Lefkas Canal......

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Came through the canal today from the north. There's a lot of work going on in the entrance basin but it shouldn't affect transiting boats. However, the spit has crept eastwards somewhat and seems to shelve rather than have the sharp drop off of previous years. So instead of keeping close to the spit and well away from the port buoys, I'd suggest a wider approach, somewhat closer to the single remaining port buoy. When we came through there was a jack up platform putting in shuttering underneath the walls of the castle: again not a hazard but it could be as the work progresses.

Dredging is still taking place in the channel south of the old rubbish tip. There are two dredgers at work with attendant spoil barges and tug boats, both working in the channel. At present both are working the island side of the channel.

The northern dredger has a number of what turned out to be surveying poles off to the island side: these look as if they could mark a safe passage. They don't! Safe passage is to the mainland side and on closer inspection is marked by small white buoys to the mainland side and small red buoys to the island side. Difficult to spot. The southern dredger thankfully has no poles and it is clear that the safe passage is to the mainland side.

Clearly, both dredgers will move as the project progresses but it may not always be clear where the safe passage is, so take care.

tedgorton

Visit site
thanks for the update. makes me quite nervous, given the grounding I suffered 2 years ago, motoring northward whilst keeping well clear of the spit and (I thought) safely outside the red buoys near the Venetian fort. 2m draught iron keel hit what felt like blocks of stone, they say everyone runs aground at least once so I hope that was my "once". Fun it wasn't.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
tedgorton;53069 ) they say everyone runs aground at least once so I hope that was my "once". Fun it wasn't.[/QUOTE said:
Hey you want to sails the. East coast , Orwell , back waters , Deb , there not a weekend that some one a ground lucky it just thick sticky mud :)

tedgorton

Visit site
Thanks, I have now been through with similar results, going back through later today. They seem to have been dredging but does anyone know what the huge pile of rock on the spit is going to be?

B&M

Visit site
One of the chandlers told me last year that it was being built so that one of the large Italian ferries would stop there. We will wait and see. He also told me that it was planned that the floating bridge would go and a tunnel built.