Maxi-Roach mainsail

MarkRick

Visit site
Has anyone got experience of a vertically-battened Maxi-Roach mainsail? The claim is that if you have in-mast furling they improve performance and ease of reefing - any views? What's the sail quality like? And any snags?

Talbot

Visit site
I have a maxiroach and like the concept. I think the vertical battens make a big difference in sail shape, and do provide a good reference for the reefing. However, I reckon they cut the sail a bit high, which can cause some problems in reefing and reduces your overall sail area.

Other sail makers wil happily make the same sort of sail with vertical battens (e.g. Arun)

MarkRick

Visit site
Thanks for reply. I don't understand your point on them cutting the mainsail high, thus reducing area. Do you mean that foot is cut high, ie raising boom?

Talbot

Visit site
yes, the clew is cut much higher than other sailmakers, thus the foot of the sail is not at 90 degrees to the mast. It means that you really need to be able to adjust the kicker from the cockpit, as you really need to keep the boom at 90 degrees when pulling out the sail, and release the boom when reefing.

Would be happy to show you, but my sail is at sailmakers for winter check.

Becky

Visit site
I had a Maxi-Roach on my previous boat. It was on the mast when I bought; probably not something I would have chosen, but it was virtually brand new at the time.
For me it was sometimes very hard to pull away. The battens tended to catch on the slot, so that it would only furl if the boom was directly in line with the slot, i.e. slightly to stb of head to wind. Also you had to have the boom at the correct angle or it wouldn't go away easily. Sometimes I tried to winch it away, but the winch wasn't in the right place so got riding turns. Also, Richard pointed out that the roach was negligible anyway, a point we raised with the company at two boat shows. I was advised to return the sail, but I sold the boat beforehand. However, on the whole it was OK, just difficult at times. I had to telephone the company once, and they were very helpful.

muddyfeet

Visit site
I have had a Maxi-roach for two years following recommendations from several friends who have them.I certainly have no regrets - once you get used to the simple recommended furling and unfurling proceedure ( It took a few trips to get used to with the odd jam-up) but now, no problems at all and the battens stow well and keep the canvas tamed and quiet when reefing.The shape of the sail with its extra roach give a much better performance in comparison with the sail supplied new with the boat.
I think the extra cost was very worthwhile!

snowleopard

Visit site
a friend with a HR36 had one and a batten split shortly after starting the ARC. because the batten pocket only opened at the top and he wasn't fit enough to shin up the mast at sea, he had to sail 2000 miles with the leech sagging to leeward.

chrisc

Visit site
Had a maxi-roach for last four seasons ,no problems , find it very easy to use ,
Would it not be possible ,in emergency ,to drop sail with battens still in -seems to me it would be quite possible ,the battens are flexible enough to do this ,I think.

cynthia

Visit site
Had a vertical batten Maxi Roach for the last four years, and we have sailed extensively. No problems at all, the sail v. good quality, no jamming and I find it easy to reef/ unfurl from the cockpit when on single watch - a real advantage. Better performance than the original in mast reefing sail provided with the boat from new. Will definitely be replaced with identical sail when the time comes as we both consider it money well spent.

boatmike

Visit site
Interesting Mark.
On mine the foot is very nearly 90deg to the mast. I believe the angle of pull when deploying is critical though as you need to pull such that you don't wrinkle the sail coming out of the slot and the battens come out straight. This makes your point that the kicker needs to be released quite correct. I also find that to have the topping lift too tight is a mistake too...
Don't understand Snowleopards point though as I can withdraw all my battens from the bottom with the sail up if I want to. Can't you?

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I agree with you boatmike, and Becky's comments too.

Snowleaopard may be referring to stiffeners in the leech rather than full length batterns - but they could still have dropped the main to sort it out.

I spoke with Mr MaxiRoach (can't remember his name) at the show yesterday about putting stiffeners in ours. He is very helpful and enthusastic and happy to help as best he can, including visiting the boat to test the sail and the furler working together.

The topping lift is important, not so sure about the kicker on ours, but I did cause myself a big problem by furling with too much tension on the leech line. Next time, we had quite a jam to sort out - which resulted in jimi going up the mast for me, but that's another story!

Talbot

Visit site
As well as the 3 full length battens, I also have two short (abt 1metre) battens that help to stiffen the leech, although my sail has very little roach in it.

For mine, I have to hold the boom at 90 deg by use of kicker and topping lift in order to avoid a riding turn in the reefing drum. This means that I have to allow the sail to unwind as far as I want it before tihtening the clew line. I have to release the topping lift before tightening the clew line to allow the boom to lift up to the clew.

when reefing it is essential that I release the kicking strap to allow the boom to lift before attempting to reef, otherwise I can get the vertical batten out of line with the reefing foil.

Bit of a performance, but provided i follow these simple rules, I have no trouble with the system.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

when reefing it is essential that I release the kicking strap to allow the boom to lift before attempting to reef, otherwise I can get the vertical batten out of line with the reefing foil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this one - the battens being out of line cause me some concern too - I will pay more attention to the kicker in future. I have a mark on the topping lift so I can set it at exactly the right height, too.

MarkRick

Visit site
Thanks to everyonel for all the useful advice. I've had a lot of recommendations to switch to a vertically-battened main - here, from other owners, and from the Selden guys at SBS - so will give it a go.
I've gone ahead and placed an order for a Maxi-Roach - will give feedback in spring if anyone's interested.
Some feedback I've had from Maxi-Roach and others is:
- you need to keep boom at the correct angle (with kicker slackened) when furling / unfurling: if kicker is tight you get jams
- cut of foot of sail is same as any furling main (all furling mains are cut a few degres above horizontal to ease reefing)
- amount of roach available is a function of each boat's geometry (ie clearance to backstay) - size of roach should be similar with conventional and vertical battened main
- vertical battens should improve sail shape (and size) when using full-main: they also hold luff taut when part reefed