Lightest Outboard at 4/5/6hp

mattnj

www.red-data.co.uk
I am looking for a 2nd hand 2 stroke outboard, with the most HP at the lowest weight, something 4/5/6hp which make/model has the best power/weight available, googling has failed me :(

has to be a 2 stroke.

OGITD

Visit site
Johnson

According to many it’s the Johnson 2~ 4hp.

It even has its very own sprung handle contained within the leg, which allows you to lift it with two fingers.

Below that it's the Yamaha 2B 2~ 2hp.... but I know you said 4 - 6hp.

Nigel_Ward

Visit site
If you are talking about the 4/5/6 (single cylinder type) with full forward neutral and reverse gears I would say they are all about 19-20kgs.

I think lighter 4hp engines are usually based on smaller 3.3hp but do not have full gears.

Last edited:

landlockedpirate

Visit site
The lightest 4/5hp single cylinder with twist grip throttle and gears is the Yamaha/Mariner at 17kg.

The 4/5hp mercury isnt far behind at 20kg.

The 3.3hp Mercury/Mariner are 13kg.

In most makes the 6hp is a big jump and are usually twins with a weight of 27-37 kg.

TSB240

Visit site
Found the 4hp jonny/rude is as light as you can get with reliabilty and smooth running as is the smallest twin made at that output. Only has clutch and FWD, need to spin through 180 for reverse.

Not many around now but they do come up on flea bay.

VicS

Visit site
Found the 4hp jonny/rude is as light as you can get with reliabilty and smooth running as is the smallest twin made at that output. Only has clutch and FWD, need to spin through 180 for reverse
.The 4 hp Johnnyrudes without reverse gear weighed in at around 15.1 to 16.4 kg depending upon shaft length and with or without integral fuel tanks.

Deluxe versions with reverse much heavier ( having the same or similar cowling, leg and gearbox as the 5, 6 and 8 hp models ) at 22.7 to 24.5 kg

FergusM

Visit site
When I lived in Sweden in the 80s, I had a wooden Folkboat, which came with a Johnson 6 with FNR, on a swinging bracket. Reverse was pathetic, and it was a great lumpen thing. When it died, I replaced it with a Johnson 4. Far better. I could sit on the afterdeck and spin the engine, so marina maneouvres were much less hair-raising. It was also very much lighter, so I could easily lift it off by myself.

Lovely engine, economical, smooth and quiet.

Seajet

Visit site
The Yamaha 3.5hp 'Malta' engine had a poor reputation last I heard, basically a large tender engine.

I had a Yamaha 4hp 2 stroke for years, excellent.

I upgraded to a Mariner 5hp 2-stroke a few years ago, perfect for my boat ( Anderson 22 ) and I believe as light as anything going.

I have happily motored across the Channel in calms, normal consumption is 2.5 hours at 80% throttle ( around 5 knots ) for a gallon of fuel.

In case you should buy one of these engines without a charging coil, these are available as simple retro-fit kits, though you'd need a flywheel 'puller'.

Seajet

Visit site
The Malta had a poor rep' with my local dealer, but that was when first out, maybe I'm letting the years fly by.

I'd still think a Yamaha or Mariner 5 would be the best you'll get, if a light 2-2.5 is not enough.

I use a 2hp Yamaha on my smaller 2.4 dinghy, a brilliant little engine, it's been immersed at least 3 times but with rapid attention to bearings etc is still reliable.

I fitted a stainless lifting handle into the top casing; as warranty will not be an issue with a secondhand 2-stroke, something like that might be very useful with a 4-5 hp, would need secure mounting of course but even more useful.

Although the Mariner 5 is about the best one will get re. weight per hp, I still wouldn't fancy lifting one on & off too regularly...

Also, this may or may not suit for tender use, but I removed the internal tank on my 5, mainly to avoid possible leaks when stowing the engine in a locker, but also to save weight.

The internal tank itself weighs next to nothing, but recently I had to lift an otherwise identical engine, and with fuel in the internal tank it was surprising how noticably heavier it was.

charles_reed

Visit site
Im after a tender engine, should have said, for the 3.3m tender, leightweight as it has to be lifted on the transome each time
Lightest tender engine is the Tohasu/Mercury/Mariner 3.5/3.3, 2-stroke.

As soon as you go up to a twin there's a step-change in weight, which makes the bigger engines very difficult to stow and to position on a dinghy transom.