Kudu is up for sale.

chris46

Visit site
FWIW, anyone planning to buy their first boat might consider buying one in full commision & sailing with the former owner a few times to gain experience & to get to know the boat better.

When I got my first boat I was involved in the commissioning with the former owner & had a trip out with him before buying. He the agreed to help me sail her home (a 50 mile passage along an exposed lee shore). He spent most of the trip asleep below or making coffee cos I ddn't want to leave the tiller - I was having so much fun. But his presence was reassuring & he answered all my questions about the boat & its gear easily. That 12 hour passage gave me enormous confidence in the boat & my own abilities too. We also remained friends for many years after.

lovely way to get your first boat.sounded like a perfect introduction:)

chinita

Visit site
When I got my first boat I was involved in the commissioning with the former owner & had a trip out with him before buying. He the agreed to help me sail her home (a 50 mile passage along an exposed lee shore). He spent most of the trip asleep below or making coffee cos I ddn't want to leave the tiller - I was having so much fun. But his presence was reassuring & he answered all my questions about the boat & its gear easily. That 12 hour passage gave me enormous confidence in the boat & my own abilities too. We also remained friends for many years after.

Same for me. The bloke accompanied me on my maiden voyage.

Hull to Hartlepool departing Hull Marina at 01.00hrs on 2 January. We shoveled snow out of the cockpit.

Poor old fella nearly had a heart attack when I missed the lock gates by about 1,0000th of an inch!

But, after that I had 100% confidence in the boat and my next trip was over 500 miles ending up in the Menai Straits

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
Quite !!
+1

+1

The guys a decent bloke who posted top stuff... He has gotten some sense and decided he needed to work to earn a living, so his plans changed and folks are dissing him.

Really bad form.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
who says

who says he won't finish sailing around the UK or even doing the Ostar eventually?

okay he has missed 2010

but he now has a better boat so he and his sailing adventures are still a work in progress

he has a few more decades of sailing life ahead of him than most of us blokes who post on here

I think that it is better to start out on an adventure and face the risk of failure or a postponement than to never make a start at all

In my partial journey around the UK I have come across the occasional sailor who seldom leaves the comfort of their home waters - five miles from their marina pontoon in a £30,000 boat is a major expedition

and nothing wrong with that of course

but this does not appear to stop them from expressing pretty strong opinions on the abilities, determination, preparedness or financial resources of other sailors.

Good for Nathan I say.

he made a start and accomplished a lot

not just on the water but in cyberspace too

He took a small boat into some pretty frightening conditions, he lived aboard a space not much bigger than a telephone box for two years

and 145,000 video views is a pretty good performance

Dylan

robertj

Visit site
who says he won't finish sailing around the UK or even doing the Ostar eventually?

okay he has missed 2010

but he now has a better boat so he and his sailing adventures are still a work in progress

he has a few more decades of sailing life ahead of him than most of us blokes who post on here

I think that it is better to start out on an adventure and face the risk of failure or a postponement than to never make a start at all

In my partial journey around the UK I have come across the occasional sailor who seldom leaves the comfort of their home waters - five miles from their marina pontoon in a £30,000 boat is a major expedition

and nothing wrong with that of course

but this does not appear to stop them from expressing pretty strong opinions on the abilities, determination, preparedness or financial resources of other sailors.

Good for Nathan I say.

he made a start and accomplished a lot

not just on the water but in cyberspace too

He took a small boat into some pretty frightening conditions, he lived aboard a space not much bigger than a telephone box for two years

and 145,000 video views is a pretty good performance

Dylan

i agree totally

tonybannister

Visit site
Took Dylans advice and watched the videos. Really enjoyed them. Nathan did not seem to make any claims to seamanship and acknowledged others had done much more. What he seemed to do is set out on an adventure and provided the means to share his experiences. He succeeded in doing so.

I found it interesting as it was the same trip in many ways I took with my first cruising boat. I had sailed dinghies only before. I also left St Kats in London and sailed to Stonehaven and beyond to Findhorn. I then sailed back to St Kats. It was in the 80's and I left St Kats in June arriving back in September. The boat was an Achilles 24. But it was not equipped as well as Nathans as a lot of gear was not available anyway. Did not need solar panels or wind generator as I had no electrics anyway. There was a battery but only for the Navigation lights. I really did learn a lot on that trip. I have never told the full story of that trip assuming it was only of interest to me. Nathan and Dylan show that is not the case and sharing the experience with others is commendable, even if it does hold ones actions up to critical comment.

Zagato

Visit site
I have never told the full story of that trip assuming it was only of interest to me. Nathan and Dylan show that is not the case and sharing the experience with others is commendable, even if it does hold ones actions up to critical comment.

Actual footage is definitely enlightening especially to a newbie like me. It gets across the actual rather than how you interpret words in a book. I am halfway through Libby Purves 'A Summers Grace' and if I went by that book alone I wouldn't go off shore :eek: BUT real footage puts all the drama into perspective and I now regard such adventures as a do-able challenge in time....err, maybe!!

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
I agree

Actual footage is definitely enlightening especially to a newbie like me. It gets across the actual rather than how you interpret words in a book. I am halfway through Libby Purves 'A Summers Grace' and if I went by that book alone I wouldn't go off shore :eek: BUT real footage puts all the drama into perspective and I now regard such adventures as a do-able challenge in time....err, maybe!!

video is powerful stuff

it really does give you an idea about the conditions

far better than stills

D

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Just remember that cameras significantly reduce the apparent size of waves & your mind, when out there, will significantly INCREASE them. If & when things go wrong it is down to YOU to sort them out while being tossed around like the beads in a Maracca.

So sure it can be great fun, but you really don't want to be there when it stops being fun.

Niander

Visit site
I watched his videos as he was doing it i was disappointed when he stopped
think he had a bit of a crisis
and the sea can be a very scary place at times
he even left his sails behind!
think he got them back somehow