Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Bouba

Visit site
The salad is Mrs B, the sausage and chips is yours. We are not all daft. How you getting with the Tesla?
We both had salad and the dog loves sausages !
The car is great but I have this dilemma, the Tesla people all say it has LFP batteries but what little I can gather, makes me think it has NMC. These batteries have totally different charging regimes, in fact if you use one of the regimes on the wrong battery it will kill it. It’s very much like buying a car and not being told if it’s petrol or diesel and then you go to the service station and have a mental breakdown (and by inflection give the misses a breakdown).
I think, under French law, I can return it next week for a no quibble money back (although I doubt it’s no quibble). So all in all, something that should have been an enjoyable buying experience has been turned into abject misery !

Bouba

Visit site
what is making you think it has NMC batteries if tesla say otherwise?
For a start;
There is no mention of the Long Range having LFP on the entire internet (and the internet is very interested in Tesla).
From all I’ve read, you need more LFP batteries because they are less energy dense. So the car should be considerably heavier (by a couple of hundred kilos at least) but according to the log book it weighs the same.
Engineering wise I don’t think that there is room in the Long Range for more batteries. They have LFP in the Standard Range because it’s the same size car as a Long Range but with less battery.
If you look up LFP in the in car electronic owners manual it gives you a clue. It says the graphics on the charging screen is different. But my charging screen is the same.
Against all that I have the word of the Tesla staff who I think are just parroting what they’ve been told

Bouba

Visit site
Does it matter what the batteries are........just plug it in.
It matters hugely. They recommend that LFP batteries are regularly charged to 100%. But you will kill a NMC battery if you did this.
As I said earlier it’s akin to putting diesel in a petrol car, you can just about get away with it but if you put petrol in a diesel car it’s bad

Bouba

Visit site
Does it matter what the batteries are........just plug it in.
I think that the confusion is that a Tesla doesn’t have an automatic battery charger that ‘takes what it needs’. The driver sets the charge according to their own needs. So there is a potential to seriously hurt the battery

vas

Visit site
not at all familiar with Teslas, way too expensive for my taste, but isn't there a Tesla site/owners club/whatnot where you just type in the car serial # and comes up with lots of info about everything on it? Isn't it meant to be tethered to your mobile or whatever to download s/w updates?
Seems v.odd to me not to know what the batteries are, and tbh I don't expect it matters that much in day to day use. The theory has it that charging regimes are well taken care off by the inbuilt s/w
BTW, what model/type did you buy?

Chris H

Visit site
It matters hugely. They recommend that LFP batteries are regularly charged to 100%. But you will kill a NMC battery if you did this.
As I said earlier it’s akin to putting diesel in a petrol car, you can just about get away with it but if you put petrol in a diesel car it’s bad
It can’t matter hugely or everyone would know about it, I have an electric car and also install commercial EV chargers, maybe if you charge as you say you may get 11 years from the battery instead of 10 !

Bouba

Visit site
not at all familiar with Teslas, way too expensive for my taste, but isn't there a Tesla site/owners club/whatnot where you just type in the car serial # and comes up with lots of info about everything on it? Isn't it meant to be tethered to your mobile or whatever to download s/w updates?
Seems v.odd to me not to know what the batteries are, and tbh I don't expect it matters that much in day to day use. The theory has it that charging regimes are well taken care off by the inbuilt s/w
BTW, what model/type did you buy?
It’s a Model 3 Long Range. You would think that all the information is easily available but it’s not. In fact all you have is the word of the local Tesla staff, and they will give you nothing in writing. The Internet has nothing, I’ve tried the forums, I’ve even tried it in French. But I continue to search....anyone who wants to help is most welcome ?

Bouba

Visit site
It can’t matter hugely or everyone would know about it, I have an electric car and also install commercial EV chargers, maybe if you charge as you say you may get 11 years from the battery instead of 10 !
No, these cars have only just arrived from China. I might be the only one in the world who has questioned what the local Tesla staff have said (probably the only one in the world to have even asked them....).
The battery can potentially degrade fast....

longjohnsilver

Visit site
It’s a Model 3 Long Range. You would think that all the information is easily available but it’s not. In fact all you have is the word of the local Tesla staff, and they will give you nothing in writing. The Internet has nothing, I’ve tried the forums, I’ve even tried it in French. But I continue to search....anyone who wants to help is most welcome ?
Send a pm to my son, he might know. And don’t believe a word anyone from Tesla, from Elon Musk down, tells you.