Living on a boat in Portugal

DavidCostello

Visit site
Hey guys. Quick question. We are in the process of buying a boat (Sunseeker 38ft) and are trying to figure out what licensing we need for Portugal?

The intention is to mainly live on the boat in the marina and very occasional sailing. Any help here would be much appreciated!

Reactions: Obi

greeny

Visit site
Assuming you're British.
Put boat on SSR, Get yourself an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) from RYA as your boat license (some people do without, but for me it makes sense to get one in case you have any dealings with the local maritime police). You may need to do a course or just the exam depending on your experience. Insure the boat in the UK for use out here.
Then locally there's a lighting and buoyage tax to pay to the local capitanarie. Currently for foreign boats they are charging 70 euros per 6 months. But I believe this can be variable depending on which capitanerie you go to.

DavidCostello

Visit site
Assuming you're British.
Put boat on SSR, Get yourself an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) from RYA as your boat license (some people do without, but for me it makes sense to get one in case you have any dealings with the local maritime police). You may need to do a course or just the exam depending on your experience. Insure the boat in the UK for use out here.
Then locally there's a lighting and buoyage tax to pay to the local capitanarie. Currently for foreign boats they are charging 70 euros per 6 months. But I believe this can be variable depending on which capitanerie you go to.
One wrinkle is that I'm Irish! I was inquiring about the ICC and it's not available unfortunately.

Tranona

Visit site
Just to add, apart from the boat side, your ability to live on the boat (if you are UK citizen) is governed by the Schengen rules for visitors unless you gain residency in Portugal.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
One wrinkle is that I'm Irish! I was inquiring about the ICC and it's not available unfortunately.

Couple of questions which will have a bearing on any advice - Are you Irish living in Ireland or, living in UK? Where is the boat now and where registered?

As a general rule, Portuguese registration is avoided by most due to bureaucracy and restrictions on boat use, depending on category. However, if the boat is already on that flag, many of the registration problems don't apply, it's just change of ownership. Quite a few people now using Polish registry to avoid regulations. As well as the light dues mentioned above by @greeny there's an annual circulation tax based on engine size which is likely to be a hefty charge for a Sunseeker. Last time I heard, it was around €2/kw but may be more now.

I've never been asked for qualifications in 16 years there (UK registered) but to play safe, ICC can be had via a sailing school there.

st599

Visit site
I've never been asked for qualifications in 16 years there (UK registered) but to play safe, ICC can be had via a sailing school there.

Schools can't issue ICCs to nationals of other ICC issuing states unless they're resident and Portugal hasn't signed the UN treaty. So if the OP is Irish and lives in Portugal, the RYA can't issue him with one, the Portugese won't issue him with one. He'd need to use an Irish Sailing school to get it.

Graham376

Visit site
Schools can't issue ICCs to nationals of other ICC issuing states unless they're resident and Portugal hasn't signed the UN treaty. So if the OP is Irish and lives in Portugal, the RYA can't issue him with one, the Portugese won't issue him with one. He'd need to use an Irish Sailing school to get it.

There are local equivalent qualifications and we know one of the instructors quite well at Faro and often see him out with students practicing boat handling.

Tranona

Visit site
Of course, the ICC is available…..as per post #7, do the course in any sailing / powerboat school in Irl and get qualified….
It is not a matter of just doing the course There isn't actually a course only a recognition of a specific existing qualification or an assessment against the requirements of the ICC). The ICC is issued by governments to their citizens in accordance with the UN rules and the RYA who issues them on behalf of the UK government is limited to whom it can issue them - details on the RYA site. Don't think it includes Irish citizens.

Yngmar

Visit site
I didn't have any problems as German citizen getting the RYA to issue me an ICC following a Day Skipper course. They keep renewing it, too (although insist on sending it to the wrong address for some reason). Only problem is if I were to sail in Germany on a German flagged boat this may not be accepted by the German authorities. But everywhere outside no problem. Not that anyone is much interested. I showed it once in the first year of cruising in a French marina and never since. Perhaps we still looked too unseasoned then ?

Tranona

Visit site
I didn't have any problems as German citizen getting the RYA to issue me an ICC following a Day Skipper course. They keep renewing it, too (although insist on sending it to the wrong address for some reason). Only problem is if I were to sail in Germany on a German flagged boat this may not be accepted by the German authorities. But everywhere outside no problem. Not that anyone is much interested. I showed it once in the first year of cruising in a French marina and never since. Perhaps we still looked too unseasoned then ?
That is because you had Day Skipper, rather than just an assessment.

st599

Visit site
That is because you had Day Skipper, rather than just an assessment.
Doesn't matter if he's got a Day Skipper or not, it's down to residency. From the RYA Guidance note:

Unless the applicant is resident in the UK, the UK ICC issued by the RYA is not available to the nationals of the
following countries that have currently adopted Resolution No. 40: Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia,
Czechia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland and Ukraine. This list (correct at 01/10/2020) is subject to change.
France are not a signatory and don't legally recognise it.
2021-12-30%20Map%20ICC.jpg

billskip

Visit site
They will only send a renewal to the original address, if you change your address you have to supply proof of residence at new address. They say its something to do with fraud prevention.
You may find if you are unlucky and have a "happening " which necessitates your presentation of your ICC it will be void.

Graham376

Visit site
Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
There's no need to have an ICC if a local qualification is obtained in the country where the boat is. Folks here may be surprised that many countries have their own training schemes and don't give a toss about the RYA.
This maybe so, but then you have to comply with the restrictions of that country.
If the country accepts RYA ICC this can cover a much wider scope than a local one, for example RYA ICC up to 24 mtrs no engine size restrictions, Spanish regulations much more stringent .

nortada

Visit site
Rather than rely on contradictory posts here, I would suggest David (the OP) contacts Rob to find out what qualifications are needed and what courses (if necessary) are available - Contact US – Algarve Boat Courses.

Edit - There's some information here about boating in Portugal - Sailing and Boating in Portugal - Portugal - Angloinfo

Agree - rather than all of this guessing, cut to the chase.

main | RU Sailing

Rob, the principle, is a RYA Ocean Yachtmaster Instructor/Examiner. They operate out of Lagos. I have known Rob for 15 years and am very aware how good he is.

If contacted, he will be able to give chapter and verse on the RYA ICC in Portugal.

Pavalijo

Visit site
Light dues were 70e at Viana do Castelo.
However a circulation taxe was never mentioned - who issues that if not the Capitania?
Has anyone been asked to show proof of payment?

Graham376

Visit site
Light dues were 70e at Viana do Castelo.
However a circulation taxe was never mentioned - who issues that if not the Capitania?
Has anyone been asked to show proof of payment?

Circulation tax should be paid when the boat has been there for six consecutive months in a year, the year starting January 1st. To avoid it, those who are able to, head (or appear to) out of Portugal to Spain, although many Algarve marina dwellers just anchor in Ria Formosa or Guadiana for a week at the beginning of June. The tax should be paid at Finances, not Capitania. If circulation tax not paid, light dues payment now only lasts six months (used to be 12 months) so payable twice per year.

I've never been asked to pay circulation tax but I'm mooring based so not subject to walk around marina inspections. We've got away with paying light dues just once each year so far and the woman at Capitania has never asked for back payment.