Liferaft service-Ragusa

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Hi, last year a group of us had our life rafts collected, serviced and returned. I'll try and find out who it was through as person who organised it isn't here this year. Will PM when I get details for you.

fliti

Visit site
Thanks all. The reason to service the raft is to carry it on the light aircraft that I intend to fly to Malta so it would be preferable to get it serviced before flying, if I can find someone who does it here...what was the feedback on Alex, please?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks all. The reason to service the raft is to carry it on the light aircraft that I intend to fly to Malta so it would be preferable to get it serviced before flying, if I can find someone who does it here...what was the feedback on Alex, please?

It seems luckly no one had to used their life raft yea , so no feed back ,:) .
The two people we knew that used him was happy with his service .,

RobbieW

Visit site
It seems luckly no one had to used their life raft yea , so no feed back ,:) .
The two people we knew that used him was happy with his service .,

Dunno if I'm one of those, Vic. I used Alex a couple of years ago when I was in Licata, though dropped off and picked up in MdR. I've had no reason to test the raft :), the only comment I can make is that the duct tape used to seal the container has rotted in the sun over the last two years. The raft is supposed to be hermetically sealed inside the container so not a huge problem but I dont think, in retrospect, that duct tape is the right thing for the job.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Dunno if I'm one of those, Vic. I used Alex a couple of years ago when I was in Licata, though dropped off and picked up in MdR. I've had no reason to test the raft :), the only comment I can make is that the duct tape used to seal the container has rotted in the sun over the last two years. The raft is supposed to be hermetically sealed inside the container so not a huge problem but I dont think, in retrospect, that duct tape is the right thing for the job.
Had you down has one Robbie the other Steve , but his some where In The ocean now .
I was thinking of getting him to service mine so I keep the duct tape in mind if I do.

crisjones

Visit site
When we were in Ragusa (3 yrs ago) a bunch of liferafts were also sent to Malta for service, they were collected and returned by the guy from Malta using the daily ferry service. Everything seemed to work well.

A rigger also came across from Malta and he was praised by all who used him in the marina - not sure if it was the same guy for both but Roger was there at the same time so it probably was.

However as said above you always hope never to have to test your liferaft in anger and it is very likely that no rafts from Ragusa have been tested since the service so no way of knowing how good the job was (same can be said for any liferaft service). Our raft is a Plastimo Cruiser, now 5 yrs old and overdue for service but the sealing tape around the container is still in good condition and certainly not rotted despite 5yrs in our cockpit exposed to the Med sun. I would be concerned about a service company that cannot be bothered to use the correct sealing tape - apart from anything else it almost certainly must be a requirement for them to use the proper tape in order to get their certification from the various manufacturers that give them "Service Agency" status.

I accept that using duct tape probably has no influence on the function of the raft when required but it does make you question if corners have been cut in the rest of the job????

multihullsailor6

Visit site
A rigger also came across from Malta and he was praised by all who used him in the marina - not sure if it was the same guy for both but Roger was there at the same time so it probably was.

No, the rigget who came across from Malta that time was Nick/Nicky.

When I needed rigging service in Malta I finally used Alex D'Agata, found him to be more responsive to my technical needs.