tell anybody who asks not to come here. The so called management are not interested in anything or dealing with complaints.
. . . . Marks out of 10 It doesn't even rate a score!:mad:

Well, if you don't like it, you can always move on . . .Sling your hook! :p

Appleyard

Visit site
The prices are very reasonable indeed!

Precisely..... now to misquote a chat show hostess some years ago...

"So.... Mr liveaboard,what exactly attracted you to spend the winter in a cheap half-finished building site which will eventually become a marina?"

Sybaris

www.kjellqvist.ch
1bobt chose not to stay here for the winter but still keeps mocking the place.

Regardless of the initial post in this thread the majority of us boats who are actually here for the winter are enjoying it very much. I for one have no complaints.

Cheers,
Per

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
1bobt chose not to stay here for the winter but still keeps mocking the place.

Regardless of the initial post in this thread the majority of us boats who are actually here for the winter are enjoying it very much. I for one have no complaints.

Cheers,
Per

Sorry not mocking the place

Its the people who decided to stay in a building site for the winter who have been complaining ,on this forum,that I am" leg pulling". I never had any intentions of wintering there ,it is on the way to the my villa in Nikiana and I called in see how it was getting on.

I do hope that the owner get the job done as this area needs a very good marina. thankfully this will the one .

cheers bobt

mocruising

Visit site
I can't comment about the showers and toilets but my boat was lifted and is stored there for the winter ata very reasonable price I might add.

The lift was conducted in a very professional manner. The cradle that was provided was very strong and well constructed. I know the management had a few problems back in October and November. However I certainly don't think you can criticize the way boats were lifted and parked and the cradles the best I have seen in the Med. for many years. Try going to Gouvia they tried to chock my 22 tonne boat with a few wooden props last year.

I also feel the prices reflect the state of build of the marina, its still one of the cheapest facilities in the area.

Keep up the good work guys thats what I say. For the wingers who are not even man enough to stand up and be recognised buXXer off and go and pay the full price some where where the facilities have been completed.

Cariadco

Visit site
Chocking???

I can't comment about the showers and toilets but my boat was lifted and is stored there for the winter ata very reasonable price I might add.

The lift was conducted in a very professional manner. The cradle that was provided was very strong and well constructed. I know the management had a few problems back in October and November. However I certainly don't think you can criticize the way boats were lifted and parked and the cradles the best I have seen in the Med. for many years. Try going to Gouvia they tried to chock my 22 tonne boat with a few wooden props last year.

I also feel the prices reflect the state of build of the marina, its still one of the cheapest facilities in the area.

Keep up the good work guys thats what I say. For the wingers who are not even man enough to stand up and be recognised buXXer off and go and pay the full price some where where the facilities have been completed.

I'm suprised you say they tried to Chock you boat with wooden posts in Gouvia. I've always been provided with Steel Propping, without any particular request from me.
This applies to my previous 40 footer and my current boat (24 tonnes).
regards,

BEN FOSTER

Visit site
MESSOLONGHI MARINA no thanks

DON'T TRUST THIS PLACE , JUST PASS BY WITHOUT STOPPING.BAD PEOPLE
AND BAD EXPERIENCES OVER THERE.
I WANT TO CONFIRM CHEESED OFF POST:Boats are lifted by crane and chocked badly at all angles. His staff are incapable of working on boats - one boat has been cleaned off using an angle grinder - so well they have gone through the gel-coat into the GRP lay-up.
I ADD : some nights greek boys get into the marina and throw stones to the yachts.

Marsupial

Visit site
I ADD : some nights greek boys get into the marina and throw stones to the yachts.

Hi Ben, we could do with more detail because we have been here for 3 months and have yet to find any boys of any nationality throwing stones at boats. We have been looking for them.

Another thread on here by A N Other, doubted the integrity of the lazy lines at Messolonghi claiming they were secured with riggers clamps. Like most sane people we were worried by this claim and extensive investigation involving divers has revealed that there are only three lazylines that have been extended the joint made with thimbles and riggers clamps, no knots no splices, and these are to be replaced. But all the lazylines are secured to the riser chain with a bowline and a riggers clamp is used to secure the standing end for additional security. The lazy lines have a thimble secured with a riggers clamp to attatch the thinner shore line, but as this will never be used to take the weight of the boat riggers clamps here is of no consiquence.

So well done Ben and A.N Other you have involved a lot of people in a lot of work only to find that claims are unfounded. So we must conclude that all your other remarks are spurious.

Have a nice day.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Ben Foster . . . CV . . . Joins the forum in August 2010. Writes two posts damning a marina on 3 Aug and 4 Aug. Style of writing and language is not English. It is the style used by some of my English speaking Greek acquaintances when arguing about politics, or about a local competitor.

I know where to file these opinions.