Marine gas regulator - Gaslow

isandell

Visit site
Further to recent threads here, I decided that, while renewing most of the gas installation, including an ancient regulator, I would fit a marine (Annex M) regulator. I choose the Gaslow 01-3110, with an input gauge, of sorts. Not much choice in marine regulators.

When it arrived, it turned out to be a German GDK regulator. No mention of Annex M, or the Gaslow part number. So when I sell the boat, no proof that it is an Annex M reg. The instructions are all in German and Gaslow can't provide them in English. The only English wording is an obscure note about a connector at the inlet not being closed. Apparently this refers to a different version of the regulator.

For a bit of kit that cost nearly £50, I feel rather cheated. No wonder most people fit a £5 caravan regulators.

Ian

VicS

Visit site
I can see why you might choose an Annexe M regulator but why one with an HP pressure gauge for a boat which is not a new build and presumably not a "commercial" vessel either

A Gas Boat annexe M regulator (without a pressure gauge) is £29 from Socal

I'd do as above, send it back. If it isn't marked Annexe M it isn't Annexe M in my book

Last edited:

FullCircle

Visit site
Go to www.bes.co.uk

They have EN 12864 annex M in stock at the usual 6 or 7 quid. Give them a ring to confirm, as there are many products conforming to other standards.

isandell

Visit site
I can see why you might choose an Annexe M regulator but why one with an HP pressure gauge for a boat which is not a new build and presumably not a "commercial" vessel either

I quite like the idea of a built-in leak detector and fitting a bubble tester would be difficult in our gas locker. Gasboat list an annex M regulator with gauge but never replied to an email asking where I could get one.

I probably will send the Gaslow regulator back, but it's a hassle packing and posting, and then re-ordering from Socal, paying postage again. I have emailed Gaslow to give them chance to reply.

My email was mainly for information for other readers.

Ian

isandell

Visit site
Go to www.bes.co.uk

They have EN 12864 annex M in stock at the usual 6 or 7 quid. Give them a ring to confirm, as there are many products conforming to other standards.

Do you have a reference number or anything for that? It seems odd as I searched the BES site before I ordered (with Hamilton) and didn't find anything. BES do list an Annex D caravan reg for about £25.

Ian

VicS

Visit site
I quite like the idea of a built-in leak detector and fitting a bubble tester would be difficult in our gas locker.
Yes fitting a bubble detector in the locker can be a problem but I don't really understand why they should be in the locker. They are part of the LP system so why do they go in the locker?

Not so sure on the other hand that the HP pressure gauge is much of a substitute for a bubble leak detector.

Like you i could not find annexe M regulators on the BES website.

I have not come across the GasBoat one with a gauge anywhere either. Socal list gauges separately but that puts another £55 on top of the regulator price!

crisjones

Visit site
Bubble detector should be fitted as close to the gas bottle as possible to ensure that they can detect leaks anywhere in the system.

The further away from the bottle you fit them the more potential leakage points there are that the bubble detector will not detect - they will only show leaks that are downstream of the bubble detector, hence any joints, valves etc that are between bottle and detector will not be "protected" by the bubble detector.

isandell

Visit site
Bubble detector should be fitted as close to the gas bottle as possible to ensure that they can detect leaks anywhere in the system

Yes, which is why I wanted to fit a leak detector in the gas locker. The next practicable place to fit one, ie where it can be easily seen, is just upstream of the flexible to the cooker.

Still no reply from Gaslow to my email about lack of any evidence that regulator does conform to Annex M, so will now contact Hamilton about returning it.

Ian

Talulah

Visit site
When it arrived, it turned out to be a German GDK regulator. No mention of Annex M, or the Gaslow part number. So when I sell the boat, no proof that it is an Annex M reg. The instructions are all in German and Gaslow can't provide them in English. The only English wording is an obscure note about a connector at the inlet not being closed. Apparently this refers to a different version of the regulator.
Ian

I suspect you haven't a GDK regulator but a GOK regulator.
This bit of info may help in your Google searches.

isandell

Visit site
The manufacturer, GOK (Not GDK as I said earlier), sent a very helpful email comfirming that the regulator that I bought does NOT conform the Annex M. They do make an Annex M unit, but it's a different family and looks nothing like the one that I bought.

Gaslow claim that it does in their brochure, and even confirmed so in an email to me before I bought the regulator. I think that I will stay well clear of Gaslow in future.

Ian

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
The manufacturer, GOK (Not GDK as I said earlier), sent a very helpful email comfirming that the regulator that I bought does NOT conform the Annex M. They do make an Annex M unit, but it's a different family and looks nothing like the one that I bought.

Gaslow claim that it does in their brochure, and even confirmed so in an email to me before I bought the regulator. I think that I will stay well clear of Gaslow in future.

