Live Aboard in The Netherlands Help & Advice sought

Boatymacboat

Visit site
Hi Boatymacboat

Yes, it is a bit scary to be spending money on something you know little about! I'd been mulling it over for a year but after our experience in Friesland was so fabulous, I managed to persuade my husband it was a good idea to get a boat for retirement!

The marina is El Dorado, in Plasmolen near Nijmegen we we live. It's a full service marina and they have a lot of foreign boat owners who store their boats in sheds during the winter so that's why they have space in the water. However, they did say that we couldn't sleep on the boat and this may be a requirement of all marinas. If that is your intention, maybe one of the older, out of the way marinas will allow you to live on board during the winter.

Otherwise, spending the summer in Friesland without spending too much money on mooring is definitely possible. We used a mixture of marinas and free moorings during our week there. The Marrekrite organisation is responsible for maintaining the free moorings. You're expected to buy their flag which helps pay for their work. Some moorings had rubbish bins, black water pumps and toilets but most were just moorings. Many had a grassy area where it was possible to set up a tent too. The maximum you can stay in one mooring is 3 days but there are lots of them and we had no problem finding one in the busy period of August.

Now I'm busy researching dehumidifiers etc. as well as winterisation... roll on spring!

Denise
Excellent Dizzy thak you so much that will be a great help

Alicatt

Visit site
Hi Boatymacboat

Yes, it is a bit scary to be spending money on something you know little about! I'd been mulling it over for a year but after our experience in Friesland was so fabulous, I managed to persuade my husband it was a good idea to get a boat for retirement!

The marina is El Dorado, in Plasmolen near Nijmegen we we live. It's a full service marina and they have a lot of foreign boat owners who store their boats in sheds during the winter so that's why they have space in the water. However, they did say that we couldn't sleep on the boat and this may be a requirement of all marinas. If that is your intention, maybe one of the older, out of the way marinas will allow you to live on board during the winter.

Denise
You are not that far from us in Belgium either, we are just over the border in Eksel with our nearest haven at Leopoldsburg which has a spur coming off the Albert Kanal
El Dorado looks like a nice haven for cruising from too.
had a quick look at the trip planner ... 5 days by canal from here to there or a little over an hour by car :)
Kanalroute1.jpg

From here: CanalplanAC - Canal Route Planner