LED tricolour

eddystone

Visit site
I would like to have an LED tricolour but the bulb I got from boat lamps apparently didn’t fit. Alternative is to replace with new unit - there seems to be question over reliability of NASA marine unit - it has to be fit or forget
Any alternatives?

Dunx

Visit site
Expensive but I’ve used Hella tricolour and anchor light on last two boats. I used an aqua signal on the one before that. No problem with either units.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
. . . the bulb I got from boat lamps apparently didn’t fit. . . .

This has me puzzled. Boatlamps and any other such firm will have a range of such bulbs - you need to get the one specific for whatever make of existing tri-colour you have, because even where the they use the same type of bulb socket (most are the same), the different makes mount them in different orientations in the housing, which doesn't matter for the 360 degrees of (full spectrum) white of the incandescent bulbs, but certainly does for the sectored LED bulbs as because of the limited colour range of each of the red, green and white these must align with the respective coloured lenses.

I luckily spotted before I'd put the mast back up that the LED bulb I'd been sold by a major chandler for my specific masthead fitting make (and its bulb socket orientation) had been mislabelled, so that the colours of the bulb were 180 degrees out of alignment with the lens (and regulations). The mast had to go back with the old incandescent bulb put back in.

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I would like to have an LED tricolour but the bulb I got from boat lamps apparently didn’t fit. Alternative is to replace with new unit - there seems to be question over reliability of NASA marine unit - it has to be fit or forget
Any alternatives?
Did you order the correct bulb?

Like @rodgerthebodger I have a Aquasignal combined Tri/anchor lamp and the replacement LEDs from Boatlamps just worked.

Martin_J

Visit site
What exactly is this you've heard about NASA reliability..? I just found this photo showing my NASA at the masthead and details show it was taken in 2011... It's done a couple of Fastnet races and 1000s miles since then...

Screenshot_20230630-101505_OneDrive.jpg

It was working two weeks ago when I last checked..

Edit: Just looking at that photo again and realise that I have since replaced the Wind MHU, the genoa, the standing rigging and the VHF antenna, but still have the same Tricolour!

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
What exactly is this you've heard about NASA reliability..? .

It was working two weeks ago when I last checked..

I purchased NASA tri coour and anchor mast head lights in 2009 last time I was in the UK

On my return I replaced my Aquasignal with the NSAS and within a month without use they failed.

I tried to replace some the of LEDs as it would be too costly to return to NASA but again the replaced LEDs failed

NSAS wanted a extra sum of money so I refitted the aquasignal with a LED bulb from china ant it has worked ever since

Praxinoscope

Visit site
About 20 years ago I fitted a Lopolight LED unit, after 10 about years it became unreliable, it would work when it felt like it but not all the time, I replaced it with a NASA tri-colour/all round white unit and to date it has worked perfectly,
I like the way NASA have adopted a reverse voltage system to operate either the nav or all round, it saves on wiring and there is no way both can be turned on at once.

Martin_J

Visit site
You've also got to be aware that masthead light fittings designed for incandescent bulbs are expecting a bulb with a single vertical filament to provide the light, thus giving the correct cutoff angles. Aqua Signal state that in their compliance documentation.

Screenshot_20230630-103438_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230630-103710_Drive.jpg

Is the cut off angle really the same if a wider light source such as a LED is fitted?

Boatlamps do sell some with segment shielding.... but I'd still ask myself how well this shielding works if the led light surfaces are still visible from a wider angle..

Even in their photo showing the leds disappearing from view, the camera is at quite an angle past the segment shield..

Screenshot_20230630-102953_Samsung Internet.jpg

Forgive me if I'm wrong. Maybe they have certified them by now for use in Aquasignal (and other fittings designed for incandescent bulbs)..

If the cut off angles are all wrong (or vague), then that owner is never aware.. They look at other boats where they see the certainty of either red or white or green (but never a mix) and will wrongly assume the other vessel is seeing the same of their tricolour.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
The bulb you posted looks like an offset pin as is mine BAY15d

BAY15d LED Light Bulb SBC with Warm White Light

You ned to check the pin location in the base you have
With BAY15D sectored leds (white green red) there are different alignments between the two spigots and the boat axis, IIRC Hella and AquaSignal are at 90° so the bulb for one model would appear at 90° on the other socket.
Not sure which type of bulb (360° white vs sectored) the OP has bought.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
With BAY15D sectored leds (white green red) there are different alignments between the two spigots and the boat axis, IIRC Hella and AquaSignal are at 90° so the bulb for one model would appear at 90° on the other socket.
Not sure which type of bulb (360° white vs sectored) the OP has bought.

My tri colour lamp is all warm white and display the red and green setors OK

I also have the cool white in my anchor. stern and steaming lights but if I put a cool white in my tri of bi colour nav lights the colours are wrong the green looks blue

My lamps came from china via E Bay

Some of the sectors lamps came with an adjustable socket to allow proper alignment

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
You've also got to be aware that masthead light fittings designed for incandescent bulbs are expecting a bulb with a single vertical filament to provide the light, thus giving the correct cutoff angles. Aqua Signal state that in their compliance documentation.

Forgive me if I'm wrong. Maybe they have certified them by now for use in Aquasignal (and other fittings designed for incandescent bulbs).
Have you asked your insurance company? Or was Aqua Signal just covering their arses?

Martin_J

Visit site
Have you asked your insurance company? Or was Aqua Signal just covering their arses?
I have never needed to ask my insurers because I have never considered putting a LED light fitting into a lens unit that was designed and tested for use with an incandescent bulb that has a single vertical filament.

Rappey

Visit site
It appears some led lighting is interfering with vhf as the leds run at the same frequency as vhf and ais.
The us coastguard has published a warning about it.
Seems any led on the boat (cabin lights) can interfere unless its specifically made for marine use and is adequetly shielded.
The link is a small pdf from the united states coast guard website.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiJ3oWYyOv_AhUm9bsIHVuEAEE4ChAWegQIBBAB&url=https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%20Documents/5p/CG-5PC/INV/Alerts/1318.pdf?ver=2018-08-16-091109-630&usg=AOvVaw2LcBJIKvryPoOyFKqiJo45&opi=89978449