Maidenhead Mooring

dmst

Visit site
Just to make you all aware that the cost of mooring just below the Maidenhead Railway Bridge has now been increased to £12 for up to 24 hours mooring. A letter of complaint has gone to the local council. Just another example of robbing the boater blind and giving nothing in return. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

ianc1200

Visit site
Personally I wish they'd make the Abingdon moorings £12 a night; something to ensure the two nights I go there it's not full of NB's!

Most have very pleasant retired crews on an extended cruise round the network, but just sit there forever as it's free.

IanC

ms1

Visit site
stayed at Maidenhead before (not this year) - does anyone ever come and collect the mooring fee ?
Not heard to see why there is always space there - except that there are often loads of fishermen there.

Gavi

Visit site
Hi Dennis and welcome to the forum. It is nice to have someone new here. What are you up to on the river?

Chris_d

Visit site
Err... not much, long walk into town which is disappointing, the little cafe by the park does a good bacon sarnie in the morning and you can play mini golf. You could wander over the bridge at Boulters and go around the Island gardens, then get ripped off at that restaurant with moorings you can't stop at, I was brought up near Maidenhead so know it well, but it doesn't offer much for the boater.

BrendanS

Visit site
You've just summarised what I was about to type. Ex girlfriend lived there, and really not very much close to the bridge, and not a great deal in the town itself either.

Brayman

Visit site
We can never moor below the railway bridge unless we are rafted as it is too shallow. But then we get Maidenhead Rowing Club along asking us to move as we stick out so much and are likely to get rammed because they don't look where they are going and expect to be able to row along at about 5 metres out.
A couple of hotels by the river do decent food if a little expensive.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Hi Dennis a big welcome to you. I never stopped at M'head due to the shallow moorings. I did many years ago frequently stop at Skindles and go clubbing in there. That had to stop when Gruppenfurhrer Eileen of the South Stoke Division of the Waffen SS came to meet me there one night and saw that the place was stuffed with Crumpet.

Brayman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That had to stop when Gruppenfurhrer Eileen of the South Stoke Division of the Waffen SS came to meet me there one night and saw that the place was stuffed with Crumpet.

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't sound like the sort of mistake you would normally make!

nickcred

Visit site
Moored here quite a bit for lunch but never overnight so not seen anyone collect the mooring fees.

Thought 10.00 was expensive for the rotton posts and shallow depth

TrueBlue

Visit site
Yes, we actually stopped there in desperation a while ago - for a late supper. Was accosted by a nice young (?) lady waving a ticket book.

I said we would be moving off shortly - she said OK no charge, implying that mooring fee was for overnighters.

dmst

Visit site
Hi Gavi,
We have been boating on the Thames for 4 years now. We own a Seamaster 813 with a Thornycroft 1.8 diesel. We are based at Windor Marina. We love the River and our boat and all that goes with it to make it a really stress reducing get-away. I mentioned the mooring fee at Maidenhead as we have moored there several times and never been charged. I just think it's an example of how the local councils seem to try and extort money without giving anything in return.
What is your situation on the river?
We love the river above Oxford the only trouble is is getting up there often enough for long enough. Tried to get some temporary moorings further up from Windsor this year, but there does not seem to be any about apart from K&A.

steve157

Visit site
Those were the days, I remember going to Skindles with all the guys from work,at the time had a Carver 32 so moored it out the front. We were also moored at the marina after the bridge on the island but for the life of me I cant remember the name of the place.