Labrador Vs Companionway Steps

Jon magowan

Visit site
Have just acquired a Bavaria 33 Cruiser. We have a six year old Labrador that’s never been on a boat, but we would like to include him in our upcoming adventures.
Unfortunately, he just can’t manage to negotiate the descent of the companionway steps.
Does anybody out there have any ideas how we can overcome this ‘show stopper’ of a problem ?

ash2020

Visit site
Presumably he's going to be wearing a lifejacket. The handles on top are very sturdy so it's likely you could coax and help him down with the handles. If all else fails, maybe you could lower him down with the mainsheet tackle.

Jon magowan

Visit site
Yes, he has a lifejacket. With a handle on top.
An interesting suggestion, but I think it might panic him.
Worth a closer look at though. Thank you.

Visit site
I stand at the steps and my lab in the cockpit puts her front paws on my shoulders and I just lift her in. Going out she puts her front paws on the steps and I lift her out to the cockpit. Same technique on and of the side of the boat or the sugar scoop. She’s not the most agile of dogs though once in Bembridge I left her rafted 3 boats out, turned round half way along the pontoon and she was trotting along behind me. This was a few years ago, she’s a bit arthritic now but still enjoyed a 10 day cruise round the Solent last year…FA7BC3FA-3975-4D14-85D9-7006A2D2911E.jpeg

wombat88

Visit site
The beauty of dog lifejackets is the handle itself. The canine can be lifted with minimum loss of face and chucked wherever you want to put it.

I think this gives the dog a sense of security. I have asked it but am yet to receive an answer that I can understand.

William_H

Visit site
Reminds me of a funny story of dogs on boats. Doing a "Fire and safety inspection" on a friend's 30 ft mobo. The engine was under the floor of the saloon. I asked to see the bilge and engine so floor was lifted. Little Lily a tiny dog was in cockpit. Decided she needed to be in saloon. Jumped over the lip of the door (certain the floor was in place) She went straight down into the bilges past the engine. Took a bit to get her out but no injuries to dog. ol'will

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Maybe you just have to show him how to climb the steps?

A roof carpenter acquaintance of mine said his dog went to work with him and used to spend all day up on the roof with him. The dog used to climb the ladder!:rolleyes: (I didn't ask him how the dog descended but I think he may have had to be helped down like this dog)

DOG CLIMBING LADDER

Last edited:

footsoldier

Visit site
The unfortunate truth is that, despite the occasional, un-typical anecdote, a steep, near-vertical ascent and descent on an artificial structure is not something that the average large dog would naturally attempt to undertake. The OP has to acknowledge that he wishes to acclimatise his dog to an ordeal that the dog would normally avoid like the plague. Including him in the "upcoming adventures" sounds cute but may involve subjecting the poor dog to stress and unhappiness. It might be kinder simply to avoid having the dog aboard by accepting that some things are incompatible.

jasperthedog

Visit site
We found our collie cross preferred to "drop in"through the forward hatch. We would make sure the berth infill was in position plus a few pillows. As he got older we built a little slide.
Getting out using the companion way with a bit of help from behind.
This was on a 30ft yacht so headroom was probably less than yours.

SimonD

Visit site
I stand at the steps and my lab in the cockpit puts her front paws on my shoulders and I just lift her in. Going out she puts her front paws on the steps and I lift her out to the cockpit. Same technique on and of the side of the boat or the sugar scoop. She’s not the most agile of dogs though once in Bembridge I left her rafted 3 boats out, turned round half way along the pontoon and she was trotting along behind me. This was a few years ago, she’s a bit arthritic now but still enjoyed a 10 day cruise round the Solent last year…View attachment 152880

Exactly what we used to do. The companionway steps on our Moody 35 were pretty steep and high so I could stand close to the steps with the opening at shoulder height. A tap on the shoulder was enough to get our Lab to put her front paws there. Arm round the back legs , lift and lower. Easy and stress free.

We had a proper harness with a handle but she didn't like being picked up with it. Good for emergencies only.

GrandadPig

Visit site
I used to sail with my 42kgm Guide Dog. Yes I am registered blind. He simply couldn’t manage the companion way and at his weight his life jacket handle was no use. The best solution proved to be a dog ramp made for elderly dogs to access cars. The lower end had a couple of short legs to reduce the slope angle. The contraption stowed in a quarter berth when not in use. Lovely old boy died last month.861E45B2-932C-4A74-BE46-002D7AF7996A.jpeg

SimonD

Visit site
I used to sail with my 42kgm Guide Dog. Yes I am registered blind. He simply couldn’t manage the companion way and at his weight his life jacket handle was no use. The best solution proved to be a dog ramp made for elderly dogs to access cars. The lower end had a couple of short legs to reduce the slope angle. The contraption stowed in a quarter berth when not in use. Lovely old boy died last month.View attachment 152894
So sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our Lab in May last year and still miss her terribly. They really are a member of the family and so much more to you.

reeac

Visit site
A fundamental problem is that a dog’s paws. ….pads plus nails …are designed for natural surfaces such as grass and offer very little grip on smooth hard surfaces. Our son’s Labrador just couldn’t cope with the polished oak stairs when we were on holiday in a posh AirBNB ….he had to carry her up and down.

Tranona

Visit site
A fundamental problem is that a dog’s paws. ….pads plus nails …are designed for natural surfaces such as grass and offer very little grip on smooth hard surfaces. Our son’s Labrador just couldn’t cope with the polished oak stairs when we were on holiday in a posh AirBNB ….he had to carry her up and down.
Every cloud has a silver lining. We also have polished wood stairs with a turn at the bottom. Thankfully our current Labrador has never been upstairs - and as we no longer had children when we got her as a puppy she does not sleep on chairs or sofas (which our previous 2 did!)

srm

Visit site
English Setter normally stayed on deck and in the cockpit, a simple over boom tent kept the rain off the cockpit at night. We took him below for safety on rough passages lifting him up and down the steps.