live aboard and cruising europe ideas

dabsolute470

www.coverdalegroup.co.uk
we are getting closer to moving full time on our pearl 43 motor boat and cruising off to holland and the heading south all inland or germany area looking for ideas
has anyone else done this on a motor boat and can your recommend routes please
we would hope to have at least a 2.5 k a month budget and want to stay away as long as possible
would this be possible and would anyone fancy a cruise in company next year ??
could a cruise in company be an idea and has anyone done it before
our draft would be a problem but there must be routes
no time limit just want to escape the rat race for as long as possible

any advise very welcome

thanks

heather and steve

PlanB

Visit site
I don't know your boat, but is the airdraft within inland waterway limits. We came round Biscay in our 435 for that very reason.

Sybarite

Visit site
Both draft and airdraft have relatively tight limitations on the Canal du Midi. Also the time of the year can affect water levels.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Just looked at some details for the Pearl 43. Twin engined fly bridge motor boat with largish engines. The air draft will be the major limitation for inland waterways: the boat won't fit the Canal du Midi for example but would be OK on the Dutch and German rivers and canals. You'll need the CEVNI endorsement on your ICC but that's a common requirement for most places.
I've no idea what your fuel consumption will be like but I'd suspect you'll have to devote quite a bit of your budget to covering it. You'll also need to budget for marina berths for much of your inland waterways travel, as free moorings are, I understand, not readily available especially on busy waterways.
Gresham of this parish runs a website here https://www.french-waterways.com/ on the French waterways which will give you some information.
Whatever you decide, have fun. We lived aboard our boat for six years or so before family pressures pulled us home again.

miket

Visit site
We considered similar when I retired in 2012.
Broom Ocean 38. 2 x Yanmar 250hp. Min' airdraft 3.2m.
Original plan was from Thames to LeHarvre. Up Seine to Paris and then through canals (East then North) finishing in Holland for the winter.
Final; Thames to South Holland then north to Naarden, just East of Amsterdam to a summer base in the big marina there. Then used the base for 3 further 4 week cruises in different areas of Holland, returning home for 2 weeks min' in between to do the usual admin'.
Worked brilliantly. Winter 2012/13 in heated shed in Holland and then back to UK after a further 5 weeks in Holland early summer 2013.
The main reason for not doing the original plan was the sheer number of locks. I also believe that a steel, single engined, lower boat is far better suited to inland Europe use but in Holland you have open areas where you can use speed if you wish.
Do it, wherever!

dabsolute470

www.coverdalegroup.co.uk
Just looked at some details for the Pearl 43. Twin engined fly bridge motor boat with largish engines. The air draft will be the major limitation for inland waterways: the boat won't fit the Canal du Midi for example but would be OK on the Dutch and German rivers and canals. You'll need the CEVNI endorsement on your ICC but that's a common requirement for most places.
I've no idea what your fuel consumption will be like but I'd suspect you'll have to devote quite a bit of your budget to covering it. You'll also need to budget for marina berths for much of your inland waterways travel, as free moorings are, I understand, not readily available especially on busy waterways.
Gresham of this parish runs a website here https://www.french-waterways.com/ on the French waterways which will give you some information.
Whatever you decide, have fun. We lived aboard our boat for six years or so before family pressures pulled us home again.

Many thanks for your advise and yes we have ruled out the french canals now looking at the germany route

dabsolute470

www.coverdalegroup.co.uk
We considered similar when I retired in 2012.
Broom Ocean 38. 2 x Yanmar 250hp. Min' airdraft 3.2m.
Original plan was from Thames to LeHarvre. Up Seine to Paris and then through canals (East then North) finishing in Holland for the winter.
Final; Thames to South Holland then north to Naarden, just East of Amsterdam to a summer base in the big marina there. Then used the base for 3 further 4 week cruises in different areas of Holland, returning home for 2 weeks min' in between to do the usual admin'.
Worked brilliantly. Winter 2012/13 in heated shed in Holland and then back to UK after a further 5 weeks in Holland early summer 2013.
The main reason for not doing the original plan was the sheer number of locks. I also believe that a steel, single engined, lower boat is far better suited to inland Europe use but in Holland you have open areas where you can use speed if you wish.
Do it, wherever!

sounds fab, like the heated shed... looking forward to next year with some luck we will be back in holland and stay longer than our normal 3 weeks
where are you now ??

PlanB

Visit site
Good to know you liked the sound of it - it really was the trip of a lifetime for us. En route we met Ortelius ,who posts on here and writes the occasional article for MBM/MBY. They ducked into the Seine and thence to Marseilles via the canals, not quite a 50/50 split but a few more French ports.

NBs

Visit site

Hi, Here's a link where the GB36 circulates widely within the EU. Left menu with more trips. I think GB36 bridge clearance is 3,9-4,0 m.

Whot is Pearls bridge clearance?

https://www.rumbalotte.net/westeuropa-binnengewaesser-2012/

These pages have immensely important information, it's a good idea to book a little time and browse through carefully, this is a good example. Huge amount of detail on the level of facts on charts, and so on.
https://www.rumbalotte.net/westeuropa-binnengewaesser-2012/routeninformation-und-allgemeines/
NBs

Last edited:

miket

Visit site
Changed boat to Haines 32os and based on Thames.
Will return to Holland but using charter boat next time.
Still a great area for cruising.
Look at over land transport if thinking of leaving boat for 12 months +.

dabsolute470

www.coverdalegroup.co.uk
NBs wow you guys are doing and have done the trips we are dreaming of doing...
we love our boat and have just about become liveaboards but now want to head to warmer climates in the winter
so far we cannot seem to plan any further than germany heading east
great reading your posts and good luck

heather and steve

dabsolute470

www.coverdalegroup.co.uk
well we have been living aboard just over 5 weeks now and it's the best thing we have done ....

not sure about our trips yet due to business and health issues but next year all should be sorted

why didn't we do this years ago, we used to spend every weekend on her but now house is rented and all good