Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Hurricane

Visit site
Not sure about car batteries but my DJI drones have intelegant batteries that will discharge themselves to (I believe) 60% if not used for about a month. I understand that lead acid batteries like to be stored at 100% whereas Lithiums prefer to be stored at 60%.
Probably not applicable for cars but for boats, the batteries could be left for months so maybe a more intelligent battery charger is more appropriate in our case.
I had another look at Lithiums and decided that I will stick to lead acid again - this time.

kashurst

Visit site
Reading up on the LFP battery versus the NMC battery type, I would be happy with either. There are pros and cons with each. If anything I would go for the NMC that they have been using in the long range for a while and I suspect that is what you have, But I understand your concern re charging. From what I have read on tinternet it seems the NMC equipped cars want to charge to 80% and you have to select a higher charge if you want it. I would call someone at Tesla UK and see what they can tell you from the VIN number before rejecting the car. Is there anyway to tell from the cars computer listed specifications?

Bouba

Visit site
Reading up on the LFP battery versus the NMC battery type, I would be happy with either. There are pros and cons with each. If anything I would go for the NMC that they have been using in the long range for a while and I suspect that is what you have, But I understand your concern re charging. From what I have read on tinternet it seems the NMC equipped cars want to charge to 80% and you have to select a higher charge if you want it. I would call someone at Tesla UK and see what they can tell you from the VIN number before rejecting the car. Is there anyway to tell from the cars computer listed specifications?
Well it’s of course more complicated, originally I should have had a NMCA which is far superior to the NMC. When I complained they said don’t worry it’s actually the LFP ! (Yes it gets confusing) when I told Tesla about the VIN decoder (you only get the vin a week before delivery) I was told that it’s not an official Tesla decoder so it’s not true. And to be fair to them, there is some disagreement online as to whether or not it’s accurate.
I have searched everywhere that the internet says to look for battery labels using an endoscope. Nothing. The owners manual (which is on the car’s computer) doesn’t say. It is Tesla’s policy not to give information on which battery you have. The only clue is that if I had the LFP then the graphics on the charging screen would be different, and it’s not.
My wife has given up the will to fight, and doesn’t want to return the car.
One other vital point, when they told us that an earlier delivery was available, it turned out to be €3000 cheaper. At the time we didn’t know why!

kashurst

Visit site
anyway back on thread. Great boaty day today. The sea is still @ 28 degs. In the lee of a local island lunch time, very calm. Until the tw@t on a jet ski turned up.
After a week of heavy winds the sea was surpringly clear.
Another rubbish pic:
5N0zHdk.jpg

kashurst

Visit site
Still liking the Axopar? Where in Mallorca is that? We had a grey axopar anchored behind us today - looked very cool.

Last edited:

julians

Visit site
Still liking the Axopar? Where in Mallorca is that? We had a grey axopar anchored behind us today - looked very cool.
Yep, it's good.

The photo was taken just off Puerto andratx, the island of dragonera is on the left of the photo, and the coastline of majorca on the right.

vas

Visit site
lol, I'm here on this bay now for over a week. Really relaxing and apart from the odd wake of a sailing yacht or a small fishing boat been v.flat.
May have to turn them on on the return trip tomorrow as I may have an F3 on the stbrd beam. Was just as flat on the way here (turned them on for 2mins when crossing the wake of a mobo).
They did pay off (OK the little that they cost and much more) going places over the last two seasons especially moving between islands where during the day you typically get a F4 to F5 on the beam.

V.

Bouba

Visit site
Can I just update you very quickly to anybody who was following my Tesla problem (and sorry for hijacking the thread, but this is to put it to bed)
Just got word from Tesla that confirmed which battery my car has. So I want to thank everyone for their help and concern (I won’t need to contact your son, LJS but will keep him in mind for future problems !).
So my hunt for technical information has finished, now it’s just a matter if I continue to pursue the matter with Tesla as a consumer issue (not getting what I was promised, although as it’s completely verbal I am not sure where I stand).
Anyhow, thanks all again and back to your wonderful pictures of autumn in the Med?

Portofino

Visit site
Can I just update you very quickly to anybody who was following my Tesla problem (and sorry for hijacking the thread, but this is to put it to bed)
Just got word from Tesla that confirmed which battery my car has. So I want to thank everyone for their help and concern (I won’t need to contact your son, LJS but will keep him in mind for future problems !).
So my hunt for technical information has finished, now it’s just a matter if I continue to pursue the matter with Tesla as a consumer issue (not getting what I was promised, although as it’s completely verbal I am not sure where I stand).
Anyhow, thanks all again and back to your wonderful pictures of autumn in the Med?
Besenzoni now Tesla .:):):).
I see a pattern .

Hooligan

Visit site
lol, I'm here on this bay now for over a week. Really relaxing and apart from the odd wake of a sailing yacht or a small fishing boat been v.flat.
May have to turn them on on the return trip tomorrow as I may have an F3 on the stbrd beam. Was just as flat on the way here (turned them on for 2mins when crossing the wake of a mobo).
They did pay off (OK the little that they cost and much more) going places over the last two seasons especially moving between islands where during the day you typically get a F4 to F5 on the beam.

V.
Where are you? Am down to Lefkada and the S Ionians on Wed

vas

Visit site
Where are you? Am down to Lefkada and the S Ionians on Wed
not that near I'm afraid, I'm on the other side of the mainland on mouth of Pagasitikos bay (just) south of Volos 20nm from Skiathos island.
when you finish with Ionian, it's a nice area to explore so keep it in mind and let me know if you're around :) [obvs applies to anyone coming to "my" area!]

V.

Bouba

Visit site
Been a long day today. Had to get a new phone as the Tesla app won’t work on my antiquated model. Tomorrow might take a drive to St Trop. Whilst waiting for my new and old phones to exchange data I went an bought a euro millions lottery, €135 million on Tuesday. If I win you can read all about my exploits on the superyacht forum??

Hooligan

Visit site
not that near I'm afraid, I'm on the other side of the mainland on mouth of Pagasitikos bay (just) south of Volos 20nm from Skiathos island.
when you finish with Ionian, it's a nice area to explore so keep it in mind and let me know if you're around :) [obvs applies to anyone coming to "my" area!]

V.
Thanks. Bit of a pain with the Corinth canal closed. Up in Corfu now, lovely with not so many boats or people around