lightning and a Clvic Wtson ketch

G

I own a Colvic Watson 28.5 ft ketch. Has anyone any advice please? Is it is advisable to fit a 'lightning rod'&c to the mast. If so Main or Mizzen. Do I need to fit a seperate conductor to the mast or is the aluminium mastsufficient. Are those conductors like a drummers "whisk" of any value?

G

Lightening 'rods' as discovered by Ben Franklin, have the ability to send tingles down your kite flying arm and through your boat.

There is much written on lightening protection and some people recommend a length of chain over the side from a shroud when the sky starts to light up.

The disadvantage of this is that you are then providing a path to earth which is exactly what lightening is looking for.

The more technical alternative is an 'ion dissapator'. These are shaped like either a bottle brush cleaner or an egg whisk. The essential ingredient is the multitude of tiny metal spikes which apparently cause an affect which prevents lightening being attracted your way.

There is no wiring on these items, they just rivet to the top of your mast.

Some ketches have them on both masts. I have mine at the top of my main mast.

As for whether it works...who knows! But for the price and the ten minutes they take to fit surely its worth making the effort. Lightening damage, even indirect, is costly and so a little preventative science is worth it.

G

I recall an article in PBO or YM a few months ago which advocated putting the ion dissipator at the highest point. Apparently it works by putting a downwards facing cone of protection around the vessel. Providing your mizzen is within it you should be OK.