Ian
The Gaslow brochure I am looking at http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pdf/Gaslow-2011-brochure.pdf shows a couple of "marine" regulators but the is no mention of Annexe M.
They are designed in stainless steel, but that's about all. No mention is made of the vent being positioned to drain water off the diaphragm and no mention of a overpressure relief device with a downward facing vent. Both are part of the Annexe M spec.
They have an outlet connection which is at a right angle but that is purely to enable them to be fitted into the Gaslow locker.

The regulator you mention, 01-3110, is one of those
It seems that as far as Gaslow are concerned "marine" does not mean "Annexe M" unless I have missed something.

A Google search for Gaslow + Annexe M finds this thread and suppliers who supply Gaslow products and Annexe M regulators of another make

Last edited:

isandell

Visit site
The Gaslow brochure I am looking at http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pdf/Gaslow-2011-brochure.pdf shows a couple of "marine" regulators but the is no mention of Annexe M.

That's interesting. I didn't see that brochure when I looked a month or so back. I suspect that it has recently replaced the previous one, which certainly did mention Annex M

There are plenty of google hits for 01-3110 + annex m , such

http://www.thegaslowcentre.co.uk/ma...-marine-stainless-steel-butane-regulator.html

and

http://www.thegaslowcentre.co.uk/ma...-marine-stainless-steel-butane-regulator.html

Gaslow said in an email to me specifically about the 01-3110 "Our Marine Regulator conform to 'Annex M' ".

Confused? I am.

Ian

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
"Our marine regulators have been designed to meet the new EN 12864 - Annex M standard for marine use and are produced in either Stainless Steel
or Zinc Alloy which have been specially coated both inside and out to protect them from the harsh salt air environment."
From Googles cache of the Gaslow site.

VicS

Visit site
My understanding is that Annexe M regulators are not only made with corrosion resistant materials above the diaphragm.

BUT ALSO have a vent positioned so that it prevents water accumulating above the diaphragm AND have an over pressurisation device with a downward facing vent (BS en ISO 10239 2000)

If your regulator has these two features then it is annex M otherwise it is not, at least not what I understand an annexe M regulator to be

The inlet pressure gauge is required by BS en ISO 10239 2008.

EN 12864 annex M

This standard is for the design and manufacture of regulators for LPG cylinders to supply appliances installed in saltwater boats.

Main points :-

• Material in contact with the atmosphere shall be suitably corrosion resistant. In particular this includes internal components above the diaphragm.
• The vent shall be on the edge of the diaphragm. In a suitable location and of suitable size to drain water which may collect on the diaphragm.
• Shall incorporate an over-pressure relief device, the vent shall be provided with a pipe connection facing downwards.
• Operating pressure specification to annex D.
• PD 5482 – 3 2005: Codes of practise for LPG installations in boats, yachts and other vessels, STATES. Regulators must conform to EN 12864
• EN ISO 10239-2000: Small craft LPG installation regulation covering all vessels built after 15th November 2000, STATES Regulators must incorporate a pressure reducing device. (OVER-PRESSURE RELIEF)
• Be suitably resistant.
• Regulators installed in vessels used in a saltwater environment must conform to EN 12863 annex M​

Reference at the end there to EN 12863 is a misprint I think as that refers to "transportable cylinders"

Last edited:

isandell

Visit site
The Gaslow 01-3110 does have an pressure relief valve and also has a small plastic vent cap which can be turned so that the vent hole points down. However, the manufacturer says that it does not conform to Annex and I'm prepared to believe them.

Hamilton not responding to emails so will have to ring them on Monday. What a pain this is becoming.

Ian

VicS

Visit site
The Gaslow 01-3110 does have an pressure relief valve and also has a small plastic vent cap which can be turned so that the vent hole points down. However, the manufacturer says that it does not conform to Annex and I'm prepared to believe them.

Hamilton not responding to emails so will have to ring them on Monday. What a pain this is becoming.

Ian
It is incredibly confusing.

The GasLow brochure I linked to previously shows 2 bottle mounted "marine" regulators, one with and one without the GasLow gauge. (01-3110 and 01-3100) They are not described as conforming to Annexe M

Elsewhere in their on-line literature I found a bulkhead mounted regulator, available in two sizes 01-3150 ( 8mm) and 01-3255 (10mm), that is specifically described as being made to EN12864M !

I have also found a different Brochure on Southdown Motor caravans website. That includes all the above regulators although only the bulkhead mounted one is specifically stated to be to EN 12864M
A separate panel says :
Our marine regulators have been
designed to meet the new EN 12864 -
Annex M standard for marine use and
are produced in either Stainless Steel
or Zinc Alloy which have been specially
coated both inside and out to protect
them from the harsh salt air
environment.​
That brochure is HERE
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

isandell

Visit site
That's the brochure that I saw when I was looking, before I ordered the 01-3110. It's ambiguous, which is why I emailed Gaslow to confirm that the 01-3110 did conform to Annex M, which they said it did.

GOK have said that the baulk mounted regulators, 01-3150 and 01-3155, do conform.

It looks to me like Gaslow have taken the GOK information, put it into their own brochure but have not understood properly what it means.

Ian