Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

mcanderson

Visit site
Whilst we are currently in France and had hoped to be on our boat this weekend (blown hydraulic manifold has stopped that) we are amazed by the inability of the U.K. government to do detailed analysis of data given by foreign governments. Once again the need to be seen to be doing something after a spike in ‘media’ inaccurate reports has led to a flawed decision.

what ever happened to vaccines will lead us out of this.

Bouba

Visit site
Whilst we are currently in France and had hoped to be on our boat this weekend (blown hydraulic manifold has stopped that) we are amazed by the inability of the U.K. government to do detailed analysis of data given by foreign governments. Once again the need to be seen to be doing something after a spike in ‘media’ inaccurate reports has led to a flawed decision.

what ever happened to vaccines will lead us out of this.
Vaccines aren’t so good against Beta, hence the apprehension

Portofino

Visit site
No they're both French passport holders but it's often been in UK plated car. The border by the sea (the SS1 or Aurelia) is manned a lot but the autostrada hardly ever. I have been over myself quite a lot in the last 6 months or so and not been stopped once either, in my Jersey reg car.

Edit - saw this going out of and back into Loano last weekend, presume it was you?

View attachment 119018
It was , you ought to have popped round .(y)

Portofino

Visit site
According to the WHO 50% is considered to be effective

Vaccine efficacy, effectiveness and protection
Nope it’s for approval that 50 number that’s all .

If that was the case your quoted 50 from this link a yardstick then the 77 % efficacy of the current vax for Alpha ( which just happens to also hit a high efficacy for Delta ) , why is it causing ring twitching in U.K. gov ? then what all the fuss about , why worry ?

Uk Gov and Porton Down know what they are doing .
As the graphic Mike linked and I further explained even with Fr colonial data added in or striped out it’s mysteriously nearly a month old .

Napping on the sun pads @ anchor I reflected on the colonial French data alleged corrupt.
Seeing as Beta is already up to near 100 % in those two colonies see the constant orange bands below and dates .
1314198B-BC74-489D-A106-9E0A9A740754.jpeg
Now as I said earlier look at the date and size of the orange delta in the last column.

So if the islands have maxed ………then the increase must be mainland France .Yes , or the population of the islands has suddenly increased , Nope .
As I said we need up to date figures .

Why do you think there is no truth in the possible rise of Beta given this graph and the French attitude to authoritarianism , and the French link to W Africa, bit like uk s link to India ?

Hurricane

Visit site
So, following on from the title of this thread:-
Med boaters - will you get out to your boat this year?

Yes, I did get out to the boat.
But like last year, so far, it has been a "nothing year".

But, as they say, "Every Cloud has a Silver Lining"
So Covid has turned out to be a good time to do some upgrading.
During the winter lock down, I made some new synthetic teak panels and fitted them during the later part of June
Its a tricky making panels 1000 miles away from the boat and hoping that they will fit - no poping back this year to check the dimensions.

So, here are a few pics of the progress this year.

The old teak was in a real mess.

20210614_204947.resized.jpg

20210614_205127.resized.jpg

But after a lot of hard work - SWMBO was fantastic - most of the work was done by just the two of us.

Photo_6553874_DJI_274_jpg_4234748_0_2021799052_photo_original.resized.jpg

Photo_6553893_DJI_293_jpg_4086825_0_2021799738_photo_original.resized.jpg

Photo_6553866_DJI_266_jpg_5026848_0_20217985840_photo_original.resized.jpg

20210712_082244.resized.jpg

20210712_082139.resized.jpg

20210712_081946.resized.jpg

I really pleased with the result.
Unlike the old worn wood teak, the finish of the new synthetic is smooth under foot and most importantly IT IS CLEAN.

Now that the Flybridge is done, we are looking forward and hoping to doing some actual boating later in the season.
I HOPE!!!

MrB

Visit site
So, following on from the title of this thread:-
Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Yes, I did get out to the boat.
But like last year, so far, it has been a "nothing year".

