Marine Varnish

muskie

Visit site
Could someone tell me if I need to varnish the tiller do I need to use something for "Marine Type". And, how they call this type of varnish? Thanks for the replies in advance!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

VirgoVoyager

Visit site
If your tiller is made of wood (!) and the varnish is showing signs of deterioration - eg light patches, cracks, flaking etc, then you do need to varnish it. Marine varnish is usually listed as "yacht varnish" and you can find information and suppliers on the web eg <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtpaint.com/uk/>http://www.yachtpaint.com/uk/</A> for details of the International range.

Tiller will need prep, of course - remove old flaky varnish, sand smooth and build up several coats of varnish, sanding with fine grade paper in between coats.

Happy varnishing!

Stuart

<hr width=100% size=1>

maha

Visit site
B&Q yacht varnish is what I used and its a bloody site cheaper than swindlerys.

Remove all the old varnish first and sand smooth, then apply the first coat as a 50/50 mix with white spirt, the second as 25% white spirt and 75% varnish and a further 4 coats of just varnish...

Did mine 3 years ago and still perfect.

Happy tillering

Malc (maha)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Avocet

Visit site
I've been very impressed with Ronseal "outdoor" varnish - it has lasted a lot better than the "yacht" varnish I used to use. You need to put a fair few coats on though - as with any varnish, I'd be inclined to give it at least four coats. It's the ultraviolet that seems to attack it rather than the rain.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Althorne

Visit site
Going back a few months in one of the boaty mags' a `yacht varnish test` actually found that the B&Q varnish came top or very close to at a fraction of the cost of many others, so should be good as malc (maha) says. If it is a wooden tiller then why not West Epoxy. Done in this it will not only look exceptionally good but will wear very well and last an awful long time before requiring re-coating.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Rustins Flexterior

Not a yacht varnish but gives a nice finish and breathes so it doesn't go all manky the way varnish does - no rubbing down when you want to recoat it, just wipe it down then paint on some more.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

floatything

Visit site
When you suggest West Epoxy - am I right in suggesting you 'varnish' it with a layer of epoxy resin? I just want to clarify this as someone else has recently suggested West Epoxy and I may well take that advice. I presume other epoxy systems would do the same trick?

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site
Be very careful here. I think you will find that Epoxy Resins require a coat of U.V. absorbing varnish to protect them. I have a small amount of unvarnished epoxy on my boat & it has gone a very strange colour. From what I remember of the West leaflets I am sure they reccommend a coat of Varnish if the Epoxy is to be exposed to sunlight.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
Have a care with yacht varnish from DIY stores.
I bought some 'International' yacht varnish from our local Focus DIY store. It said in small letters 'For interior use only'..

Not quite what I would call yacht varnish - but it was OK for inside my DIY motorhome. Well, moderately OK. It had softening problems in hot weather in the first two years, but by last year the solvent had baked out and it didn't try to slough off the top layers when the varnish was knocked.

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>