Man overboard

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Re: Sobering, must fit crutch straps.

Still worrying is the effort required to get him back on board once they were back along side him.

Jeff.

RTB

Visit site
Thank you very much for that report. Sailed dinghys for years and always wore life jacket but being relatively new to the big boat game and not wanting to enter the "racing scene", I was thinking that I wouldn't worry about always wearing life jackets and / or all the rest.
You have made me think again.
Regards,

Ssgoodthis....intit?

G

Another help for rescued crew

Even in warmer waters, hypothermia is a risk. You don't sacrifice much weight or space carrying a few hot water bottles along with the foil blankets. Boil some water to put in the bottles, buck around the poor guy, and body temp will rise much faster.

Stingo

Visit site
Re: DOn\'t warm up too fast

If I recall a discussion with a medical type many years ago, he advised that warming up a hypothermic patient too quickly was dangerous because the blood on the inside of the body will not be at the same temp as the blood on the outside. This causes problems with your pump and makes it misbehave.

Someone medical, please confirm or correct this...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> - now showing at a computer near you

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

yip they were a while about it
shows that it is not easy

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site

X-treme, the boat Jon fell off, is an X99. The freeboard of these boats is small for their length, and they have a boarding ladder fitted as standard as part of the class rules. If it was this difficult to get the MOB back on board this boat, imagine what it would have been like from a cruising boat with a high freeboard like a Ben or a Moody. My X99 sits next to a Moody 36 and the difference in deck height is large!

Here's a diagram of an X99...

99_4.jpg

Adventures of the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site

Would it not have been better to use hot water to make warm drinks for the patient? Warm up from inside sounds better to me.

Jeff.

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
re-boarding your boat..

We've a stern ladder on Aeolus, but I'm fairly sure that I couldn't have used it once in his state. I can see us popping out for a swim round the boat when the summer has arrived to practice this. This raises questions which I have been putting to one side - I'll have to re-evaluate that.

Jeff.

nicho

Visit site
Re: Another help for rescued crew

Three years ago at 01.00 on New Years Day, we fished a fellow out of the Marina. He was virtually unconscious, and had been in the water for about 10 minutes. He was VERY cold, so in waiting for the ambulance to arrive (45 minutes), we took him into the shower block, stripped him off to his underwear and stuck him under a warm shower.

The paramedics told us NEVER to do that again - to warm someone up from a hypothermic state too quickly can cause a traumatic shock and kill him/her!!

So, our good deed could have ended in tragedy - evidently, you should wrap them in warm, dry clothes/blankets etc and let the patient thaw out gradually.

He did make a full recovery, and was released from hospital next day

Gunfleet

Visit site
Eskimo remedy leads to repeat performances

Apparently the Inuit believe getting a couple of girls to strip off and climb under the covers with him might help bring him round a bit quicker. Of course, that might lead to one or two rash fellows in the Solent tossing themselves off the side of boats in the hope of being rescued, if you see what I mean.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by JohnM on 07/02/2003 15:03 (server time).</FONT></P>

alex_rogers

Visit site

On my ships captains medical course, we were told that it is safest to warm someone passively i.e. take them out of the cold environment especially out of a draft, remove wet clothing and wrap in a dry sleeping bag or blanket. Once this is done, they will warm up fast enough.

If you re-warm too agressively, you run the risk of them going into shock as the blood starts to circulate again but ends up carrying the cold from the extremities of the body back to the core - the opposite of what was intended. Also hyperthermic patients should be treated very delicately to avoid shock and lifted horizontally if at all possible i.e. use a sling under their legs as well as under their shoulders.

Alex Rogers
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.YachtsAtSea.com> www.YachtsAtSea.com </A>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: re-boarding your boat..

stern ladder and cold imobile man and a running engine sound like bad combinations

it does go to show how you do it with a high freeboard
and a small crew
one assumes that witha full race crew there'd be some hefty fellas aboard
cannot see two women holding on to a sodden man for very long

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Metabarca

Visit site

I heard the same concerning hypothermia sufferers in the mountains: don't overheat. Get them dry, covered and climb in beside them using your own body warmth, not hot water bottles. Any drinks must be mildly warm, NOT hot.

nicho

Visit site
Re: Eskimo remedy leads to repeat performances

Strangly, SWMBO and lady friend came up with the same idea, but I felt that was going a bit too far at the time. You know, you'll do just so much for fellow man, but if they're not prepared to do it for me, why should anyone else get the benefit.........!!

G

Being new to boating, but being a diver I am confused why people do not wear drysuites when the sea temperature is very cold. When I dive I am as warm as can be with my wooly bear fleece, and wait in the water to be picked up, seems that when someone falls off a boat it is a major emergency, it does not need to be that way. Is the very simple answer to wear a dry suite if the weather is not too clever ( bit like poet that doesn't know it)? I for one will be wearing my drysuite in conditions that could compromise my life expectancy in the water e.g. low temperatures. I have read about people that go out on ribs alne without lifejackets on, it's great until the dreaded mob (yourself) happens, but imagine trying to clamber back into your rib over those slippy tubes, when you are wet and tired after swimming to the boat (if you had your killcord on). Does make you wonder sometimes.

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
Re: jon nuttall

me too, is he from West Kirby per chance?

<font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ukstaffords.com>http://www.ukstaffords.com</A>

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Interesting

I'm not totally convinced that publicising [on your club website] a serious incident that could have turned nasty is exactly brilliant PR.