local authority improvement grants for boats used as liveaboards

tcm

Visit site
I imagine that these will vary across the country so could you perhaps get some assistance from the citizen's advice bureau to get the forms filled in? I do a few hours there every week so i'm sure it will be no problem. Then, send them (freepost) to the local authority.

It would be a good idea to apply to the DHSS for a business startup grant so you get paid to run a limited company whereby the income is the grant for improvements, but the outgoings are your time invoices (on a sunday is best when income is not means tested) to the company for the work carried out so it's all vat-free as well as getting paid the dole and any tax credit due at the same time.

You should be able to get a mobility allowance as well, i'd imagine, plus probably a temporary housing allowance whilst the improvements to your main residence are taking place, or better wd be free mortgage interest and presumably free everything sodding else along with the free friggin improvements to your damn boat on the bullshit pretext of living in it though god only knows why that's free as well as the free flippin schooling you've had which should surely have helped you towards getting a proper job and then standing on your own two feet and actually contribute towards society.

But no! Obviously all it's taught you is that there's limitless loot and grant and funding for grasp grasp take take taking which has sprung from a stupid bleedin welfare state that has given you and others who adminster it the warped idea that it's ok to get and give free money for anything at all that they would quite fancy but can't actually afford. However , the same street-wise witlessness means you can't actually fill in the form. So of course *now* you have to ask on a free forum for advice from the rest of us who get taxed to flippin bits and pay for our boatfixing.

This will probably result in the form being sent into some other witless nerks who have no responsibilty other than to "increase government spending" which the UK's dimmest-ever Prime Minister will actually boast about, whereas in fact what's probably happened is that you'll have been paid twice over like with the tax credits, you flippin sponge-meister. Jeez! {explodes in anger}

Ahem, hope this helps.

BrendanS

Visit site
I need some work doing on my boat. Can I call in on you when you are in residence in CA to ask which forms to obtain and how to fill them in. I can pretend to liveaboard if this helps in the process?

I'm a bit worried about the reception I'd get though as you seem a little peeved

ashanta

Visit site
Theres been no response so I thought I would applaud TCM on an excellent front bench opposition repost. Hear hear!!!

tcm

Visit site
artistic licence again, i'm afraid. I completley lost it.

I have decided to dedicate my outburst to the memory of Tony Banks, a rubbish politician, useless parliamentarian, even worse diplomat - but easily one of the very finest public ranters of recent times.

BrendanS

Visit site
peter wayne ledson
Birthday 4/25
Occupation Carpenter
Lancashire , England
Boat name S.V.Olga
Boat make/model Gaff Ketch
Boat location (region) Lancashire , England

If any local authority improvement officers happen to be reading, the above is the information publicly provided. So I hope his application is true and faithfull etc. Though I doubt that intent to head abroad will make much difference to any application.

Wansworth

Visit site
Well if he is a paid up member,council tax,rates,income tax ete,etc just cause he resides on a boat should not disqualify him,boats are accepted as permanent addresses so if he has improvements he should apply,I would imagine the council would only run to pine decks or plywood(interior grade).I know of casea of extremly ,vugarly rich tax evaders(legal) that have their barns re thatched etc so fairs fair!

tcm

Visit site
Fair\'s fair

According to other posters he plan to depart for australia once the boat is fixed up, Whereas at least if a thatched roof gets fixed it stays in the uk, improves housing stock and so forth. Although i suppose in this example the balance might be termed "totally ridiculous's totally ridiculous"...

StevePayne

Visit site
Re: Fair\'s fair

#Board Rules

Registration as a User implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:

We do not tolerate:
2)abuse of forum users - debate strongly, but desist from the use of abusive and personal language.

{BTW I'm not the guy posting under a different ID}

I would think its a bit cheeky getting your boat done up by the local authority - but if thats what he's allowed to do then I'm not going to flame him for it.

-Theres a lot more waste and fiddles going on in this country than to get flustered over this. Chill.
Anyway - most of the people who own the barns can afford the work without needing a grant and whatever CAP they get as well. They can also get it done VAT free. - Now thats a list of things that you should get annoyed about.

Sorry for my rant - not a good first post /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

summerwind

Visit site
Re: Fair\'s fair

Well, that cleared out the cobwebs /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Even if he does get some bleeding heart to fill the forms in, the chances of his getting a local authority grant these days are three fifths of five eighths of f*** all.

Local authorities are allocated very little money for giving home improvement grants. What is allocated is not distributed lightly and there is significant competition for it. Any grant made will be seen in the light of improving the property, not giving the occupant a freebie. An occupant of a 1900 vintage slum dwelling might get a new door - but that would be pushing it! He might get a letter box.

tcm

Visit site
apology

hiya.

Altho i may have broken the letter of forum rules, i wd say in my defence that some posts are very much more complex than others. This was one of the complex ones.

Simple hurling of abuse is of course not acceptable. My post does dish out abuse but builds from a normal response into wild frustration at the system which is the focus of the question, starting helpfully and turning into a boiling raging rant. I also carefully used "soft" swear words like "blimmin", "flippin" and "sodding" to portray losing one's temper but at the same time avoid censorship and also to allow readers to feel comfortable with the text - it was "shareable" in way that real live abuse is not.

