May 1st, Round the Island powerboat race viewing?

R.Ems

Visit site
Any tips on the best places to view this race, either from the mainland or the Island? And will the competitors be berthed at Cowes before and after? I would like to have a look at these amazing boats, cheers for suggestions.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I remember watching the Cowes Torquay powerboat race in 1965 whilst sitting up on the cliffs at Torquay. I recall the royal yacht on the finish line & Brave Moppie heading for the line in front of another boat. They crossed the line the wrong side & to get back across they had to wind her up full bore & turn really tight flat out. The sight was thrilling & she just made it. .

But the most awe inspiring sight was Brave Borderer the naval vessel.
My friend was training to be a naval architect at Newcastle & the students were taken for a run on Brave Swordsman. An Identical Brave class boat. My friend said that they did 60 MPH for a very short burst & the captain said that she would go faster, but was not allowed to do so in peace time.

Anyway Brave Borderer was at Torquay as support & got a message that someone was in trouble. She opened up the throttle & the whole boat just threw water out the stern in a massive thrust as she rose up on the plane & disappeared out of the bay. That was the best bit.

I think that was the year Emille Savundra's Jackie S ( named after his daughter) broke her steering gear & cut a yacht in half. He was the owner of Fire Marine & Auto the insurance Co that went skint leaving hundreds with no insurance over night. When interviewed on the David Frost programme he asked why there were peasants in the studio demanding that he answered questions about supposed "dodgy dealings". His wife took him to the labour exchange to collect his dole money after being declared bankrupt, in "her" roller.

stelican

Visit site
Brave Borderer.
A friend was throttle/ helmsman whatever you would call it.
He said they were tied up against the wall in Alderney with quite a few onlookers on the wall. Time came to "fire up" and leave, He told the onlookers to stand well away from the stern. Apparently they soon scattered as the turbines blasted out flames!
He told me best speed he saw was 62 knots.

benjenbav

Visit site
The record belongs to a Negotiator the Lamborghini powered catamaran driven by Chris Parsonage from Plymouth entered the record books on Sunday 28 August setting a new round the Island speed record in a time of 32 minutes 22 seconds at an average speed of 111mph in 2005

Parsonage breaks record - Motor Boat & Yachting

Record Round the Island time | Media & PR | Red Funnel
Wow - that’s quick.
I did see 130 knots in an AquaStar once - just by the Nab Tower, but I ‘think’ that might have been the chartplotter playing up. :) :) :)

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
any results could not find any info out
It’s incredible isn’t it. Nothing, zilch on the net. But silverline 1st, Tommy one second. By just a few seconds I gather, Tommy one had a spot of trouble with the trim. Silverline didn’t weigh enough, but the result stands. This is all just word of mouth from Tommy’s driver, he’d been celebrating his entry to the 100mph club.