Mercury 4hp

G

I have just purchased a used mercury 4hp out board engine, the seller told me it was only 3 years old. Can any one tell me how I can date the engine. I am unable to find a model number just the serial number.
I need to replace the rubber seal that sits around the cowling (sealing the engine from the elements) also the ruber petrol pipe that runs from the tank to the "on/off" switch needs changing as it's perished. anyone know where I can buy these parts.

jfm

Visit site
Enter the serial # in www.mercurymarine.com and their online service will give you the date. if that doesn't work tell me the serial # and I'll give you the year. You don't need the model # (which will be 4ML for longshaft and 4M for short)

Parts available from any Merc dealer. Original parts are pretty expensive, sometimes shockingly so, but for moulded rubber parts like the cowl seal I'm not aware of any place you can go except a merc dealer. The fuel hose could be replaced with a part from Halfords althought the merc original part for that should be cheap

JFM