MDL Price rise for 2016

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I had been wondering if there would be comment here.
I received my renewal pack yesterday and, while I am not necessarily concerned by the apparent increase (I haven't checked against what I paid last year yet) I do have some concerns about the way it is being handled.
In recent years we have been offered a discount for making full payment early - about 3%. This appears to no longer be the case so it looks as if I may be facing a "real" increase of over 6%. Also, the payment is still required by 15th January for a contract that does not start until 1st April.
There is no actual invoice or explanation of how the charge has been calculated, nor is there a copy of a berthing agreement.

gjgm

Visit site
I had been wondering if there would be comment here.
I received my renewal pack yesterday and, while I am not necessarily concerned by the apparent increase (I haven't checked against what I paid last year yet) I do have some concerns about the way it is being handled.
In recent years we have been offered a discount for making full payment early - about 3%. This appears to no longer be the case so it looks as if I may be facing a "real" increase of over 6%. Also, the payment is still required by 15th January for a contract that does not start until 1st April.
There is no actual invoice or explanation of how the charge has been calculated, nor is there a copy of a berthing agreement.
What happens if you decide to apply 30.3.16...? It didn't say what that price would be, did it?

Bazzer

Visit site
Quite justified IMO, don't like it, would prefer a decrease but that just ain't going to happen. Blame rising property values, national living wage, and a more prosperous economy. But if you like where you are, pay up and enjoy another year of boating. You can always feel smug as you will be paying far less than us folk in a mdl hamble marina....

+1 i for one like ocean village.

z1ppy

Visit site
Seriously, 3.5% is very reasonable in my view (we also received our renewal invite yesterday) Boating is not a cheap business and doing it on the cheap often leads to disappointment.

I have had experience with a number of MDL marinas this year which have ranged from very good to outstanding and beyond the call of service.

Why dont you look back over the last 8 years say and see what your yearly increases have been. I believe i am right in saying that they have only increased their rates (putting aside VAT increases) 3 or 4 times in this period...

Our increase this year was 3.5 % which equates to a meal and a half decent bottle of wine. Suck it up and enjoy the fact you get fuel at cost (which is falling fast right now) free nights and short stays at their other marinas and the assurance of berthing with a company that actual do care, despite what many people say and how many of the boating community treat their staff, (and yes that is some of the forum members here and i have seen it first hand!)

I can say all of this now as i have no connection to MDL whatsoever, just a customer who will be returning in the future.

Thanks for looking after my boat this year MDL, your efforts are appreciated!!

BruceK

Visit site
I guess this is where I get another chance to evangelise on a river pontoon berth. £80 a month, no several gross yottie rigging wires banging away in a cramped ghetto or wandering footfalls. Views you can really appreciate. Much closer to the town, 2 minute water taxi ride for a quid. Only downer is no electricity on tap. However a quiet genny on the rare occaision, solar panel and good house batteries see us through and we don't really miss it. What's not to like?

Last edited:

benjenbav

Visit site
I guess this is where I get another chance to evangelise on a river pontoon berth. £80 a month, no several gross yottie rigging wires banging away in a cramped ghetto or wandering footfalls. Views you can really appreciate. Much closer to the town, 2 minute water taxi ride for a quid. Only downer is no electricity on tap. However a quiet genny on the rare occaision, solar panel and good house batteries see us through and we don't really miss it. What's not to like?

Hmm, looks "quite" nice but I'm not sure I'd sleep soundly within cannonball range of that castle. :D

oldgit

Visit site
No point in getting money "up front" any more,what are you going to do with it .Certainly no interest to be earned.
Money is so cheap now .
My club has just culled the advance payment discount and charges a bit more for quarterly payment.
Negative inflation and all that,the BOE charges for looking after your cash overnight I believe ?

Freeloader

Visit site
It might not say anywhere but it must be the case that the early payment discount is included, as my quote is 3.25% higher than the net figure that I paid last year.

It may be expensive but, as Whitelighter was suggesting, it is supply and demand - if it were a lot cheaper, there would probably be a waiting list and, consequently, I may not have got a berth last year and I might otherwise still be on the waiting list next year....

rwoofer

Visit site
Is it really supply and demand?

To my eye marina's don't seem as full as they used to be. More people seem to be exiting boating than entering, causing a drop in used boat prices.

Maybe the price increases are really to maintain margin and given the lack of supply of cheap moorings, many people don't have a choice.

