Matsuetec HP33a

Visit site
I have a matsuetec HP33a transponder that will not transmit, it has the mssi set and recieves perfectly
Does anyone know of a repair agent in the UK
Matsutec do not want to help as they seem to have discontinued this model
TIA

pvb

Visit site
I have a matsuetec HP33a transponder that will not transmit, it has the mssi set and recieves perfectly
TIA

Seems that you've discovered first hand the problems of buying cheap Chinese stuff. As JumbleDuck once commented "Matsutec do technical support like the Syria Army does shiatsu massage." - he bought a second HP-33A when his first one died.

There are lots of other transceivers now to choose from. If I were going to buy a transceiver today, I'd go for an em-trak B100 for around £390. Why? It's got both NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 connectivity to start with (the HP-33A only has NMEA0183), and this gives an element of future-proofing, as newer plotters are tending only to have NMEA2000. It's designed in England and made in Europe. It has a sensible user manual. It has an SD card slot for data logging. And it has a 3 year warranty. OK, it doesn't have the little screen which is basically a novelty, and most people want their AIS info to be overlaid on a decent-size plotter screen.

TSB240

Visit site
TIA

Sorry to hear you are having problems as mine has been trouble free since I first purchased and set it up nearly 5 years ago.
Is yours new to you from the factory or second hand?

I assume that it is second hand so no chance of returning it for a discounted replacement with the newer HP528A which has replaced it.

I very much doubt there is anyone other than Matsutec who could repair and it is probably not worth their time to investigate and repair.

I would check out a couple of things first before binning it!
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
How do you know it is not transmitting and only receiving?
(NB my HP33A can and does receive AIS signals from a boat in the same dock without any VHF aerial connected to it.)
If you are using a mobile phone or internet based web site to check it can take a long time before you will show up on AIS live for instance. I quote a review

"[FONT=&quot]It is important when setting up and first transmitting position to give plenty of time for your boat appear on "Marine Traffic" AIS for example, mine ran for a couple of hours before my [pleasure] boat appeared on internet AIS applications. Once it did appear I could upload a picture to Marine Traffic to correspond to MMSI number and boat name"

[/FONT]
If you have a boat alongside with a receiver check with him first. He should get your signal within 30 seconds of you turning on unless there are lots of Class A transmitters around when it could take a little longer.
[FONT=&quot]
Are you using your main mast vhf aerial with an active splitter?
Some splitters are only suitable for AIS receive and not for transmit so this might be a reason for no transmit.

There is a setting in the system settings that allows you to turn off TX. Is it possible you have done this. I seem to remember that this unit defaults to TX on once it has been powered off and on again but I may be wrong.....

Finally there is a way of updating the software . This might also cure any programming fault. I can't advise but a forum search will help you find the way and the means.

Steve

[/FONT]

TSB240

Visit site
Seems that you've discovered first hand the problems of buying cheap Chinese stuff. As JumbleDuck once commented "Matsutec do technical support like the Syria Army does shiatsu massage." - he bought a second HP-33A when his first one died.

There are lots of other transceivers now to choose from. If I were going to buy a transceiver today, I'd go for an em-trak B100 for around £390. Why? It's got both NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 connectivity to start with (the HP-33A only has NMEA0183), and this gives an element of future-proofing, as newer plotters are tending only to have NMEA2000. It's designed in England and made in Europe. It has a sensible user manual. It has an SD card slot for data logging. And it has a 3 year warranty. OK, it doesn't have the little screen which is basically a novelty, and most people want their AIS info to be overlaid on a decent-size plotter screen.

I can't fit a 24inch plotter in my cockpit but at least I have a very handy screen for the helm to view. The HP 33A displays the CPA and TCPA MMSI and Boat Name of any potential new dangers coming into range that it picks up. I also take the NMEA output from my HP33A to a mini pc that uses a serial to USB converter to network all the boats NMEA including the AIS . This is then displayed on a 24 inch TV screen with the best anti collision software running using OPEN CPN. Way better solution than any small boat sized plotter!

I made more use of the little "novelty" screen viewable from the helm than the 24" TV down below during an 11 hour zero visibility Irish sea crossing last year.
I can also see our tiny little ancient green screen "novelty" Raytheon radar from the helm! :eek:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Hah. Invoked, by George.

Yes, my HP-33A died, but I strongly suspect that it was down to a dud power supply, which it turned out had been flickering off and on again at frequent intervals. I therefore give them a pass on design, but not on their customer service, which was non-existent. Nigel Mercier used to get things out of them, so perhaps my personality is not a winning one or perhaps they had already dropped the model when I asked.

