Manganese bronze bolts

G

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of 1/2" x 4" (or thereabouts) bolts with nuts and washers in manganese bronze? I need a pair to hold my sterntube in (well the boat's actually). I'm guessing that's what the originals were made of. Any thoughts / advice out there?

G

You might try the old Foulkes barge at Bursledon bridge(thats the other side of the A27 from Alladins but on the same bank of the Hamble about 1/4 mile up river). They keep a range of metric/imperial fasteners and it's pot luck.

G

Try Anglia Stainless Limited

Tel 01359 251414 and 251417 If you want their address then ask in this section best wishes Ray

G

Manganese bronze is (almost) brass

it contains zinc and corrodes underwater leaving a weak spongy copper. What you need is Silicon and/or Aluminium bronze

G

Thanks all of you.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what's happened to mine! They've turned into a powdery copper mess. Will Silicon or Aliminuim bronze be OK in electrical contact with the sterntube (Which I assume is brass)? This, in turn, is probably in electrical contact with the stainless shaft (via the two bearings).

G

which I hope are incontact with a shaft brush wired up to the anode.

David