Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Cheery

Visit site
A friend from Tenerife sent me this link. I assume that the Balearics will be pushing for something similar, especially as their season is only a few months, unlike all year round in the Canaries.

Bouba

Visit site
This is from the beaches at Leoube and l’Estagnol, taken this morning

Where’s the boat! I hear you all cry.
There is none! It’s my morning dog walk ???

• Love
Reactions: MrB

jrudge

Visit site
A friend from Tenerife sent me this link. I assume that the Balearics will be pushing for something similar, especially as their season is only a few months, unlike all year round in the Canaries.
They are all good at making noises - Mallorca have a 100 out of 10 score for optimism and 0 out of 10 for any possible influence on Spanish policy.

The tourism market is clearly a big deal for Spain, but they were saying the islands would be vaccinated before Madrid to save tourism the other day. Madrid have not laughed so loud since before lockdown.

Also the various ministers all contradict themselves - usually on the same day which is pretty impressive.

My own view is that if the Uk is let out by Boris and we are pretty fully vaccinated ( doing much better than they are) then it will prove irresistible to Spain / EU not to let us in.

It will cost us I suspect - bear in mind as at today ( ignore they wont let you in) you need...

- a test to goto spain
- a test to come back to UK
- a £210 a head day 2 and 8 testing package for mutant variants - they wont be dropping that any time soon
- a test at day 5 to release

That will cost you a mimimim of £500 a head .... which in turn will kill tourism! The only one in the control of Spain is a Covid test to get in - and I cant see them waiving that.

They might if the research shows that the vaccinated cant spread it - but personally I would be surprised until they have fully vaccinated their own people.

Likewise the Uk wont weave the 2 and 8 day test as this is there to locate variants which are now our main risk.

Will the Uk waive quarantine? Maybe if the other country is as vaccinated as we are - but there are not many of those!

All speculation - lets see.

BruceK

Visit site
Even that seems steep. The wife works on the frontline and does a self test every 3 days. When I say she has a bag full of test kits it's not like they are handing them out like cotton candy but they certainly not shy if £500 a pop is their true value

Hooligan

Visit site
They are all good at making noises - Mallorca have a 100 out of 10 score for optimism and 0 out of 10 for any possible influence on Spanish policy.

The tourism market is clearly a big deal for Spain, but they were saying the islands would be vaccinated before Madrid to save tourism the other day. Madrid have not laughed so loud since before lockdown.

Also the various ministers all contradict themselves - usually on the same day which is pretty impressive.

My own view is that if the Uk is let out by Boris and we are pretty fully vaccinated ( doing much better than they are) then it will prove irresistible to Spain / EU not to let us in.

It will cost us I suspect - bear in mind as at today ( ignore they wont let you in) you need...

- a test to goto spain
- a test to come back to UK
- a £210 a head day 2 and 8 testing package for mutant variants - they wont be dropping that any time soon
- a test at day 5 to release

That will cost you a mimimim of £500 a head .... which in turn will kill tourism! The only one in the control of Spain is a Covid test to get in - and I cant see them waiving that.

They might if the research shows that the vaccinated cant spread it - but personally I would be surprised until they have fully vaccinated their own people.

Likewise the Uk wont weave the 2 and 8 day test as this is there to locate variants which are now our main risk.

Will the Uk waive quarantine? Maybe if the other country is as vaccinated as we are - but there are not many of those!

All speculation - lets see.
No chance the UK waives isolation on return, at least in my view. That means 10 days (or less if take test). Question is the risk of being on a red list country ie say Spain gets added. This will stop some people from going as it did last year. I suspect many med boaters might well be in a position to continue to work from home upon return from Spain etc at least for the 10 days. that’s what i think it boils down to but as you say, all speculation.

Bouba

Visit site
Some more from this morning’s dog walk

You are used to boaty pictures of exotic places from me. But I want to be a bit more inspirational, if you can’t get to your boat or to far off destinations, always remember, the ordinary can be extraordinary if it’s in your backyard ?

Reactions: MrB

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Even that seems steep. The wife works on the frontline and does a self test every 3 days. When I say she has a bag full of test kits it's not like they are handing them out like cotton candy but they certainly not shy if £500 a pop is their true value
I believe it is proposed that all school children and their families do a self test twice a week. That’s a lot of testing kits, and I bet they aren’t costing anywhere near £100 each, let alone £500

RJJ

Visit site
I believe it is proposed that all school children and their families do a self test twice a week. That’s a lot of testing kits, and I bet they aren’t costing anywhere near £100 each, let alone £500
Lateral flow tests vs pcr. Cheaper and quicker, with a slightly different set of statistical / diagnostic challenges

longjohnsilver

Visit site
The ban on U.K. residents entering Spain has been extended again until March 16. Will be interesting to see what happens as we approach May17 when we will, hopefully, be allowed to leave England. Again, hopefully, somewhere will be happy to receive us.