Medical insurance

Sea_Lark

Visit site
Three weeks sailing holiday starts Saturday, from Fosdyke, and the tentative plan is to make for the Friesian Islands. However, when we will be there, or even if we get there at all, will depend upon the weather. We certainly won't fight easterly winds or forecast gales to go. Our only previous crossing to the Netherlands was on a whim. To us this is part of the essence of sailing.... no fixed plans, just go where the whim and weather dictate.

Before starting to sail, we regularly went on camping holidays on the continent. This meant we at least pre-booked ferries, so knew exactly when we would be abroad, if not precisely where, and so we always arranged travel insurance in advance. My question is, what do yachties do, with no set schedule? Do you take out medical insurance to cover all the period you 'might' be abroad, or not bother at all. Is the free medical cover available to us in the Netherlands sufficient anyway? Not that we are planning to need it! We are both fit and healthy. But unforessen accidents can sometimes lead to hefty bills.

So... advice please....

Bav34

Visit site
Have never taken out specific medical insurance, (unlike our ski hols) .... just relied on the E111 that has been renamed HERE

Never needed to use it. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Sea_Lark

Visit site
Yes, we have the EHIC, thanks. Also looked up the website stated on the EHIC but the detail of cover for the Netherlands seems a little lacking.

FullCircle

Visit site
I used a hospital in Amsterdam about 15 years ago, with the old E111 form, and I had no difficulties, and all seemed to be aware of the reciprocal health agreements.

I have the new Credit Card style of E111, but haven't had recourse to use it, thankfully.

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
Hi
We carry the EU card plus we also have private travel insurance.
Just in case it's of interest, we are heading to Lowestoft on Saturday on Mermaid and then over to Den Helder on Sunday. We'll probably stay there a couple of days.
From there, we'll tour round the Ijsselmeer and Frisians as the mood takes us over the following three weeks as long as we are back to base before work beckons on 28th July.
Keep an eye out for us (see avatar picture).
If you post a picture of yourselves, or a link to one, we will keep a look out for you.
Cheers
Duncan

Sea_Lark

Visit site
Hi Duncan,

Will indeed look out for you. I've put a boat photo as my avatar now, including first mate, but you'll be hard-pressed to recognise us from that. Anyway, Seadog30 ketch named Sea Lark. Our current idea, subject to possible massive change, is to sail to Blakeney on Saturday, then leave for Den Helder on Sunday, probably arriving late Monday. Thereafter cruise in the Waddenzee and Ijselmeer for a couple of weeks, to be back in Fosdyke 26th July. So, we will look out for from Den Helder onwards.

Keith

Wunja

Visit site
I think it depends on what you have wrong with you! I'm sure the E111 would cover you for something major, but when friends stayed with us and needed to use the local GP, they were charged for the visit. It costs the practice more to reclaim the money from the government than its worth.
Cost for the visit was about 30 euros which they were able to reclaim on their insurance.

On the original question we have an annual holiday insurance rather than coverage for one two week period. You only need two or three trips to break even.

Sea_Lark

Visit site
Hi Duncan,

Our intention was to make for that same marina. Not from any knowledge, but purely for convenience. Good to hear Flipper's recommendation, though. Any idea which are the visitors pontoons/moorings and what type, e.g. bow-to? We don't have Ch.31 on our VHF so won't be able to call in.

By the look of some of the forecasts we might well end up delaying departure until Monday so will probably miss you at Den Helder, but will look out for you there and after.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Any idea which are the visitors pontoons/moorings and what type, e.g. bow-to? We don't have Ch.31 on our VHF so won't be able to call in.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were one of a 5 boat rally. 2 went on pontoon with 1 outboard on each and we were put in a 'box'. From memory if you go in and go straight ahead at the far end of the marina is the fuel pontoon next to the office so you could tie up and ask for instructions. Sorry I cannot remember which VHF channel we used but we had pre booked the berths.

If you use Den Over lock to get out of inland waterway watch out for the road bridge closing with no warning. We were about 20 of 24 (or so) boats leavign the lock and just as we were approachign the bridge it started to swing shut! Was in a friends 35' 10 ton boat which taakes a lot of stopping when at 6 knots! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
Thanks for the input Flipper. Some guys from our marina have just come back and reported much the same.
Keith, if you can't get them on the VHF, you can always phone. We have done that before in Holland.
As for moorings, I don't know but Google Earth seems to show bows to with posts for the stern and this appears to be borne out by the photos on the web site for the club.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
seems to show bows to with posts for the stern and this appears to be borne out by the photos on the web site for the club.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, this is what I was refering to as 'box' - you get it a lot in Holland. Quite a lot of fun with a long keel limited directional certainty astern!

Sea_Lark

Visit site
Many thanks for the info. It's good to be forewarned. Our boat has a long keel, so gonig astern is always a lottery. Combined with zero experience of box moorings it should be 'fun'. Hope we don't provide too much entertainment for the bystanders who miraculously gather wherever a cock-up is imminent....

Wunja

Visit site
In some places the visitors moorings (passant ligplaats) don't have boxes and you raft up in the traditional way. It may not be a problem for you, but on a small boat in a big box, it is worth getting the crew to take the stern lines forward to drop over the posts as you go past rather than trying to reach over the stern to put them on.

During my DS we put a 41' yacht into a lot of the boxes in Den Helder and it fitted quite a few of them!

Remember to talk to the nice man on Den Helder Traffic Control when entering and leaving. There may be naval manoeuvres going on in which case civil traffic is halted.

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
Hi
Quick update - left Foxs at 18:30 BST yesterday and arrived in Den Helder 18:00 BST today.

Pretty uneventful trip, no more that 22kts apparent so sails were used in earnest.
Looks like the early start to beat the windier stuff was worth it.

Quick showers all round and then into the yacht club for Nasi Goreng and satay chicken washed down with draft Heineken. Perfect.

D