In this way the actual abuse is hopefully more amusing rather than actually offensive, its effect dramatically reduced and de-personalised. Eventually, although i have made the point, a reader would actually have been giggling at the persona giving the rant - at me, really.

I don't think people would be feeling same awkwardness as if I had truly been abusive where the normal style is to preserve one's own position and attempt to be truly hurtful to the target. By ranting with such near-uncontrolled volatility, I willfully and very obviously gave up any position of superiority to the point of having readers sniggering at me. Anyone remeber Mr Angry on afternoon radio, a fictional guy who called the program and went off on one every single time? In the same way as Mr Angry did, I devalued almost to worthlessness any actual real "abuse" in the normal sense off the word.

Apologies to all and especially the original poster if it didn't work that way.

ccscott49

Visit site
Straight for the jugular mate, go for it! I heartily agree with you! He should sod off to Oz immediately! By camel caravan for all I care!

Alastairdent

Visit site
Re: apology

You had me laughing.

I thought I was the most miserable git around - now I've found someone worse than me!

I used to moor near a bunch of people you would have loved. If you'd been there as well, I think we would have worked each other up into towing their boats away. Or worse.

Sammo

Visit site

This topic is absolutely amazing. Really it is, just look at all the hate and how much certain people here have rounded on the newbie. the joke of it all is that you all are talking so much crap about a simple application put forward in good faith, yet I can pretty much guarantee that non of you are involved in any of it.
I have been fortunate. I have not lived a privileged life, but I have not lived in poverty either, I don't know what it is like to live in a boat that`s falling to bits around me, not eat for days at a time, I know who my parents are, I have a job, I have a home, and I have friends. With all the crap that is being said on this topic and all the controversy surrounding a simple application for an improvement grant that is on this page, how could anyone, ANYONE that has read this reply not question the fact that it incites hate among people that don't even know each other. how can you hate someone because they don't have the same values or believe in what you believe in. I don't believe in any one religion, but I’m not atheist. I believe in Jesus Christ, I believe in Buddha, I believe in any and all religious figures because that is all they are, a figure for someone or something to believe in. if you have nothing else in life but faith, and that faith tells you not to worry and live the "righteous" path then all will be well. Isn’t that the basic principal in all religions? Do unto others and all that crap. it's not religion it's bleedin common sense. Obviously most of you don't have any or you would be able to realize your own ignorance on this whole situation. Maybe you should all take a day or two out of your busy little hate filled lives and read and research your religion a little bit more and maybe then you will realize that you are acting in the exact, EXACT opposite of what it says is the right path to perfect being. Namely, love thy fellow boat owner.
One of the things that has put the Great into Great Britain is our willingness to look after anyone less fortunate than ourselves, one way we do this is with grants, this enables us to educate and take care of anyone that wishes to live a normal, healthier, and more prosperous life. I have no problems living here and making £10 an hour rather than living anywhere else and making just enough for a loaf of bread so that my fellow "hard up" can STEAL it from me so he can feed his family.
To deride someone because he wants to apply for a grant is hitting below the belt in my opinion but that is all that this whole thread is about...opinion! if you don't like someone else’s actions you have every right as a human being (which we all are, just in case anyone lost sight of that) to express an opinion.
So next time you are going to write something down or post something that is a hate message or whatever it may be....think a bit about it and decide for yourself if it falls into the following of your religous deity, if it does then there is something wrong with the world. not your religion, the world.
Besides one day someone is going to use a nuke and then everyone that has one is going to use one and then we all go bye-bye and you can discuss this whole bleedin thing with the respectable deity in which you prayed to your whole life, if he or she or it exists that is.
Good luck to you Skipperscouse and your application and I hope that all works well for you in your life's pursuits.
As for the rest of you, life is a game....bend the rules, not each other.
Peace, love, happiness the three cardinal rules of life,
not conformity or respectability, LIFE.

……….
End of rant

tcm

Visit site
thread goes a bit bonkers

Ok, unclealbert, you win - that's miles better than my effort. I think i would have perhaps stuck in the word ",man." at the end of some of the sentences to make it a bit clearer that i was pretending to be utterly stoned, but otherwise - fab stuff.

Alastairdent

Visit site

UncleAlbert, you need a sense of proportion. The derision has been at the idea of getting public funding for a personal dream.

I've seen, and lived next to parasitical livaboards. Seen them refusing to pay council tax, objecting to planning restrictions on mooring structures. I've spent hours and days rescuing them from disasters when their ill-maintained boats couldn't cope with bad weather (or the owners simply didn't know how to moor their boats properly).

Its no fun at all being near such people, and unfortunately their behaviour attracts attention. The common impression of livaboards is then informed by the behaviour of these sort of people.

This sort of thing has resulted in landowners up here forming an agreement to act as a body to prevent any more moorings for boats. Even to the extent of one person writing it into his will!