Ian h

Visit site
Seriously, 3.5% is very reasonable in my view (we also received our renewal invite yesterday) Boating is not a cheap business and doing it on the cheap often leads to disappointment.

I have had experience with a number of MDL marinas this year which have ranged from very good to outstanding and beyond the call of service.

Why dont you look back over the last 8 years say and see what your yearly increases have been. I believe i am right in saying that they have only increased their rates (putting aside VAT increases) 3 or 4 times in this period...

Our increase this year was 3.5 % which equates to a meal and a half decent bottle of wine. Suck it up and enjoy the fact you get fuel at cost (which is falling fast right now) free nights and short stays at their other marinas and the assurance of berthing with a company that actual do care, despite what many people say and how many of the boating community treat their staff, (and yes that is some of the forum members here and i have seen it first hand!)

I can say all of this now as i have no connection to MDL whatsoever, just a customer who will be returning in the future.

Thanks for looking after my boat this year MDL, your efforts are appreciated!!

Howard I agree wih what you are saying,
What is frusrating is the way MDL advise the next years berthing costs, There is no explanation of how much the fee's have gone up and why.

Its a bit like car insurance you have to dig out last years bill , Then call the marina manager to ask why the rise. ETC.
I have been at Saxon Wharf since October 2009 and have no complaints about the staff and the service they provide, It just that Saxon is also a bit of a working yard as well so lacks any other facilites apart from boat storage, There has been talk of a diesel fuel facility at Saxon for the last couple of years but still waiting, As a Dry stack customer there are a few of us that feel MDL could do more, as we do not have a need for a lot of the services that MDL Claim are good value.

I would not even entertain the MDL Hamble prices, But I could take the boat to Spain with MDL and pay around £3500 less,
I am though not yet ready to move to the Med, its just an observation.

I have looked at other drystacks and the only 1 currently that i could move to is Trafalgar Wharf, and they are more expensive.

oldgit

Visit site
But I could take the boat to Spain with MDL and pay around £3500 less,
Until...
The £ eventually goes back to a more long term level.
" airfares
" accomodation.
" car parking
" car hire
" sheer aggravation of getting there
" having to plan any trip months in advance
" standing at the end of an airport que of 150 tetchy people wondering if the car hire people are going to see that scratch you put in the bumper
" the interesting months wait to see if they have spotted it and have nicked the 1000 euro deposit from your credit card.
:)

Last edited:

Firefly625

Visit site
........I have been at Saxon Wharf since October 2009 and have no complaints about the staff and the service they provide, It just that Saxon is also a bit of a working yard as well so lacks any other facilites apart from boat storage,.......I would not even entertain the MDL Hamble prices, .......

Obviously I do understand if you dry stack, probably your use of your boat is quite different to what we do with ours. But I would not consider Saxon for the reasons you state & I will happily pay a premium for a Hamble marina because its simply a nicer place to be...

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Until...
The £ eventually goes back to a more long term level.
" airfares
" accomodation.
" car parking
" car hire
" sheer aggravation of getting there
" having to plan any trip months in advance
" standing at the end of an airport que of 150 tetchy people wondering if the car hire people are going to see that scratch you put in the bumper
" the interesting months wait to see if they have spotted it and have nicked the 1000 euro deposit from your credit card.
:)

Tee-hee or you could
- fly on points
- stay on the boat
- travel by motorcycle to the UK airport and park for free
- keep your own transport in the Med so no need for all that car hire hassle
- enjoy the bike ride/lounge/g&t on the plane/scooter ride
- use your points to book a flight at no notice
- avoid the tetchy queue because you didn't hire a car in the first place
- er, and ditto

Life is what you make it :D

Croftie

Visit site
Obviously I do understand if you dry stack, probably your use of your boat is quite different to what we do with ours. But I would not consider Saxon for the reasons you state & I will happily pay a premium for a Hamble marina because its simply a nicer place to be...
Being in a northern inland marina I don't know your south coast berthing costs. Most of the marina web sites seem to be price on application. So what would be the annual cost for a 10mt boat say at Saxon or "premium for a Hamble marina"?

Croftie

Visit site
approx. £4700 Saxon v's £6400 Mercury

Hmmm a little more than me at Naburn Marina (York)
£2400 (5% dis for early payment) for a 10mt boat. Pontoon Finger berth with electric (metered), water, wifi (reasonable cost) modern shower block, good cafe on site etc and great staff.

Downside, a long way to France..... :)