Anyway, I bought another which I shall be installing soon. I have no wish for a plotter and the screen is actually a very, very nice standalone GPS with a very nice AIS target screen too. If/when Number Two dies I expect I'll replace it with the new Onwa version.

My new HP-33A cost about half as much as the Emtrak B100, which may be good but doesn't do what I want (screen) a d does something I don't need (NMEA 2k).

I am not offering Apple fanboi levels of praise for Matsutec, but (while it worked) the HP-33A was a great product at a fantastic price.

OP, are you sure it's not transmitting? When I set mine up it took about fifteen minutes to start showing on other boats in the marina and two hours to appear on Marine Traffic. Dunno why.

Visit site
Thanks for insights
the unit is 6 months old bought new via Amazon from what i believed was a uk based seller, turns out they were not UK based and don't want to know. Matsutec don't want to know, so stuck really.
It has its own aerial and I have checked with others who have a receiver and they are not receiving anything from mine.
I was unlucky and bought just before other reasonably priced similar unit started to appear.
Had I seen the Emtrak B100 at the time i would have gone for it as only £50 more than this one.
It is a shame as the unit flush mounted at the wheel and connected to the plotter below works well showing me what close when at the wheel and a broader picture on the plotter
Suppose I will have to take it on the chin expensive lesson learned all is not as it seems on Amazon.
Just as a warning Amazon not interested and MasterCard no help section 75 of the consumer credit act does not apply when buying from Amazon.

pvb

Visit site
Thanks for insights
the unit is 6 months old bought new via Amazon from what i believed was a uk based seller, turns out they were not UK based and don't want to know. Matsutec don't want to know, so stuck really.
It has its own aerial and I have checked with others who have a receiver and they are not receiving anything from mine.
I was unlucky and bought just before other reasonably priced similar unit started to appear.
Had I seen the Emtrak B100 at the time i would have gone for it as only £50 more than this one.
It is a shame as the unit flush mounted at the wheel and connected to the plotter below works well showing me what close when at the wheel and a broader picture on the plotter
Suppose I will have to take it on the chin expensive lesson learned all is not as it seems on Amazon.
Just as a warning Amazon not interested and MasterCard no help section 75 of the consumer credit act does not apply when buying from Amazon.

I'm surprised you can't get a refund from Amazon. A couple of things I've bought from Amazon have failed and they've refunded me without a quibble, and indeed without wanting to see the broken items.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Thanks for insights
the unit is 6 months old bought new via Amazon from what i believed was a uk based seller, turns out they were not UK based and don't want to know. .

There are two boards inside. I think one does the RF (AIS and GPS) stuff and the other does power and the display. Do you want to try the RF board from my dead one in yours?

Visit site
I tried Amazon and as it was more than 30 days they refused, I believe this is another difference with Amazon market place that is not made very clear. The Amazon 123 guarantee is only 30 days anyway

pvb

Visit site
I tried Amazon and as it was more than 30 days they refused, I believe this is another difference with Amazon market place that is not made very clear. The Amazon 123 guarantee is only 30 days anyway

The last item I got refunded was 2 years old, but had a 5 year warranty. Amazon refunded immediately.

pvb

Visit site

nick@dwyer.ie

Visit site
I have had a matsutec hp 33a for about four years, it worked very well , never a problem. Now it starts up does the memory test, invokes the master program which shows the logo then turns off. I can't get beyond that. There is at least 12.8 volts all this time the unit powers up. So I presume the unit is the problem. like others say matsutec require me to return it to China for diagnosis. For which they will charge as it is out of warranty. fair enough but it's cheaper to buy a new one!

Before buying their updated model I was wondering if any one has any suggestions.thanks

Yngmar

Visit site
I have had a matsutec hp 33a for about four years, it worked very well , never a problem. Now it starts up does the memory test, invokes the master program which shows the logo then turns off. I can't get beyond that. There is at least 12.8 volts all this time the unit powers up. So I presume the unit is the problem. like others say matsutec require me to return it to China for diagnosis. For which they will charge as it is out of warranty. fair enough but it's cheaper to buy a new one!

Before buying their updated model I was wondering if any one has any suggestions.thanks

Ours did this briefly in spring after being off all winter. After a few times of starting it up again, it stayed on longer each time and after a few hours it was all fine and hasn't done it once since then. Perhaps some capacitor issue. Give it a few more tries and see if it stays on longer - might just work.

TSB240

Visit site

Is it possible that the screen brightness was accidentally turned right down. I had a dark screen but new the unit was still working as it was providing GPS and ais to info to Tablet and repeater instruments... Similar symptoms caused by same button being used to turn it off.....