Latest rules for sailing to UK via Channel Islands from France with a dog with an EU Pet Passport.

angyd83

Visit site
We will be leaving France in 2024 and had planned to sail to the UK, however we have a French dog who has an EU Pet Passport. The rules are very confusing so I am hoping to hear from those who have found a solution.

I am presuming that you simply cannot sail from France to the UK direct with a dog on board.

Can you sail from France to the Channel Islands with your dog? And then from Channel Islands to the UK?

I'd love to hear what others have done. Sailing from France directly to northern Ireland seems ridiculous.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
My understanding is that a) your dog has to have had approved worm treatment from an approved vet within some short period before landing (24 or 48 hours??) and b) must travel by an approved carrier - ferry or air. The dog CAN'T land from your own boat; it must travel by a carrier with facilities to check microchips and documentation.

Note that the Channel Islands are not part of either the UK or the EU, so going via the Channel Islands will complicate matters enormously. As your dog can't travel on your boat with you, I'd suggest that he be taken direct from France to the UK.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Hello and Welcome

I would contact UK Border Force for the most up to date regulations. Then contact them just before you set off at regulations get changed frequently.

prestomg27

Visit site
Antarticpilot is correct. Dog will need worming treatment before arriving in uk. No more than 72hours (i think) before arriving. Your french pet passport will need to be stamped by the vet.

Join facebook group 'expat life in france'

Ps. I wouldn't bother contacting border force. Useless and will just direct you to the website.

nevis768

Visit site
Last edited:

ashtead

Visit site
It would be bizarre if a French passported pet could enter the uk legally on its owners vessel but a uk resident pet faced the hassle of travelling by car on return. My impression is dogs have to use the harwich ferry if carless or catch a taxi to Dover or Portsmouth etc.

prestomg27

Visit site
It would be bizarre if a French passported pet could enter the uk legally on its owners vessel but a uk resident pet faced the hassle of travelling by car on return. My impression is dogs have to use the harwich ferry if carless or catch a taxi to Dover or Portsmouth etc.
That is the gift that is brexit. Just after brexit we were having to pay 200 quid per trip to get UK animal health certificate to bring our dog out each time as well as the tapeworm vet visit. Officially 'imported' her to france and got a french passport for her and life was 100 times easier and cheaper. Just needed the worming from our local french vet who is a neighbour.

dunedin

Visit site
…….
I also have a dog with a French passport, and provided you have tapeworm treatment as above then you can enter UK. I do it several times a year, and there are no different rules for boats or cars. …..
Except there are specific rules - per the UK Government website you can only use “Approved Routes” and companies. Pet travel: approved air, sea and rail carriers and routes

These do not include private boats. Hence need to bring a pet across on a commercial ferry or plane.

ean_p

Visit site
It will have to have tapeworm treatment between 1 and 5 days before entering, Jersey Channel Islands Pet Passport - Current Dog and Cat Import Requirements for Transport.
I also have a dog with a French passport, and provided you have tapeworm treatment as above then you can enter UK. I do it several times a year, and there are no different rules for boats or cars. As somebody else pointed out the French vet will stamp the passport
Your post seems to read that it is OK to take a pet to the Channel Islands from a private boat ....is this what you meant it to say as that contradicts the link you supplied unless coming from Ireland.

Opps pipped at the post by dunedin......

angyd83

Visit site
From what I've learned since, it really only is possible to sail on your own vessel from France directly to Cork in Ireland to check in a dog. Then you can later sail on your vessel with your dog from Ireland to the UK no problem.

dunedin

Visit site
Yes barking mad if you can sail straight to Ireland /ni with your pet.
The whole B. thing is barking mad in terms of the confusion left regarding Northern Ireland, not just for pets. Nobody seems to understand the complexities created.
It seems in theory to be a way to avoid VAT and CE marking issues too, by going France, Ireland, Northern Ireland, GB.

pandos

Visit site
I'm not sure of this, so do check carefully: I think you may be able to convey your dog if you sail from France to Eire, and then to UK.
You would probably not do any better coming through Ireland, you would probably have even more issues as we are always prix when it comes to dogs...now if you dress him up as rare south American rat, or a ferret he will probably be welcome.

We wanted to bring our retriever to France via the tunnel a year or two ago and it was a mess to sort out what we actually needed.