230 volt through inverter batteries

luke collins

Visit site
The battery bank is a bit small to use the inverter to take full benefit of the solar installation. It works OK during the day if there is a decent amount of sunshine and we don't overdo it with cooking, but because of the size of the battery bank it gives the batteries a hard time, sometimes. With them being lead acid they also charge slowly (compared to LifePo4) so don't fully take advantage of the available solar yield.

The batteries are a few years old and likely due for a change soon anyway. It looks like i can build a LifeP04 battery for about the same money as wet lead acid and less than AGMs, so it makes sense to change now (soon).

The boat is also fitted with a 12kva generator, but we don't use it much. We did use it a little before i fitted the inverter, mostly for light use when underway, as we are all electric. Seemed a bit extreme using a big generator to boil the kettle. We have a 1kw kettle, which the inverter copes with comfortable and when underway the alternators will put out more current than the kettle uses.

We do exactly the same with a hotel room kettle. Works fine even at anchor with no engines for a few brews. We run also the air fryer off the 2kw inverter and 300 amp of house batteries. Been fine for one night on the hook

Seastoke

Visit site
..... ask me how I know....
Bruce , we have a sealine the anchor motor has its own battery , unlike them American Windermere boats . When we bought our boat the broker asked do you have a Formula I said yes I won’t buy one.