Lewmar genoa car sheave/upstand replacement

mullet

Visit site
The sheaves on my genoa cars are brittle, chipped and not far from being on their last legs. The spindles through the sheaves seems to be peened, so it appears that the easiest replacement would be with a new complete stirrup/upstand. Does anyone know where I might get a similar/identical/compatible pair? Lewmar or another manufacturer. I've drawn a blank so far.

If I don't find anything that would be an easy swap then I plan to cut the spindles and replace them and the sheave - but if anyone has a better suggestion I'd be delighted to hear it.

Attachments

• IMG_4209.jpg
    IMG_4209.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 69

Boathook

Visit site
In the past I have purchased sheaves to fit in the fitting and replaced the spindle with a machine bolt with nylon. Not the smartest of finishes but highly practicable from my point of view. Sometimes it means drilling out the fitting a bit for the bolt or making a bush for the sheave to reduce the hole diameter though.

mullet

Visit site
In the past I have purchased sheaves to fit in the fitting and replaced the spindle with a machine bolt with nylon. Not the smartest of finishes but highly practicable from my point of view. Sometimes it means drilling out the fitting a bit for the bolt or making a bush for the sheave to reduce the hole diameter though.
Thanks for your reply. I suspect I may end up going down this route. If none of the spindles from the newer Lewmar models will fit I was considering a clevis pin with washer and split pin. I suppose I could machine something but it scarcely seems worth it if something easier off-the-peg would do the trick...

Bodach na mara

Visit site
It was the upstand word in the heading that caught my eye. That is the bit that keeps the block near upright and on one of mine the upstand has cracked and bits have fallen off. They seem to be made of tough rubber and I was hoping to learn where to get them and how to replace them. Unfortunately I can't visit the boat to take a photo and attach it.

mullet

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I know I can replace the whole car - but everything except the sheaves is fine, so I’d prefer to repair/replace just those unless it proves impossible or uneconomical. Repair, reuse recycle etc.

mullet

Visit site
It was the upstand word in the heading that caught my eye. That is the bit that keeps the block near upright and on one of mine the upstand has cracked and bits have fallen off. They seem to be made of tough rubber and I was hoping to learn where to get them and how to replace them. Unfortunately I can't visit the boat to take a photo and attach it.
Mine doesn’t have any rubber parts - but I’m sure I’ve seen some whilst searching for what I do need. I can’t find them again (the Lewmar website isn’t terribly easy to navigate) but I’ll pop a link up if I do spot them.

mullet

Visit site
Have a chat with Andy Salomonson (Yacht Parts, Plymouth)
I had a helpful reply from Andy. He told me that the right parts are no longer available and suggested getting some machined. In the meantime, I found this as an example; I'll have a hunt around for any parts that might fit with minor adjustment, and if not will probably try to machine something similar.

Boathook

Visit site
I had a helpful reply from Andy. He told me that the right parts are no longer available and suggested getting some machined. In the meantime, I found this as an example; I'll have a hunt around for any parts that might fit with minor adjustment, and if not will probably try to machine something similar.

From the link you provided this is the type of repair I would do / have done as well.
1612874651420.png

PlankWalker

Visit site
It was the upstand word in the heading that caught my eye. That is the bit that keeps the block near upright and on one of mine the upstand has cracked and bits have fallen off. They seem to be made of tough rubber and I was hoping to learn where to get them and how to replace them. Unfortunately I can't visit the boat to take a photo and attach it

With regard to these little rubber buffers that hold the car near upright.
I replaced mine using O ring cord stuck in with super glue,
I think it was 8mm diameter from eBay,
buy it by the meter, got enough to last me out.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
It was the upstand word in the heading that caught my eye. That is the bit that keeps the block near upright and on one of mine the upstand has cracked and bits have fallen off. They seem to be made of tough rubber and I was hoping to learn where to get them and how to replace them. Unfortunately I can't visit the boat to take a photo and attach it

With regard to these little rubber buffers that hold the car near upright.
I replaced mine using O ring cord stuck in with super glue,
I think it was 8mm diameter from eBay,
buy it by the meter, got enough to last me out.
The black concertina rubber things are Lewmar part number 15900479 Upstand rubber.JPG
They are quite easy to replace. I am attaching a how to do it guide

TudorSailor

Attachments

• Replacing upstand rubber.pdf
    339.3 KB · Views: 17

Globesailor

Visit site
The sheaves on my genoa cars are brittle, chipped and not far from being on their last legs. The spindles through the sheaves seems to be peened, so it appears that the easiest replacement would be with a new complete stirrup/upstand. Does anyone know where I might get a similar/identical/compatible pair? Lewmar or another manufacturer. I've drawn a blank so far.

If I don't find anything that would be an easy swap then I plan to cut the spindles and replace them and the sheave - but if anyone has a better suggestion I'd be delighted to hear it.

Hi Mullet,
Did you ever solve this problem?
I have exactly the same old Lewmar cars on my 1982 contessa and just the Sheaves are worn out. I’ve searched everywhere and I can't find the right size replacement sheave.
Any pointers would be much appreciated.

mullet

Visit site
I’ve been living with the chipped sheaves, fixing has become a job for next winter. I expect I’ll turn some myself in due course.

Globesailor

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. If you do turn your own…. (I have no idea how to do that). Turn some extra ones and I will gladly pay for some. Seems a shame to throw the cars aways as they are so robust.

mullet

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. If you do turn your own…. (I have no idea how to do that). Turn some extra ones and I will gladly pay for some. Seems a shame to throw the cars aways as they are so robust.
I'm about to embark on making some from delrin rod. Send me a PM if you'd like some to be put in the production schedule for you. ;)