Lightweight Aluminium RIB recommendations?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
My Wetline 265 Airdeck is expiring after 8 years in the med (Logos going sticky and glue failing on floor). Looking to replace it with a lightweight aluminium RIB, 2.7m and retain my 6hp Mercury outboard. Any recommendations, horror stories?

Can't go bigger than 2.7m as it needs to lie upside down on the foredeck while still allowing access to the anchor locker.

Any experiences gratefully received.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Some people have experienced severe corrosion on their ali RIBS with 2 to 3 years. No obvious common denominator. In some cases it might be associated with the glue used on the floor to tube seam.

AB and Highfield dinks were the ones I saw.

It was enough to put me off and I went for an Aruba which was a little lighter than the similar size AB.

I have been very happy with my Aruba and would buy another.

RupertW

Visit site
We got an AB 8UL 18 months ago and it’s been mostly great compared to our previous 3m Caribe which was fibreglass hulled.

Upsides:
Feels ludicrously light hoisting to and from foredeck
Torqeedo drives it faster at same revs
5hp Honda which we only use occasionally gets it up on the plane with two people which the old rib never got remotely near
Seat much better designed

Downsides:
Feels tippy when you get into it compared to the rock steadiness of the heavy bigger Caribe
Bit nervous about it being nickable after never worrying before

affinite

Visit site
I've had an Excel V270 for two years in the Med and Im very happy with it.
Planes nicely with 2 up
(It wouldnt plane 2-up with my old 6hp Suzuki but I think the engine was the problem and it goes very nicely with the replacement 9.8hp engine)
Early days but seems well made (In China of course)

Visit site
I've not seen anything that comes close to the 3D tender 2.7 Aluminium rib. It's total weight including oars, seat etc.. is just 28kg.

It also has 4 inflatable chambers, where as some of the competition only have two.

The cons are from what i've heard the company doesn't care much about after sales support. 2) it's bloody expensive, (for the hypalon version) but then I suppose they all are.

To keep weight down it's not double skinned either, that means if you get water inside, your feet get wet.

SVB must be having a joke with the one that linked to earlier in the thread. 2.65m and weighs 72.85 kg

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Thanks for the links and advice .... didn't think corrosion was a problem on Alu RIBs :eek: , my neighbour has a Zar Mini Rib 8 which looks very well used but still going strong. Will need to do a bit more research, perhaps powder coating is the way to go .... clearly need a quality manufacturer.

Not too worried about PVC over Hypalon, mine is dying due to failing glue on the airdeck floor, but the rest is fine, holds air well .... real shame 'cos it planes nicely and was only 450 quid new ... it's even survived the razor sharp Croatian coastline with no punctures so far.

BigJoe

Visit site
Visit site

That is still very heavy for a 2.4m dinghy.

My inflatable dinghy is heavy (for an inflatable) at 30kg, but it's 2.6m, uses 42cm tubes and is 1.6m wide.

The Highfield ultra-lite 260 is 31kg, but that doesn't include the seat and the oars which will add another 2-3kg.

I just went to check on Rib-eye, but it seems they have completely stopped making anything less than 5m.