Max Power bow thruster direction

Keith-i

Visit site
I’m about to install a new Max Power thruster and am trying to establish which way the gearbox should face. The instructions advise the prop should be on the centreline of the tunnel which means the gearbox needs to be offset to either port or starboard. Which is it please as the instructions are silent on this. I presume I need to get it correct otherwise the joystick would presumably operate bact to front.

C08

Visit site
If the prop is centre then I would have the gearbox whichever way is easier to get at the top wiring, connections etc. Normally you just reverse a wire if the motor direction is not as the lever direction. In the instructions for my (sidepower) thruster it recognises that often the direction is wrong initially and advises which wires to swap.

Portofino

Visit site
FYI - The Vetus BF on my boat has a single prop and the gearbox is positioned on the starboard side .

But I,am sure being D.C. powered they are amenable to wire reversal as mentioned ^^^

MapisM

Visit site
If the prop is centre then I would have the gearbox whichever way is easier to get at the top wiring, connections etc. Normally you just reverse a wire if the motor direction is not as the lever direction. In the instructions for my (sidepower) thruster it recognises that often the direction is wrong initially and advises which wires to swap.
+1 to all that, but on top of the easiness of access I would also consider whatever placement is better for a robust attachment of the thing, which develops a fair bit of torque when operated.

Keith-i

Visit site
Thanks all. I suspected it would be offset to starboard but didn’t want to bias any opinions by stating so in my first post. Indeed MapisM I will be bracing it as I think that was the demise of my last tube which weakened and crumbled. It was 30 years old tho.

CLB

Visit site
I offset mine to port, but then I do whatever I can to try and counter the boats slight starboard list when at rest ;)