Mainsail repair tape

Noboat1

Visit site
Hello. I have a couple of small tears (about 3 inches long) in my rather old mainsail. I hope to change it next year but for this season have been looking at using repair tape. A wise old friend advised to use heavy duty tarpaulin tape (like on lorries) as it's better/more robust than the sail stuff. Any thoughts anyone, or should I just stick to proper boat gear (and if so, any recommendations?)? Many thanks. Lewis

Refueler

Visit site
I am always reluctant to buy Marine Labelled items .... as too often they are products from 'other market' then labelled 'Marine'.

But on this - I 'stick' to Sail Repair tape. If the sail is old and its a temp job till sail replaced - then I choose lighter Spinnaker tape and apply a strip both sides. That then gives strength and seals both sides.

I do suggest rounding the corners of the strips ... to avoid sharp 90 deg corners which then tend to get lifted.

Tip for separating tape from backing .... use two pieces of painters tape ... one to repair tape - one to backing ... pull apart ..
Painters tape is just enough grab to do the job but easily removed when repair tape applied to sail.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
... Tip for separating tape from backing .... use two pieces of painters tape ... one to repair tape - one to backing ... pull apart ..
Painters tape is just enough grab to do the job but easily removed when repair tape applied to sail.
That's a good tip! I always struggle with VHB tape.

Re. sail repair tape, it might seem like thicker tapes (polyester and kevlar laminates) would be stronger, but the thinner spinnaker tape is more flexible and thus resists lifting/pealing better. The limiting factor is nearly always the adhesive anyway.

Without knowing anything about the tears, a sewn repair might be better ... or worse. pictures always help.

There are also adhesive repairs (G-flex, Dr. Sails, even polyurethane sealant), but that is a whole 'nuther topic. They can be better if the fabric is really poor and when a stronger repair is needed. Particularly applicable to laminate sails.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Are there no sail makers near you? In my area I can get a good quality repair done in 72 hours. That way it is not going to fail, or get worse at an inopportune moment. The hardest part being removing & refiting the sail. Plus getting my wallet out of my back pocket of course :cry:

Noboat1

Visit site
Excellent advice (tips too) - thank you all very much. I did ask at my local sail maker but he seems bogged down at the moment with a few big jobs before the season starts proper. It seems the spinnaker tape is the way forward though I will look into G-flex/Dr Sails. I also have a 'wallet' problem so though I've convinced myself of a new sail next year, I'll see what expense comes along this year first. My present one is looking a bit 'used' though so it is a priority.

Thanks all once again. Very much appreciated.

Lewis

Refueler

Visit site
Repair with tape ..... try get through this year ...

It's worth measuring your present sail and then scrolling through this list ... I just rec'd a very good 2nd hand genny from them for about 750 quid incl shipping ... cleaned, checked, repaired which so far I cannot find where !!!

www.exchangesails.co.uk

Very pleasant to deal with on phone and email.

Noboat1

Visit site
I did see these a while back (a few years) but had forgotten all about them. Thank you very much, I'll definitely get my measuring tape out and take a look. Thank you - very helpful.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Repair with tape ..... try get through this year ...

It's worth measuring your present sail and then scrolling through this list ... I just rec'd a very good 2nd hand genny from them for about 750 quid incl shipping ... cleaned, checked, repaired which so far I cannot find where !!!

www.exchangesails.co.uk

Very pleasant to deal with on phone and email.
Just be certain that you do not use the mob, that have had negative reports, on the forum, many times in the past.

Noboat1

Visit site
'The mob'? Gosh, thank you - I'll do my research. It does seem that Exchangesails would be the ones to go to. I shall start with a repair and make enquiries over the summer. A good s/h sail would be excellent - and leave me some cash for the other bits and pieces regularly being added to my list!

Thank you all, again, for your excellent help - and happy sailing!

Lewis