MArina In the area of Rome

charles_reed

Visit site
Porto di Ostia, springs to mind - likely you'll get in and the pilferage that was such a problem is supposed to be reduced.
If you do go there I'd avoid being close to the entrance, it's definitely uncomfortable.

Personally I'd have a look up the Fiumicino, at either Darsena Traiano or one of the yards along there - however there's no certainty about getting in.

Finally you could try, much further South, the marina at Gaeta. Professional, secure and an easy train ride up to Roma - but not cheap and very popular.

I'm afraid you'll find Italy exorbitantly expensive and overcrowded.

rickf

Visit site
ostia

I've spent most of the winter here in Ostia.
I've seen no problems with theft, although prudence should
reign. there is easy public transportation to Rome for a euro.
there is a bus to the airport as well. It is a little expensive,
especially in summer, but look on their web site for info
www.portoturisticodiroma.net

rickf

Roaring Girl

On the boat. But sadly right now she's in Malta w
www.sailblogs.com
If you're not going to be on board you might also look at the various marinas up the Tiber. These are very much boat warehouses and not somewhere you'd want to spend time on board (v limited facilities, no public transport) but secure and may well be cheaper at that time. Otherwise, I'd agree with rickf (where are you, we're in Ostia too?!) that Ostia is a good choice.

We did look at the Fiumicino canal but never got answers from anyone so didn't go there.

Mrnotming

Visit site
Rome

We've got to go home for a couple of weeks in August for a family wedding. We intend to be in the Rome area and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a safe berth for Rampage whilst we're away. Any help welcome!

Ostia Porto Turistico is wicked betimes in the winter due to its length and the spaces under the walkways let the swell in and out. Should be nice in season.
Fiumicino is also good for tying up rafted in the canal inshore of the two lifting bridges.Two yards there on the Port side going upstream.Michele's has changed hands now.Safer than Ostia as regards theft regular fishing port with nice folk , but Ostia was ok lately anyway.
Bus to Airport and to large shopping centre "Parc Leonardo".

JonJon

Visit site
Rome

Go up Fiumicino canal (under both bridges)last yard on the left called Gesti Nautica they are bound to have some space rafting up along side. Electricity and water, yard a bit gritty but Luca will see you alright he was promising to put in WiFi but this is Italy -all safe and secure and within spitting distance of the airport (not that you know that by what the taxi drivers charge you 20 euros is typical). Eurospin supermarket around the corner.
The one before it on the left is also good I believe called Constellation also a bit nearer town.

Mrnotming

Visit site
Ostia

Hi Duncan,

You may be able to join the comercially run yacht club on a temporary basis, good big screen tellys, 3/4 internet desks, pool tables, and an upmarket ambiance.I was able to join on a three day basis about €5. a day. refreshments were reasonably priced, and staff obliging.
(2003).The washing machines need tokens bought from the marina office, but they are massive and have cleaned upholostery covers and cordage for many, be discreet!
Good sailing and boating to all.

basba

Visit site
tecnomar

i'm living on board in Tecnomar. they're kind and very able to do any specific repair with good prices. and you're on the tevere river that is also very romantic...I'm also sure that you'd pay less than porto di roma. for gesti nautica, consider that it's not so good to liveaboard, it's more like a working yard and a little bit dirty, but of course you pay less than tecnomar
buon vento
basak