Looking for the holy grail of East Coast Moorings... is it out there?

Murv

Visit site
We have plenty of moorings available at Queenborough as we had more trots laid last year, all deep water moorings.
In the summer the trot boat is free and runs 7 days/week from 10:00 to 22:00. Winter season it's free at weekends from 10:00 - 17:00 and bookable midweek for a small charge.
You also get the use of the scrubbing berth, just a concrete slab in the creek but very handy for a scrub and antifoul.
There is good access to just about anywhere, given the location and as said, the train station is a short walk away. There are also plenty of good pubs within a short walk and a couple of handy shops.
There is limited dinghy storage available on the all tide landing as well as a dinghy storage yard just up from the slipway which is a lot less convenient but plenty of folk use it.

More details here: Queenborough Harbour

ninjod

Visit site
I spent a weekend in Queenborough last year. The team that ran the trot boat service and allocated berthing were all 1st class however the fairly constant stream of jet skis along with a sprinkling of personal hovercrafts, all of which were travelling well beyond the speed limit, were enough to put me off spending any more time there than I had to.

A delightful spot when not being used by those chasing the Darwin Award..

frlrubett

Visit site
I have been a member of teh Medway Crusing Club for 8 years and have been very pleased by the move. good facilities, good people, cheap fees. We do have 24 hours access to our boats when the Commodore's hard is kept clear of mud to launch our dinghys. a year ago it was not clear and only had 4 hours either side of high tide beacuse of 2 feet of mud at the bottom of the hard since then we have had it dredged. There is a problem with jet skiers swamping dinghys and hogging the hard with their trailers but generally only around high tide.

Have emailed them to enquire but no reply, have tried again from a different email as sometimes my work emails go to junk.

I have done the sums and unless I am mistaken...

Member Fee - £170.00
Joining Fee - £75.00
Mooring position fee - £97.00
Conservation fee - £67.00
Dinghy £48.25
Winter - £134.97

Is this all you pay for the year? Is there not a monthly mooring fee also?

xyachtdave

Visit site
I spent a weekend in Queenborough last year. The team that ran the trot boat service and allocated berthing were all 1st class however the fairly constant stream of jet skis along with a sprinkling of personal hovercrafts, all of which were travelling well beyond the speed limit, were enough to put me off spending any more time there than I had to.

A delightful spot when not being used by those chasing the Darwin Award..

I tried to multi quote including Murv's comment but tech has failed me! Queenborough could be a good base for the OP and it's not always infested with Jetski's of course.

Jetski's can be a fair weather issue at weekends everywhere locally.

I'm sure somewhere there's a group of nice jetski pilots that use their craft sensibly and fair play to them, I wish them well. Could you possibly educate your comrades please?

Last year the same wakeboard/speed boat was driven in anger over quite a few weekends all over the Medway with little regard for others, which unfortunately seems to be the way with many aspects of modern living.

I was happily mucking around paddle boarding one afternoon when it deliberately swerved towards me trying to knock me off with their wash, with much cackling onboard. A couple of weeks later I was out for a solo sail in some decent breeze when I came across it in Gillingham Reach with its jetski friends appearing to have some engine problems and floating dead in the water.....

Surprisingly they were quite upset when I tacked away about 6 feet from them, sorry I was only following your example!

Who'd have guessed have a big boat bearing down on you at speed was unnerving?

seacomm

Visit site
Have emailed them to enquire but no reply, have tried again from a different email as sometimes my work emails go to junk.

Member Fee - £170.00
Joining Fee - £75.00
Dinghy £48.25
Winter - £134.97

Hi frlrubett

We have only received one message from you at 9:22 this morning which I have forwarded to our Membership Officer.
If you send a contact phone number to that address he will give you a ring and talk you through all the details.

The jet skis are not that bad most of them are friendly and helpful there are just a few who are complete *******

frlrubett

Visit site
Hi frlrubett

We have only received one message from you at 9:22 this morning which I have forwarded to our Membership Officer.
If you send a contact phone number to that address he will give you a ring and talk you through all the details.

The jet skis are not that bad most of them are friendly and helpful there are just a few who are complete *******

Ah great thanks, yes I shall do now. At least I know which email is good to contact you now, thanks.

Rafiki

Visit site
I am new to the area and currently keeping my 23" cruiser in Rochford, really like the yard but you struggle to get out outside 1-/1+ of high. Looking to relocate somewhere with the following criteria.. if possible at all.

East Coast pilotage area
-3/+3 tides
Swing mooring but would take pontoon if its cheap
Do not really need facilities
Near train station (walking distance preferred for visitors but not essential can take taxi/collect)
Good value!

Thanks!
Try the Orwell Yacht Club in Ipswich, adjacent to Fox's . Meets all your criteria - admittedly I wouldn't want to walk from the station with a week-end's sailing provisions, but it is certainly walkable, and there are buses.

frlrubett

Visit site
Try the Orwell Yacht Club in Ipswich, adjacent to Fox's . Meets all your criteria - admittedly I wouldn't want to walk from the station with a week-end's sailing provisions, but it is certainly walkable, and there are buses.

Thanks for this, I have emailed. Is there a phone number you know of?

Gargleblaster

Visit site

Member Fee - £170.00
Joining Fee - £75.00
Dinghy £48.25
Winter - £134.97

Yes, this is correct, but you will have to buy your mooring off another member who has vacated or have one layed. There is also maintenance of the mooring each year which can be between £120 and £300 depending on any new equipment required, but you can do it yourself or do it with a couple with other members. To lay your boat up in winter you would need to have a trolley and pay a square meterage, however haul out, launching and mast lowering etc are at no charge as long as you help.

I find overall it works out quite cheap in teh long run.