Mending Hurrtcane lamp

andrewbartlett

Visit site
I have a number of hurricane lamps and would normally discard them if they develop a problem,I have one huwever which is leaking from the bottom but otherwise is perfect. I happen to like it and would like to repair it . Any tape or epoxy with which I could effect a repair? I would like to seal the whole bottom ring as I do not know precisely where the oil is seeping through. Any ideas would be appreciated!

doug748

Visit site
Is it brass or steel?

Don't know why I am asking really, except I once used prv's soldering method on a brand new Chinese lamp that leaked from the bottom. That one was brass. I half expected it to fall into fifteen pieces but it went ok.

Your problem will be getting the joint clean, tho you may be able to build up a small fillet on the seam - the exposed part that will be fairly easy to get clean.

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
I just used some leftover SP epoxy after finishing another job. Of course you do need to degrease the surface properly but that's easily done with a few wipes and acetone. Painted everything over and hasn't leaked for two years now.

andrewbartlett

Visit site
Is it brass or steel?

Don't know why I am asking really, except I once used prv's soldering method on a brand new Chinese lamp that leaked from the bottom. That one was brass. I half expected it to fall into fifteen pieces but it went ok.

Your problem will be getting the joint clean, tho you may be able to build up a small fillet on the seam - the exposed part that will be fairly easy to get clean.
The lamp is steel I think.
Good idea Swanrad2 about the possadility of using the substance used to seal motorbike fuel tanks I'll try to find out what that is.
Thankyou to all contributers I'll try all p[ossabilities until one works!

VicS

Visit site

VicS

Visit site
BTW if you have one with a small tank that does not last the whole night unless turned down so low that it blows out in more than a force 1 George Taylor (IIRC) showed us in PBO about 35 or so years ago how to solder on a baked bean can or similar to make a larger tank.