Mercury Meet - Photo Album

strakeryrius

chasing some sunshine - or a cold beer - or both
Visit site
These are the first tranche of pics that we took as a family - just from my camera. I will have a hunt thru the others to see if there are any worth posting. Oddly, I don't seem to have taken any at the party itself - my memory is a little cloudy but I do remember lots of flashes going off.

Please feel free to add your own pics to this thread.

We couldn't have asked for better weather in May. Saturday strated off bright and breezy, and very warm. We headed out from Poole through the 10:30 bridge lift, and pretty soon we had Old Harry in our wake.

HPIM1070.jpg

It wasn't too long afterwards that the Needles came up. Followed by Yarmouth and hey presto we're in the Solent.

HPIM1083.jpg

HPIM1090.jpg

HPIM1091.jpg

The Western Solent was pretty quiet, but once we got down towards Calshot it got too busy to be able to worry about taking any more pics, as was the Hamble itself. Just got one shot worth sharing of some of the swarms of Optimists out on the river.

HPIM1095.jpg

The afternoon and evening are a bit of a blur - just remember waking up in the cockpit in the wee small hours having missed Elessar's crew from Evenstar 3 attempting to recreate the famous "Passage of the Argonath" scene from LOTR1 - without the aid of canoes! (Oi'm cummin wiv you Mr Frodo)

It was a fabulous, but freezing cold night, and I woke again in time to see Galadriel depart early. There were lots of forumites left though. Spot the Forumites boats - clustered on C and D pontoons.

HPIM1102.jpg

We headed off to the Water's Edge for breakfast and unfortunately managed to miss waving off KevB, D3B, and many others while engaged in our FEB's.

Leaving at 12 the weather didn't look too promising, but we decided to head for Totland Bay for a late lunch. We were pretty much the only ones there all afternoon; and lo and behold the sun came back out with a vengeance after a very short while, and we had a scorcher of an afternoon. Break out the Ambre Solaire!

HPIM1106.jpg

HPIM1109.jpg

By 17:00 it was time to go - Hurst Narrows was empty and flat calm.

HPIM1113.jpg

Opened up the throttles and we were off with the sea to ourselves. Knew it was all too good to last though. We'd just cleared all the lobbies off Christchurch ledge when BANG - 28 Knots to not-very-fast-at-all in no time flat. We'd picked up a 6' long bit of nylon warp around the starboard props.

HPIM1129.jpg

We managed to get it cut off and freed up the props again, but when I restarted and engaged the drive all we got was thick acrid smoke. B*gg*r!!!!

We limped home across Bournemouth Bay on the port engine and just managed to catch the 19:30 bridge. She's being lifted out Wednesday to assess the damage - I fear that its going to be expensive.

Still despite all of this, and consequently not getting home til past midnight the entire family agreed that this has been the most enjoyable weekend we have had out on the water for a very long time. I hope that everyone else had at least half as much fun as we had - you'll have had a whale of a time.

BrendanS

Visit site
I didn't know you'd had a problem on the way home. Hope it's not as expensive as you fear.

Mrs YS was great, though I'd not like to get into a serious arguement with her. She is a ferocious debater! Tell her the way I looked on Sun morning was largely due to her heavy hand with the wine bottles!

The weather gods were incredibly kind to those that came and departed by boat.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
We didn't take any at the party either but we left with Galadriel and took a few of him:-
galadriel 047a.jpg

galadriel 048a.jpg

And Jim took a couple of us:-

P1020479.jpg

P1020481.jpg

Shortly after that we split tacks and the next time we saw them we crossed ahead of them somewhere over the Ryde Middle! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I've been getting all sorts of excuses from Galadriel about dirty bottoms and East Coast helmsmen but, to be fair, we were playing with our new mainsail, making the most of the tide and generally trying very hard to beat him! It seems to have worked! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BrendanS

Visit site
Now now, this was a non competitive event, even though two raggies within viewing distance will always race!

Be gracious, and acknowledge that he and crew were probably hung over! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Gracious, what's that? I took the novice off the helm and sent her below to make the tea while we were heeled at 25 degrees!

BrendanS

Visit site
Cold?

I camped out. Last time I used that tent and sleeping bag it was -20 ish. It was flipping boiling hot! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
It was cold. Somewhere off the Bramble beacon SWMBO swapped the beany hat for the polar explorer version and donned full oilies. Even I (a hardy northener) was to be seen in fleece and oily trousers; it piped up a bit from due East on the way back!

chilly.jpg

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
One of those days, as soon as we got into Portsmouth we were all stripping off again and getting odd looks from people motoring down the harbour in shorts and T-shirts. Maybe it's just us! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BrendanS

Visit site
the only possible explanation is that Mrs SY is a full blown member of the Leeds Night Club scene, and passed the genes onto the kids, or it was a lot warmer in the west of the Solent?

[2068]

Visit site
It went hot/cold all morning.

Finally I twigged that each time I took my jacket off, the clouds went in front of the sun, so I kept the jacket on from 14:00 onwards, and the rest of the crew were able to sunbathe. The wind dropped late afternoon for a very smooth 22kt return trip.

dv.

BrendanS

Visit site
She told me about her youth in Africa, and she's lived in more places there than most can claim.

Fascinating lady, very confident, and lovely as well. Well done to you for getting hold of her and keeping her!
Don't let her see this! She'd probably kill me! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif