Lofrans Royal manual windlass

stevie69p

Visit site
I have a 30 foot yacht that I bought last year and it doesn't have a windlass fitted. I've put my back out again today hauling in the last 20 metres of chain and anchor, so have decided that I really could benefit from a windlass. I don't want an electric one though. I like to keep my boat as simple as possible. I have been researching the lofrans Royal which is a manual horizontal windlass with the option for an 8mm gypsy which would suit my chain. My only concern is that it looks to be a slow process to recover the chain. My last boat had a Simpson Lawrence Anchorman, which is a vertical windlass, and used a winch handle to operate which I found worked out ok. They aren't made any more though. Does anyone have experience of using the Lofrans, and is it ok or too slow? I have 50 metres of chain to recover.

Poignard

Visit site
I have a 30 foot yacht that I bought last year and it doesn't have a windlass fitted. I've put my back out again today hauling in the last 20 metres of chain and anchor, so have decided that I really could benefit from a windlass. I don't want an electric one though. I like to keep my boat as simple as possible. I have been researching the lofrans Royal which is a manual horizontal windlass with the option for an 8mm gypsy which would suit my chain. My only concern is that it looks to be a slow process to recover the chain. My last boat had a Simpson Lawrence Anchorman, which is a vertical windlass, and used a winch handle to operate which I found worked out ok. They aren't made any more though. Does anyone have experience of using the Lofrans, and is it ok or too slow? I have 50 metres of chain to recover.
I have one. It is slow, but powerful.

I have 65metres of 8mm chain.

I usually haul in the chain by hand and then use the windlass to break out the chain; if necessary.

What I really like is the ability to let the chain run out under control.

If you buy a Lofrans may I suggest you remove every screw and anoint it with Duralac ( or similar) before replacing it. This could save you having to drill out seized screws later.

Last edited:

stevie69p

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds as though it will be fine in practice. It sounds like I will be able to haul in the chain by hand while it feels fairly light, then transfer on to the gypsy for the remainder.

Kelpie

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds as though it will be fine in practice. It sounds like I will be able to haul in the chain by hand while it feels fairly light, then transfer on to the gypsy for the remainder.

I find it works the other way round- unless I have SWMBO nudging the boat forward on the throttle, I have to use the windlass to haul in up to the point that the anchor breaks out. And yes I know it's bad practise to use the windlass to pull the boat up to the anchor, I only ever do it when conditions are light. It's a 9t boat though so hand hauling isn't really an option, for me at least.
Once the anchor has broken out I'll haul the rest by hand, as that's when speed is required.

C08

Visit site
I had a Simpson Lawrence vertical axis windlass. It was quick to get up loose chain but as soon as any load comes on the chain it is very hard to shift as the winch type handle is only 1ft long and winding is not an easy motion and I was strong then, unlike now. I fitted a Lofrans Royale and have used it over 30 years tranferred from one boat to the next. It has been brilliant, yes the action despite the double action can be a bit slow so I like others just pull the chain in hand over hand and finish with the windlass. Invaluable if you are single handed to be able to winch in the boat aginst the wind/tide without the engine taking the load off.
I had the usual tightening of the bushes through minor surface corrosion between the bush and housing but these are very cheap and the job is easily done. The anodized finish overall is still pristine and mine looks good for another 30 years, unlike me!
The rope haulingfunction also works very well.

Rappey

Visit site
I have a simpson lawrence seatiger. Very powerful on one speed and quite fast at retrieving chain on the second speed.
These are hard to find nowadays and command a hefty price, but they seem to last forever.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have been looking for a vertical manual windlass used with a winch handle. Found a company called Muir in Australia who still make them.
Muir is a top.quality manufacturer but I have not looked at their manual vertical windlass. I had anothe make many years ago and sound the handle socket to be ridiculously shallow. Would be worth checking.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
I have 65metres of 8mm chain.

I usually haul in the chain by hand and then use the windlass to break out the chain; if necessary.

What I really like is the ability to let the chain run out under control.

If you buy a Lofrans may I suggest you remove every screw and anoint it with Duralac ( or similar) before replacing it. This could save you having to drill out seized screws later.
You took the words from my keyboard ?

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I fitted one of these to my last yacht nearly 20 years ago. Used it twice, once to try it out and the second time to break a stuck anchor. Apart from those occasions I stuck to hand hauling, the manual windlass incredibly slow and harder work than pulling manually. Nice looking ornament but bloody useless for lifting an anchor any distance.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I fitted one of these to my last yacht nearly 20 years ago. Used it twice, once to try it out and the second time to break a stuck anchor. Apart from those occasions I stuck to hand hauling, the manual windlass incredibly slow and harder work than pulling manually. Nice looking ornament but bloody useless for lifting an anchor any distance.

I've had no windlass for years, and love having the Lofrans on Avy-jJ now. Yes, it takes a while, but what's your rush?

- W

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
Why is it bad practice?

Hmmm now I think about it I'm just repeating what others have told me!
I think it's because the engine is a far better tool for moving the boat. The windlass is a mechanical lump that won't take kindly to abuse. Same reason why you don't use it to take the strain of the rode overnight... unless that's something I've made up too ??