launching a large boat with a tractor?

Refueler

Visit site
Custom made. Many different types, usually 4 wheel sometimes with steerable front wheels and drawbar. Would guess less cost than a road trailer.

Have you seen price of metal today ? Since the sanctions on Russian metals and products ...

I asked my pal who is Commercial Manager of a large Metals fabrication here - the sort of place that would make such an item .... when he started talking about price of the metal - it was crazy just for a plain 4 wheeler made of angle iron sections for my 25ft bilge keeler.
Add to that uprights and so on for the Fin keeler ???

Rickard

Visit site
A few years ago a friend of mine came up with the crazy thought of ramping his Princess 420 at our local boat ramp that doesn´t even have concrete longer out than about a meter. I said spashing no problem as long as the trailer don´t get stuck in the mud. Up is a different thing and very risky so I said no no
Well later he built a custom trailer and the Princess is now being hauled in and out every year which works pretty good. Still stupid as he drives a truck with a big Cormach crane that lifts the Princess easily but he continues to ramp it as it´s faster/easier :LOL:
Having that said I say no problem as long as you have a custom built trailer with extendable draw bar etc. It must be built with guides for the keel and such. Correctly built the boat can´t end up wrong on the trailer and it will work just fine
Me and my father has ramped quite a few boats with a tractor during the years and with the average ramp you don´t need any big tractor for the Albin Vega 27. Hp is nothing you need to think of at all, only weight. A 2-2.5 ton 2WD tractor will do good as long as you have some weight on the hitch

Shuggy

Visit site
I had a Belarus Tractor / Excavator ... I have to admit - it was some of the best fun ever ! It was way too big for the job I had for it ... but talk about Boys Toys !!

Ix3IYMpl.jpg

gDaBiMKl.jpg
That is one ugly duckling. Love it.

Refueler

Visit site
That is one ugly duckling. Love it.

The standard version has a rope pulley to start it like the Seagull O/bd !! You start a small petrol engine on the side which has a clutch lever. Once the petrol engine starts - you throw the lever to turn the main diesel engine over.
Mine had the electric conversion - small starter motor fitted to the petrol engine ... but still with the lever to engage and turn main engine over.

Here's the rope version ... (luckily mine used to start on first or second try) :

tommy2

Visit site
Me and my father has ramped quite a few boats with a tractor during the years and with the average ramp you don´t need any big tractor for the Albin Vega 27. Hp is nothing you need to think of at all, only weight. A 2-2.5 ton 2WD tractor will do good as long as you have some weight on the hitch

I measured the slip today and its really steep at 15 degrees. For the fishing boats they always seem to use tractors. I have not seen anyone use a car.

tommy2

Visit site
I know this is a very different design of boat from what I a considering, but they seem to make trailer sailing look absolutely effortless for a 26ft boat:

boomerangben

Visit site
I know this is a very different design of boat from what I a considering, but they seem to make trailer sailing look absolutely effortless for a 26ft boat:
Had you not mentioned a budget, I would have suggested one of those or its small sister, 23. I have a 20’ one from the same company. A real pleasure to sail. Really really well thought out

Kelpie

Visit site
It's less than half the weight of a Centaur and only draws 12" so yes ideal for a trailer sailers.

Sorry if you already told us this but are you planning on mooring the boat up somewhere between sails, or will she live on the trailer when not in use?

penfold

Visit site
Are these types to trolley readily available on the market, or is it a custom design thing? Any idea what sort of price you would be looking at for a trolley for a Vega?
Not available; most are either cobbled together out of old lorry chassis or drawbar trailers or custom made with lorry axles.

coveman

Visit site
I think you want to sit down and seriously consider what you want to do. Launching and recovery is no simple task - it even takes time with a dedicated trailer sailor. The chances are that with the type of boat you are considering, it will be so arduous that it will put you off sailing completely. If I were you I would consider something much lighter and easier to handle and then it will be a relatively simple operation to launch and recover, and you will enjoy sailing it. The correct type of trailer is paramount to a stress free launch/recovery IMHO. Swallow boats, as already already mentioned, would be great but they are not cheap - Do you have a budget as there are others that could be recommended?

Kelpie

Visit site
I think you want to sit down and seriously consider what you want to do. Launching and recovery is no simple task - it even takes time with a dedicated trailer sailor. The chances are that with the type of boat you are considering, it will be so arduous that it will put you off sailing completely. If I were you I would consider something much lighter and easier to handle and then it will be a relatively simple operation to launch and recover, and you will enjoy sailing it. The correct type of trailer is paramount to a stress free launch/recovery IMHO. Swallow boats, as already already mentioned, would be great but they are not cheap - Do you have a budget as there are others that could be recommended?
Agree. I don't even dry sail my Wayfarer if I can help it! Used to keep out on a running mooring and could go sailing at the drop of a hat.

There are some options for pontoons etc near the OP but I don't think he's said whether he would consider that.

fifer

Visit site
I grew up on a farm with tractors and own an albin vega. There's no way I'd bother doing what you're thinking of.

If you do decide to go ahead, a tractor around the size of a massey 135 would be absolutely fine for towing . However finding a road legal immersible trailer that would fit the vega is likely to be more challenging (and cost you another couple of grand at least).

You would seriously need to look at fitting a mast tabernacle otherwise getting the mast up or down will be a hell of a bother and will involves cranes, or if you're lucky forks on a larger tractor/manitou and a tall pier you can rest the boat against whilst you lower the mast down. Either way you'll need the help of another couple of people.

I'm not saying don't do it. Just think it through very carefully and be aware of all risks/challenges.