Leaving the Schengen area

WalshamUK

Visit site
I have a boat which has lived in the marina in La Rochelle, SW France for many years. I am going to fly out to France, and sail the boat back to the UK, where it will then be moored. When I enter France my passport will be stamped with the date of entry into the Schengen area. But then I sail away from La Rochelle to the UK, without meeting border guards. So how do I get my passport stamped to prove that I am not clocking up days in the Schengen area?

More to the point, when I next enter the Schengen area after bringing my boat back to the UK, the system will surely record me as being in France. I wish to avoid such problems. But how?

Keith J.

KLBH

Visit site
I would think that you have to go into a port of entry just before you leave France to check out of France, they should then give you exit papers and stamp your passport as having left France and the Shengen area.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
From another post on here by a chap who did exactly what you are planning. He was in Roscoff marina and popped into the ferry terminal where the 'checking out' was done. Please ensure that you do check out as you could find yourself unable to ever check in again in the future if you don't.

Sorry, I can't point you at the post, we are about to depart for Roscoff, but a search of the forums should help. Anything to get away from the football and the GP Sailing 'circus' that has just rocked up in Plymouth.

WalshamUK

Visit site
Just done it, see my post below:

Sailing to France.

That's very helpful. Thanks.

A further thought/question - I intend sailing direct from La Rochelle to Falmouth. Even with fine weather that is at least 60 hours (it's 300nautical miles), and quite likely it will take much more time. So how do I get a PCR virus test done in the 72 hours before arrival in the UK?

ean_p

Visit site

A further thought/question - I intend sailing direct from La Rochelle to Falmouth. Even with fine weather that is at least 60 hours (it's 300nautical miles), and quite likely it will take much more time. So how do I get a PCR virus test done in the 72 hours before arrival in the UK?
Is not the time clock based on the time you leave the country on your chosen transport.....its 72 hours before you cast off...not when you arrive in the UK I think!

st599

Visit site
You'll also need to have proof of your return test bookings when you contact Border Force to check in to the UK.

Just another added cost on top of the VAT.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Yes, but the issue is really when does the 72 hours stop and as ean.p says "You must take the test in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs. " (my bold) Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing before you travel to England

For European/UK travel the 72 hour before departure is the rule so, as long as travel is direct from A to B without a stop in country C on the way, can't see a problem.

I've been looking for info for our flights in 10 days and and I can't find anything about tests expiring once travel has commenced. I was looking at the position if our direct flight was cancelled and we had to fly indirect route with an overnight stop in hotel outside the airport, which would then entail re-test if 72 hrs expired before second flight

[3889]

Visit site
Why not ask about covid tests on the ships forum, they must be doing this all the time? ...
Problem is that there are rules then there is the carriers' interpretations of the rules. People have been turned back at boarding gates because their test has expired before their flight's arrival. Until someone sues an airline for this they'll carry on doing it through fear of being fined themselves.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Simples, you stop off at a port where this is possible.

Friends on the Tamar were fined £500 each for not following the rules.

Lightwave395

Visit site

Might be worth considering a stop in Roscoff where you could get a test and an exit stamp, it's barely out of the way

Captain Jan

Visit site
This is not a French story but it is still relevant. 2 weeks ago I took the ferry to Holland. No problems getting on the ferry. I was stamped in at the border. I asked the question, " Have you electronically registered me into Schengen area. The answer was "no, we have checked the database for undesirable persons in Holland and you are welcome". I explained I was travelling to a boat in Germany to bring it back to England. If I cannot get an exit stamp, what will happen to my days registered in Schengen. The answer was" no idea, but we do not link to any Schengen data base, the stamp just shows you have passed our security checks, if you have to leave without a stamp it is not relevant for us". More gossip. I would have been wise to turn off my UK phone when crossing the German border by road, (even though I had email border force confirmation for permission to cross into Germany). 2 weeks spring commissioning in 2 hours, left immediately starting the voyage within the 72 hrs of the date/time original covid test taken . Did the british online declaration to a nearby ferry port. It was the weekend, no one on customs/ immigration duty at my exit port. The situation in Europe seemed totally normal. My thought was why on earth are we leaving the Lovely Baltic. I made the telephone report to the yacht registration line , customs, on arrival. The border force boarded shortly after & made notes on all my prep. & procedure & were happy. So far no issues. I tried to follow all rules but approached this as a mariner joining a vessel for delivery, work not a cruise. I hope this helps.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Why all this talk about checking into/out of Schengen when the issue is UK Covid rules for people returning the England?

Westminster required retuning nationals to provide a negative COVID test up to 72 hours before departure and demonstrate they have booked a second test on day two in England. Border Force appear to be pretty hot on the topic and on every CG safety broadcast I've heard this year has advised boats not adhering to the law that you might get a fine of up to £10,000.