Marina Water Supplies

pmyatt

Visit site
Arrived in Southampton Town Quay on 28th May, after 17 years away from British marinas. Nice facilities with water on each pontoon complete with blue hose - and a sign saying "hoses are not to be used for potable water" - so why provide a fecking hose then?

Sandyman

Visit site
Cos the Brits like to wash & wash & wash & wash & wash & wash there boats. So much so that it has become a ritual. They arrive onboard then tog themselves up in protective clothing, rubber gloves, overalls, wellies, ear duffs, goggles you name it then spend six hours cleaning to fine detail with a toothbrush. After that its orf to jolly old sea for an hour or two what what before returning & doing it all over again. :)

sarabande

Visit site
Blue potable-designed hose has less plasticisers (nasty chemical stuff) than yellow, but the real reasons for using your own hose are the unhygienic happenings to marina hoses, such as dogs peeing on them, hoses used for flushing WCs and bilges, and people leaving the ends dangling in the 'oggin.

If you use your own hose, you know where it has been. :)

pmyatt

Visit site
Forgot to mention - blue hose is on a reel and the inboard end is cir-clipped to the tap fitting, inside the belly of the reel. Only way to use own hose is to connect to the end of the blue hose - which rather defeats the object when the blue hose reaches the boat.
Drinking water on the boat is either boiled, or passes through one of those ceramic EcoFilters.
We had been warned about UK Elfin's Afety! Never mind, the beer is just as good as I remember.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The notice is ass covering. If the notice wasn't there and someone took sick from drinking the water, then the marina would be liable for injury cause. By posting the notice, they transfer the liability to the customer, because they've warned you the water isn't fit to drink.
Most place I've been to seem to expect you to provide your own hose to avoid this problem.

pvb

Visit site
The notice is ass covering. If the notice wasn't there and someone took sick from drinking the water, then the marina would be liable for injury cause. By posting the notice, they transfer the liability to the customer, because they've warned you the water isn't fit to drink.

Exactly. As long as you let the water run for a while, water from a marina hose is perfectly safe. The UK isn't a third-world country, at least, not quite.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Arrived in Southampton Town Quay on 28th May, after 17 years away from British marinas. Nice facilities with water on each pontoon complete with blue hose - and a sign saying "hoses are not to be used for potable water" - so why provide a fecking hose then?
As above...

Welcome back to Englandshire.

johnalison

Visit site
I don't think it is the marinas' fault. I believe the regulations changed some years ago and water can't be labelled as potable unless there is a non-return valve in the system, at least, that is what we were told at the time. We always run it for a minute to eliminate legionella as far as possible and don't worry about it.

pvb

Visit site
I don't think it is the marinas' fault. I believe the regulations changed some years ago and water can't be labelled as potable unless there is a non-return valve in the system, at least, that is what we were told at the time. We always run it for a minute to eliminate legionella as far as possible and don't worry about it.

Shouldn't all outside taps have a check valve anyway?

Pete7

Visit site
Have you asked were you can find wholesome water without dismantling their supply infrastructure?

Pete

SimonFa

Visit site

That's what we were told when all the hosepipes were taken away. To be fair they sourced a load of flat ones on a reel that we bought at cost. I have to say I always prefer to use my own hose even when they're supplied, and that goes for the motorhome as well.

Resolution

Visit site
What is it that is supposed to germinate in the coils of a coiled up hose pipe in the sun?
On board Resolution in Turkey we have a super Spanish garden hose that we use when in marinas. ( Water is always charged for and you have to supply your own hose). So we never stuff the end in our bilges or holding tank and seldom in the marina water without then running through for a while. But when we put it away there is often some water trapped in the coils, which then lie in a hot cockpit locker for some days or even weeks. What dangers then lurk in the pipe? Would a simple couple of minutes flush through clear the danger? Would same danger not lurk in the marina pipes under the pontoon?
Has anyone died yet?
Peter

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
What is it that is supposed to germinate in the coils of a coiled up hose pipe in the sun?
On board Resolution in Turkey we have a super Spanish garden hose that we use when in marinas. ( Water is always charged for and you have to supply your own hose). So we never stuff the end in our bilges or holding tank and seldom in the marina water without then running through for a while. But when we put it away there is often some water trapped in the coils, which then lie in a hot cockpit locker for some days or even weeks. What dangers then lurk in the pipe? Would a simple couple of minutes flush through clear the danger? Would same danger not lurk in the marina pipes under the pontoon?
Has anyone died yet?
Peter

The major risk is with various bacterial nasties, such as legionella. These have caused deaths, perhaps not from marina hose pipes but the risk is there: low but real.

NormanS

Visit site
The older Clyde Cruising Club Sailing Directions always used to state, "Water at burns". Very few people died. :D

Cantata

Visit site
We drink the water from the tanks, boiled or not. We do dose it with Aquatabs/Aquasol just as a precaution. We use our own flat hose if none provided. Even drinking water right now from French marina taps, we don't seem to be any unhealthier than usual and the water tastes absolutely fine. Boat is plumbed out with Hep2O plastic pipe rather than plastic hose, which maybe helps - one boat we had years ago was plumbed with clear plastic hose and you could see stuff growing on the inside.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
The major risk is with various bacterial nasties, such as legionella. These have caused deaths, perhaps not from marina hose pipes but the risk is there: low but real.

Bacteria can form "biofilms" which could be resistant to being flushed away. Probably best to hoist your hose up the mast on a spare halyard after use to drain away any puddles. (I'll be looking out for anyone crazy enough to try that out!)

Mike.

Resolution

Visit site
Probably best to hoist your hose up the mast on a spare halyard after use to drain away any puddles. (I'll be looking out for anyone crazy enough to try that out!)

Mike.

Mike
Thanks for a great idea!! An addition to some of our mad dogs and Englishmen routines.
Peter

pmyatt

Visit site

I'm now beginning to understand why a number of boats in the marina started this weekend trundling down the ramp at low water with a trolley full of bottled water.

Heckler

Visit site
As others have said, CYA. A few years ago in Pwllheli, Welsh Water threatened them, bugs grow in hoses so you have to get rid. They did. I believe it was part of WW response, they allowed a reservoir to get polluted, they were heavily fined IIRC and got very twitchy about H&S
Stu