Liveaboard residency in France

syneraida

syneraida.com
I was wondering if anyone could give any advice about applying for residency in France whilst living aboard? Are the French happy with you providing a marina address as your residential address?

lindsay

Visit site
With an obvious marina address you may have problems with banks, the municipality, medical, leases etc.if you want to opt for residency. Your aim is to not make it obvious, but to avoid of course anything illegal.

It helps if the name of your boat could, possibly, be confused with the name of a house, ie the classic english beach house of our grandparents in Littlehampton, Mon Repos.

After being a neighbour next to a french liveaboard for two winters, i learnt that he and a similar bunch of characters who all received their regular communications with the myriad of French administrative entities, solved the poblem by inserting, after the name, and that of the boat, "avenue du port". Another way is to insert "Bat: before the name of the yacht. This normally is short for batiment, building, put could be stretched to meaning bateau, boat. If questionned you say you meant "boat", bien sur. Avoid putting, say, Yacht or S/Y before the boats name.

Ie
M. John Brown
"Syneraida"
Avenue du Port
Capitainerie
BP 1234
Port de la Soigne.
05730 France
Key is to get in the 2 numbers, the BP of the capitainerie, and the area of France. The rest is fluff.
Good luck!

nauticalnomad

Visit site
I never ask if i can live in a marina as they will say no and constantly be on your case... However, move boat in and stay in board and slowly get post diverted. Change UK bank address to France then you have bank statement with address on it. Buy a Bagette if you can find a restaraunt or supermarket actually open.. And slowly evolve into a Frenchie..... Im living in Brittany and no one has said anything but define living? My boat and im constantly visiting it. I pay for moorings.

syneraida

syneraida.com
Thanks for the comments, it's interesting how so many marina operate the policy "if you ask the answer is NO", but if you quietly just do "It" then no one says anything and lets you get on with it. Apparently the marina we are in now does not allow livaboard whilst ashore, but we're ashore and living aboard and no one has said anything!

DownWest

Visit site
Several liveaboards in Rochefort. Improves security and keeps things tidier. I was asked by an absent owner to sort out some problems on his boat. Within a half hour a bloke came and entered in conversation, quite clearly he knew I wasn't the owner and wondered what I was doing. He lived two pontoons down.