But, as they say, "Every Cloud has a Silver Lining"
So Covid has turned out to be a good time to do some upgrading.
During the winter lock down, I made some new synthetic teak panels and fitted them during the later part of June
Its a tricky making panels 1000 miles away from the boat and hoping that they will fit - no poping back this year to check the dimensions.

So, here are a few pics of the progress this year.

The old teak was in a real mess.

View attachment 119042

View attachment 119043

But after a lot of hard work - SWMBO was fantastic - most of the work was done by just the two of us.

View attachment 119044

View attachment 119045

View attachment 119046

View attachment 119047

View attachment 119048

View attachment 119049

I really pleased with the result.
Unlike the old worn wood teak, the finish of the new synthetic is smooth under foot and most importantly IT IS CLEAN.

Now that the Flybridge is done, we are looking forward and hoping to doing some actual boating later in the season.
I HOPE!!!
That looks fantastic, nice job! (y) :cool:

Portofino

Visit site
Nice work Mr + Mrs Hurricane ? .
We have been on our boat since 18 th June with “ off “ a week in Switzerland grass cutting .
Got business interests in the U.K. to attend to hence the waking up every morning and “ now what changed today “ because we plan to return for August for a month .
Still on the boat and job wise , trying to get a new Bimini organised by the local marine upholstery shop on the Marina , must be in there 80 s !
The stuff the yard did the stern gear with has worked a treat no fouling at all thus far and I,am achieving record by my AF standards performance figures 1750 rpm achieves 28 knots @ 75 /77 % load depending on fluids carried .
Exhausts I had fabricated over the winter have bedded in , a week or so of smelly gasket / heat / sealant / newness , buts that’s just about gone .

Returning to travel we recently ( normally with dog Chunnel it back to the U.K. ) but a few days ago with this French Beta malarkey which is yet to pan out I think.
We booked a Stena ferry 7 hrs trip from Holand to Harwich .This mean we can avoid France ?? entering the U.K. Like most on here we are double waxed .
Hence my recent interest navigating this EU wide travel minefield, trying to keep abreast of every twist and turn .

Fortunately as I said earlier , locally here in Liguria Covids under control as far as I can tell .

13CFA61F-5F2A-4FD1-B3C4-97B3580AE9EF.jpeg

Oh we did our teak , it’s real planks btw .This year I used 1 1/2 L of sealant , about 3/4 coats and water inc sea now forma globules.
So we scrubbed most of the winters dirt off with sea water on a bobbing anchorage , the bobbing rinsed it .
Then cleaner in the Marina , then the acid brightener , then shed loadsa of sealer .It’s amazing how much is absorbed .It’s got a linseed oil whiff about it = cricket bat days :)

The jetty colour is how it previously looked .
Id say all in all ( stuff dries fast in the heat round here ) it took 4 hrs .

Last edited:

jointventureII

Visit site
It was , you ought to have popped round .(y)

I walk down the marina each morning (on the weekends anyway) , but at about 7am as my 6 month old has usually woken us up by 6.30. I'll try to pop down later next weekend if I'm still not called away on the Pershing.

We were supposed to be in France by now but boss & guests keep postponing and the restrictions are being cranked up on a weekly basis there, Liguria in comparison feels very open and free. Add the new posidonia anchoring restrictions for >24m and France is losing a lot of appeal for the 24-40m yachts.

Chris H

Visit site
I walk down the marina each morning (on the weekends anyway) , but at about 7am as my 6 month old has usually woken us up by 6.30. I'll try to pop down later next weekend if I'm still not called away on the Pershing.

We were supposed to be in France by now but boss & guests keep postponing and the restrictions are being cranked up on a weekly basis there, Liguria in comparison feels very open and free. Add the new posidonia anchoring restrictions for >24m and France is losing a lot of appeal for the 24-40m yachts.
We tried to get into Monaco but they want a current PCR test, so we drove in by car, no problem, other ports in France haven’t asked for anything.