Lobster pots: what happens and what do you do?

blueglass

Visit site
I thought you weren't going too rise to any more of my uninformed ranting. That resolution only lasted one post!

I see you keep your boat in Greece, so why you would think you know more about the lobster pot situation in UK waters than me is a mystery.

- W

your post was so far off the mark I just couldn't stop myself!
No mystery, I have also kept my boat (for 12 years) in N.Wales, Poole and several other places too. I also understood the thread to be about pot markers everywhere, not just UK.

Neil

Visit site
The thing is, there is a world of difference between Fisherman and some with whom I am acquainted through a friend. These are the guys who do a bit of potting, and casual labouring while waiting for the next dole cheque to come in. In this particular case, they also pulled my friends recreational pots (who then stopped marking them with anything except a half-submerged coke bottle marked on the GPS!!! - did use a sinking line, though).

I hadn't thought that it was a huge problem - I've only been caught a couple of times by floating polyprop pot ropes, and never to any detriment. However, the figures for 2009 surprised me:

The RNLI launched for 277 boats with fouled propellers in 2009, including commercial, fishing and leisure craft:

Large motorboat: 58

Yacht: 93

Small powerboat: 24

Source:http://www.pbo.co.uk/news/488147/lobster-pot-line-disables-yacht-off-point-lynas

Not so many in terms of the No. of sea miles undertaken in 2009, probably, but substantial nonetheless; these are RNLI launches, not fouling incidents

fisherman

Visit site
The thing is, there is a world of difference between Fisherman and some with whom I am acquainted through a friend. These are the guys who do a bit of potting, and casual labouring while waiting for the next dole cheque to come in. In this particular case, they also pulled my friends recreational pots (who then stopped marking them with anything except a half-submerged coke bottle marked on the GPS!!! - did use a sinking line, though).
Yes. I have to be licenced, cost 18k for my boat, then I have to get a shellfish permit, submit returns etc, now I have to renew all my safety certs, cost £600-ish, otherwise no insurance. The next bit is where we pay the MMO to police us...