LIVEABOARD

westbexi

Visit site
IM A YACHT MASTER WHO WORKS IN THE MARINE INDUSTRY AND I HAVE PERSWADED MY WIFE TO BE,THAT IN THIS PROPERTY BOOM LIVEABOARD IS NOT A CRAZY OPTION BUT..... I HAVE TO FIND A BOAT TO DO IT WITH AT THE RIGHT PRICE ie £15000 TOPS. DOSE ANY ONE HAVE I IDEAR WHAT IS A GOOD BOAT TO START WITH ?. SAIL BOAT IF PREPHERABLE. I HAVE SEEN A FIRST305 FOR SALE AT £15500. BUT... ITS IN THE B.V.I DOSE ANY ONE HAVE A IDEAR WHAT THE SHIPPING COSTS WOULD BE AS THE BOAT IS £35000 IN THE UK MARKET.
ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATFULLY RECIVED

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
If you are going to liveaboard you will need a bit more space than offered by the first - suggest you investigate 8m Catalac (9m would be better but would probably be outside your price range).

<hr width=100% size=1>

clyst

Visit site
You're a yacht master and you need to ask basic questions like that ???? You should be doing your school homework or mummy will send you to bed early and you won't be allowed to watch BluePeter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

westbexi

Visit site
clyst ,just becaus i have a done a bit of sailing doesn't mean i have lived on a boat full time and i was wanting some usefull advice on what people are living on in my price bracket.
what would you suggest........? smart arse

<hr width=100% size=1>

Will

Visit site
buy something old and wooden. you'll need to live on it to keep up with the maintenance, but at least it's mostly stuff you can do yourself, unlike osmosis treatment! competent wood butchers abound, and most can be persuaded to work for the price of a few pints when needs arise! Old wooden boats take time, not huge amounts of cash, and are fairly scary initially, which tends to keep prices low for all but pristine examples. I bought my own boat, a 38' 1930's motor sailor for 13k and live on it comfortably. I have spent an awful lot on it since, but it's been mostly gradual and not too painful.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I would suggest.......you do not call people a smart arse if you want advice! You'll certainly get none from me now!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bejasus

Visit site
To be fair Colin, I think cyst's reply to a newbie was a bit inflammatory. Even if it did seem a rather lame posting.

<hr width=100% size=1>
fire-dragon.gif

clyst

Visit site
Hi Hoo ,
Point taken regards "inflammatory remarks" but there seems to be a lot of "newbies" coming on the forums spamming .Place one obvious wind up and not to be seen again.
Take a look at the original post again------Yacht master , working in the marine industry and what crap spelling!!! CAPS aswell!!! All the makings of a windup. IMHO
If this is a genuine post I'll eat my hat . Its not my intention to put off new formites I just say make your first post plausable.

Regards

Terry

<hr width=100% size=1>

westbexi

Visit site
first i would like to thank you all for your comments. But i am very seirious about this. however im finding some comments very hard to take. what dose it mater how i ask? but more important that im asking a forum for advice . One thing is i was not exspecting such a clicky responce from some of you. we all start some where...
please keep your comments coming

<hr width=100% size=1>

clyst

Visit site
Maybe if you filled out your profile it may give your post some credibility .(its not mandatory of course)
When you claim to be a yacht master do you mean as in rya shore base or practical . Just out of interest do you have any endorsements? Just making conversation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

westbexi

Visit site
clyst, I have filled in my profile. I dont want to get off on a bad foot. How would your first post on this forum have sounded?.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
boy, you seem to have come in for a bit of stick! if you put your head above the parapet you'll get shot at from time to time, just ignore it!

i see from your profile that you were crossing from antigua at the same time as us. which boat were you on?

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
On Scuttlebutt today there is a thread about ex flotilla lead boats being sold off. The price looks to be right and buying one of these would avoid all the problems you are likely to have if you purchase outside the EU. Whether it's big enough is really more to do with your aspirations and comfort. If not travelling great distances across oceans I see no reason why two people could not live aboard a 30 footer. Plenty have travelled great distances in boats of this size but they presumably had few creature comforts.

<hr width=100% size=1>

temptress

gbr195t.com
HI,

I used to lived aboard a SIGMA 362 before my current boat, and actually we moved ashore last month (reluctantly) for reasons beyond our control.

Is you 'wife to be' a sailor? Have you both togeather and seperately spent any extended time onboard a boat? Living on board is very different to sailing and crusing for a few weeks.

I found that my SIGMA was fine when i was single but we needed more space when i got married. simply to have some 'private' space but people are different. You need to decide what sort of boat you want. Have you looked at a narrowboat?

On your boat from across the pond. I've been involved i shipping a couple of boats across the pond and i would allow GBP 10K to ship. Also remember that you will have to pay VAT, at 17.5%, once it gets here.

Give us a bit more info and we can help.

Good luck,

Kevin & Susie

<hr width=100% size=1>Temptress of Down
Southsea Marina
Hants
UK

goupil

Visit site
My first boat was a Jeanneau Sangria (26 feet) a bit cramped to live aboard but when you have big project and little money you must do choices.
Not an every day dream life in dampy Brittany...
Later my wife and I change for a Wauquiez Gladiateur (32 feet) a seaworthy cruiser and a nice cottage !

Comfort is something very personnal, for me the limit is that you must be able to stand inside the boat without having to bow down.

The 24 September 1989 at dawn we rush out of the boat for maternity !
10 months later we leave for West Indies with the Baby and the next 4 years were
wonderful : we achieved our dreams !

If you go for the First 305 be careful :
Survey + Shipping back home + Import duties + VAT (except if she's one of the first build in 1984) & (as long as I know BVI aren't part of EC).

<hr width=100% size=1>Brittany Yacht brokerage & assistance : PM

AndrewJ

Visit site
This may sound a bit outlandish, but I would imagine you could find someone to deliver a
boat from the BVI to the UK. Of course it wouldn't be until next spring and would need a
VERY good survey, which I would assume you would have done anyhow. I'm off to the
BVI for the winter (leaving in November). Contact me next spring and I'll see what I can
As far as liveaboard, I lived aboard for two years on a boat which I subsequenty sold.
the other boat didn't have a reefer (bought ice once every 3 days when in port).
No hot water heater (used a "sun-shower"), some of the more common "conveniences" you might
want to consider. For the price you have available, you might want to consider a houseboat with
a decent sized engine, but again, depends on what you want to do with it. (I've found that most
people, myself included, will buy a small boat to start with and then find out it's to small and move up, a normal progression,
but by the time they get to the bigger boat, they've spent so much buying the smaller ones and fixing
them up, they could have purchased the larger one, but it's a learning experience along the way)
Moral: if you have the experience already, go for the bigger boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>